Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the Cube for the first time with the defrost still turned on and the AC compressor groaned like a dying animal for a good 30 seconds. Of course when I repeated the noise for the dealer they said oh that is normal. BS this is not normal, i have owned cheap, old and run down cars that never made that sound. Why would a new car make that sound unless it had a designed by morons compressor on it or the compressor was getting ready to shit the bed.

Dink :mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
for 30s, I can't believe that's normal. My ac compressor at my house too makes crazy noises and the ac company tells me all these normal BS.

My cube does make noise with the ac but is more like .5 to 1s. Ask them if they can duplicate that noise on another cube.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The a/c always comes on for those of us with auto climate control. Presumably to prevent any fogging of windows. You have to turn it off each time (yes, even in 10 degree weather).

·
Registered
839 Posts
none said:
The a/c always comes on for those of us with auto climate control. Presumably to prevent any fogging of windows. You have to turn it off each time (yes, even in 10 degree weather).
I don't have climate control, but my A/C comes on automatically if I select defrost. I have to remember to turn if off. - Dan

·
2,084 Posts
dink74 said:
Started the Cube for the first time with the defrost still turned on and the AC compressor groaned like a dying animal for a good 30 seconds. Of course when I repeated the noise for the dealer they said oh that is normal. BS this is not normal, i have owned cheap, old and run down cars that never made that sound. Why would a new car make that sound unless it had a designed by morons compressor on it or the compressor was getting ready to shit the bed.

I had the exact same thing happen a week ago, I was amazed at the sound. A thread on this topic was posted earlier and I remembered it and did not put much into it. I was glad I had no one in the car. How embarrassing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My A/C Compressor makes the same noise when it starts up, and as it gets colder it drones on for longer. It was hardly noticeable when I first bought the cube. Now that it is 20F here, the noise goes on for 10 seconds! I think it may have something to do with the design of the AC Clutch... maybe this design slips more then others? I have never owned a car that makes a noise like this. (of the 8 cars I have owned in my lifetime LOL!) :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never heard that sound before the Cube, unfortunately it seems like the majority of Cubes do it, there's just a variation of how long it goes on for. I think the dealer's going to be able to get out of repairs with the 'that's normal' excuse until someone can link it to an actual problem.

·
Registered
671 Posts
dink74 said:

So, you have a sound, what actually is the problem? What function is clearly failing to perform it's appointed task?

It may be a disconcerting sound, but that doesn't in itself indicate a problem with the vehicle's systems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on other cars I have owned and other cars I have worked on this is a noise that usually leads to replacing the clutch mechanism on the compressor. If a new car has a clutch that is engaging hard enough that the belt is causing the noise than that is also an issue as belts do not like to slip like that they tend to wear out very quickly and fail in a catastrophic fashion. So yes this is a problem as far as I an concerned because it is not functioning properly if it is causing the life of another part to end prematurely costing you, me or anybody extra money on a non warranty item in a new car.

Dink

·
Registered
179 Posts
dink74 said:
Started the Cube for the first time with the defrost still turned on and the AC compressor groaned like a dying animal for a good 30 seconds.

ChristineK said:
I had the exact same thing happen a week ago, I was amazed at the sound. A thread on this topic was posted earlier and I remembered it and did not put much into it. I was glad I had no one in the car. How embarrassing.
What a coinkidink! I went to a Christmas dinner last night and we had our first snow. I started the Cube and "WTF"!? :eek: I shut everything down. I restarted and same same. It quit after a bit but what was that!? Of course I went to NCL and here it is. I too saw the earlier post a couple months ago and figured it to be a one off but no more. I ran my A/C all summer and never heard this ruckus. Someone at Nissan is going to have to come clean. 8)

·
Registered
671 Posts
dink74 said:
Based on other cars I have owned and other cars I have worked on this is a noise that usually leads to replacing the clutch mechanism on the compressor. If a new car has a clutch that is engaging hard enough that the belt is causing the noise than that is also an issue as belts do not like to slip like that they tend to wear out very quickly and fail in a catastrophic fashion. So yes this is a problem as far as I an concerned because it is not functioning properly if it is causing the life of another part to end prematurely costing you, me or anybody extra money on a non warranty item in a new car.

Dink
If this is a reproducable sound in cold weather, have you tried popping the hood first, then starting the car, and immediately inspecting the compressor and belt? 30 seconds is probably enough to identify the source (if not, then try again next time).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts