Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Cubes with a standard woofer, where is it located? Is there a cut-out for that woofer in a non-woofer model? I figure that if I add one, it would be easier to put it where Nissan put theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
jerryc41 said:
In Cubes with a standard woofer, where is it located? Is there a cut-out for that woofer in a non-woofer model? I figure that if I add one, it would be easier to put it where Nissan put theirs.
It's located in the rear hatch door behind the plastic trim panel. I tried to find an aftermarket replacement to mount in that space and after weeks of searching, I felt it was a lost cause.

The factory enclosure is very shallow and it's oddly shaped which rules out almost all aftermarket options. There is no cut-out as it looks like the woofer, woofer amp, and enclosure are combined as an assembly. You'll also need a new trim panel or at least drastically modify the standard panel because it has a pocket where the woofer would go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that makes the decsion for me. I'll be mounting a backup camera on the tailgate, and I thought I'd put a woofer in there if it was a simple drop-in.

Is there a hidden location to put a woofer? I'd rather not use up the cargo area - small as it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
jerryc41 said:
I guess that makes the decsion for me. I'll be mounting a backup camera on the tailgate, and I thought I'd put a woofer in there if it was a simple drop-in.

Is there a hidden location to put a woofer? I'd rather not use up the cargo area - small as it is.
I personally ended up using the area and have a bit of a false floor. I still have a usable cargo area, just less depth.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
One member bought the stock SL rear panel for I think $150 and dropped a woofer in the stock location on an S model. I would have to search for the post.

I also remember someone modded the S rear door to accommodate an AMP instead of the woofer.

I have the Fosgate stock in mine and like it a lot, I have heard comments like "it is weak sauce" but it is good enough for me, best stock audio I have ever owned.

I can only imagine that an aftermarket frame and 10" sub in the future will be in order. I said the same about the glowing door sills and not one has hit the market yet so I could be wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
ChristineK said:
One member bought the stock SL rear panel for I think $150 and dropped a woofer in the stock location on an S model. I would have to search for the post.

I also remember someone modded the S rear door to accommodate an AMP instead of the woofer.

I have the Fosgate stock in mine and like it a lot, I have heard comments like "it is weak sauce" but it is good enough for me, best stock audio I have ever owned.

I can only imagine that an aftermarket frame and 10" sub in the future will be in order. I said the same about the glowing door sills and not one has hit the market yet so I could be wrong.
jasonbillups mounted the amp in the rear door panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
ChristineK said:
I have the Fosgate stock in mine and like it a lot, I have heard comments like "it is weak sauce" but it is good enough for me, best stock audio I have ever owned.
I agree I also have the Fosgate woofer and it works well. You can always spend more and get better stuff, but I am quite happy with the Fosgate's performance and location in the Cube. You can put woofers elsewhere, but why take up more space?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
ChristineK said:
I have the Fosgate stock in mine and like it a lot
In my experience, this is key. I've listened to some top end stuff & it sounds okay but not worth the money or worry (or hearing damage). I prefer more mid-level components (nothing too bright, too low) & consequently am satisfied with most systems. I really love GM stock systems for their warmth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I know I'm bringing back an old-ish thread, but would like to ask a quick question...

I have the base Cube with just the front door speakers. I eventually want to upgrade to the latest top stock headunit. I know the speaker wires already exist in the rear doors. I "think" the speaker wires for the tweeters in the A-pillars also already exist.

My question is, does the signal and power cables for the sub and amp in the rear door already exist too in the base model? If so, that will really simplify the installation of the stock Rockford sub/amp in my Cube when the time comes.

Many thanks in advance! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I already have the tools, knowledge and experience of installing stereo equipment, 20 years worth.

What my goal is with the Cube is to keep everything looking completely stock inside as far as the stereo is concerned. This will mean getting the current 2010 stock top of the line headunit, the stock sub/amp/enclosure, and for now, the stock base model door speakers, but adding another pair to the rear doors.

Right now, I just want the cleanest, simplest, and quickest install. If the signal and power cables are already installed from the factory, that will be perfect. Honestly, I absolutely hate doing installs, running cable and all the crap. I can do it and do a professional job of it, I just hate doing it anymore and would rather the stuff already be there. "Plug n' Play" is the name of the game this time around for me if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
my base model only had 2 speakers but the rear door speaker wire was taped inside where the window power wires are. i haven't attempted to remove the front pillars to see if the wires are there for the tweets yet. I also am having an issue with a woofer. I will probably end up building a fake floor in the cargo area and have the amp and sub back there as well as a very small storage area for tire inflator, cleaning supplies and flashlight. It will limit the cargo area but not completely take it up nor will it allow peeping toms to see my extras. Boss has a small pre amped subwoofer on WalMart.com for $131.00 but it is only an 8" sub and I am afraid it will be like an extra door speaker instead of a sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
There are NO wires for the tweeters in the pillars, Nissan seemed to be a little thoughtless about that one. I had tweeters added made a huge difference in the sound...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
TropicalCube said:
There are NO wires for the tweeters in the pillars, Nissan seemed to be a little thoughtless about that one. I had tweeters added made a huge difference in the sound...
No idea about the factory harness in the rear for the sub?

Not sure if I'll use tweeters or not, and if I do I won't be putting them up there in the A-pillars. That location is way too far away from the speakers in the doors. At a typical crossover point of 3kHz or so for a tweeter, it should be mounted within 12 inches or less of the midrange/midbass driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Yep that was me that put the amp in the rear door....:) there is not a factory harness in the rear door to add a sub....Everything is still pounding and doing well..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
jasonbillups said:
there is not a factory harness in the rear door to add a sub....
Well that sucks. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashion way... :(
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top