Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crutchfield answered part of my question about how the radio knows when the car is in reverse, and it nothing to do with the back up lights. The Cube has electronics that tell it when it is shifted into reverse. The Pioneer head unit has a viol/wh wire coming out of the main plug, and that wire has to connect to the car's reverse detector. So, the question is - where is the Cube's reverse detector wire?

·
Registered
671 Posts
jerryc41 said:
Crutchfield answered part of my question about how the radio knows when the car is in reverse, and it nothing to do with the back up lights. The Cube has electronics that tell it when it is shifted into reverse. The Pioneer head unit has a viol/wh wire coming out of the main plug, and that wire has to connect to the car's reverse detector. So, the question is - where is the Cube's reverse detector wire?
According to the service manual, the reverse selection is signaled by shift lever position for both manual and CVT. 12V is provided from under the hood, and when the shift lever is in reverse, it's coupled directly through to the backup lights (other side of which being grounded). Since the manual doesn't appear to mention a reverse camera, chances are no wire is pre-provided between the shift lever position switches and the area of the HU. Most likely it'll be necessary to run one -- shouldn't be hard.

Your Pioneer HU manual probably indicates what kind of signal it's expecting on the reverse signal wire (Ground = reverse?, +12V = reverse?). Knowing that would help solve the problem of connecting it.

PS. Are these specifics correct?
2009 Nissan Cube SL
Pioneer ND-BC20PA camera
Pioneer AVIC-P910BT head unit

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Pioneer HU is AVIC-X910BT.

In the past when I've bought from Crutchfield, they gave detailed wiring diagrams and disassembly instructions for the particular car. The Cube is so new that they just sent generic instructions.

The Pioneer directions are ridiculous - ten languages spread out over a fold-out sheet. They rely on sketches more than wording, and the wording they do have is not all that clear. I should re-write the directions and send them to Pioneer and maybe get a job with them.

Anyway, from what I can gather, I will have to run a wire to the brake light. Pioneer supplies an extension wire, if I need it. I found out that the speed sensor wire is the large blue wire on the right side of the radio plug, so that's another problem solved.

Thanks for your help. I have one more question that I'll put on a separate post.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm assuming when you say brake light, you actually mean the reverse light. I've learned that with the auto, there's a plug adjacent the gear shift with 3 or 4 wires. The reverse is possibly green/yellow. But you can determine that by checking its voltage to ground with the ignition "on" and moving the shift into and out of reverse. The voltage on one of the wires will change when the gear shift goes into and out of reverse. Remember, the ignition needs to be in the "on" position for this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
By the way, just a thought, but if you wanted to, you could power the camera via the reverse signal going to +12, then it wouldn't be on except when needed. If I were going to do that though, I think I would use the reverse signal wire to activate a relay that connects the camera to the ignition auxiliary power. (Reverse wire to relay actuator coil to ground.) Helps keep the supply voltage to the camera clean.

·
Registered
671 Posts
On pg 106 of exl.pdf in the Service Manual, I see two connectors at the shift lever that appear to register the reverse selection -- F21 and F23. Those two connectors are both depicted on pg 108. It appears either pin 5 (color = SB = Sky Blue) of F21 (8 pin connetor) or pin 1 (color = G = Green)) of F23 (3 pin connector) could be used to detect reverse.

I suggest testing with both and a voltmeter to decide which to use (set ignition switch to "on" and move the shift lever into and out of reverse).

PS -- General information on how to read the schematics is provided in gi.pdf.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I did mean the backup light. Since it's all in the same housing, I called it the brake light by mistake.

I ran a vio/wh wire from the backup light wire to the dash. The book shows that wire going to the "backup lead." I'll have to add an extension to connect it to the radio. This wire (vio/wh) is for the navigation system "so the system can detect whether the vehicle is moving backwards or forwards." A few pages in, it shows the same wire - vio/wh - being used for the camera. So, when the car is in reverse, the camera will turn on. Somehow, it is also possible to turn on the camera when the car is going forward. I guess the head unit takes care of that.

As for the camera itself, I see that it gets just + and - connections, so it's on whenever the car is on. It connects via an RCA plug to its own little box, which plugs into the head unit.

I'm glad I don't have to use this car every day. I've been working on it on and off for a couple of days - no rush. I want to get it right the first time so I don't have to take anything apart again.

Thanks,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts