Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got caught driving home 90miles in a heavy rain storm. I take a look at my car the next day and I see that the paint on the grill has peeled off it two huge blotches and severall smaller spots. Now I know this could have occured several years down the line, but I have had the car for only 6 months and the grill looks like it is 5 years old now.

So my question is, would Nissans warranty cover this? I have just a little over 10,000 miles.

Here are some pics of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would think so - it's a defect in the paint. Of course, it's often hard to get warranty work done if it's not safety related (no matter the marque).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would think it would be under warranty but color-matching would look amazing!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would be sweet too! The only problem is that the interior of the headlight is the same color as the paint that is chipping off. I was thinking that the white grill might be too much of a contrast. I dunno. If I can get a warranty work order through I'll do it that way. If not it is off to the paint shop!

·
2,084 Posts
I am going to chime in here, I could be 100% wrong, but we cant always be right :p

OK look at the grille where the paint is, notice the paint is over the chrome like finish on plastic. Metal is very porous, plastic not so much, so add a chrome like finish to it and then paint over that and you have no mechanical bond for the paint. So add a rock chip and the rest is history.

Now what Nissan may say, it could be acidic tree sap, caustic bird droppings and oh yes the rock chips. I had a black Cherry tree that does strip paint, it seeped turpentine or the sap equivalent, you saw these clear blobs on the car and wiped them away and you saw primer :eek: I had the tree removed.

I do not see Nissan stepping up to the plate on this one.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I am really hesitant to even try. I may try multiple dealers though. In my previous car I had them replace the entire dash beccause it started bubbling up along the edges. I was 2 months and 1,000 miles away from the warranty expiring. The dealer told me that they do not usually do this since I used an dash cleaner and was told that Infiniti's should not have have chemicals added to the dash. He was nice and they replaced the dash for me.

Now with the cube grill already chipping, and yes, the cchrome underneath that paint is just as shiny, if not shinier than the chrome that is not painted, I would expect them to do something like that since I have really only had the ccar for 6 months. I hope! I'll be finding out at my local ddealer tomorrow. Hopefully Nissan will be just as friendly as Infiniti :yes:

·
Registered
657 Posts
you can just try calling some dealers and see what they have to say. but i love that krom grille too bad i cant just put it on my 1.8

·
Registered
929 Posts
I might get flamed for this, but take CK's idea to the extreme & "chrome" paint the entire car (or wrap it in chrome vinyl)! IMHO this would be pure awesomeness!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CK and None, In that case I should just drive in more thunderstorms ??? Maybe all of it will chip off and it will be chrome :eek: Hmm.... a chrome Krom? That would be pretty wicked.... I would probably piss everyone off during the middle of the day though. :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so a trip to the local Nissan Dealer and so far that service rep was a complete B****! She just looked at me and nodded her head like I was beneath her. Did not even acknowledge me when I first walked in and up to her desk. Anyways.... Usually have good luck with the other guy i usually deal with. But so far what I have been told is that it probably won't be covered under factory warranty because, and I am going to quote her here, "It should not have done that." She did not even look at the car either. Then I told her about the recall I needed to have done and set up an appointment for that. Going to talk to the manager on Friday to get his take on it. Also called the dealership I bought the car from and they told me that I would have needed to have gotten the paint protection package or I could bring the car in and they could look at it. It was not a horrible experience just a little irked by her.

·
Registered
148 Posts
call nissan corp. that seems to be the only way I can get s*** done. Was waiting 6 + wks for some damn door handle miraculously they will be here this Thursday after calling. I love the cube but I miss my xB...when it comes to getting it serviced....when I first got the car my address was entered wrong took me four weeks to correct that until I called nissan directly.

·
2,084 Posts
So dont drive the cube in rain? Got it :roll:

OK the chrome idea, this would be Cube Delorian.

The stainless steel car thing was an awesome idea, until it needs body work

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If only avoiding the rain is feasible. Anyways, I have some good news. The manager looked at my car today while it is in service and said that the paint should technically not do that but since I have rock chips on my hood they might not and they would have to investigate further.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts