Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a Pioneer ND-BC20PA back up camera to connect to my Pioneer head unit, and I'm not sure about the wiring. Pioneer includes a large fold-out sheet with installation instructions. The sheet is printed in 10 languages - English not included. Here's the problem.

When I've installed back up sensors in the past, they wire right into the back-up light circuitry, so when the car goes into reverse, the alarm is powered. That doesn't seem to be the case with this camera. The wiring diagram (shown below) does not show a connection to the back up lights - just a positive and a ground. Another diagram shows the wires running from the unit to the dash of the car. The foreign language directions all show the ign switch in the acc position, most likely saying to wire it that way.

So, the question is, how can the camera turn on when the car goes into reverse? I'm afrtaid that if I wire the camera directly to power, it will be on whenever the car is turned on.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi JerryC.....

This makes sense.

The signal to switch the screen will be on your Pioneer head unit, not this unit.

On these universal units, the camera is on all the time. You connect the red to a switched +12 (on with the key) and the black to any ground. The RCA (#5 in your drawing) goes to the "backup camera input" on your Pioneer head unit. (There is usually one RCA dedicated to the backup camera on the head unit.)

You also have to make sure the reverse wire is connected to your head unit. Then, the screen on your head unit will switch to show you the backup camera when you put it into reverse.

Check your head unit wiring and manual and it should show this. What Pioneer head unit do you have?

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Dang. It never occurred to me that the reverse wire would be connected to the head unit. That makes sense. I'll check the wiring diragram for the radio.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the wiring diagram for the radio, and there is no connection to the backup lights. I'll call Crutchfield and ask them how the head unit knows when the car is in reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts