Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm *this* close to deciding on the Cube -- it's just so funky. I went for two test drives, along with a couple of comparison rides on the KIA Soul and the Nissan Rogue, but the Cube is winning my heart.

I don't know much about what other markets it's been available in, but is there any word on how the Cube handles in the Winter?

I'm Canadian, living in Southwestern Ontario and we get pretty aggressive snow falls here. I drive a Toyota RAV4 now that has AWD, so I am a little nervous about going to a vehicle that doesn't. :-\

Any advice or wisdom?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Whereabouts in SW Ontario? I am in Bramalea, just outside Toronto. "Aggressive snows" sounds like you're in the snow belt (London - Orangeville - Barrie corridor).
I think the Cube will be fine in the snow. Maybe you'll want to put snows on it, but I think that, with the wheels so far out to the corners, she'll be very stable in all conditions, and the DVC will handle the slippery bits for you. If you need to rock it a bit to escape a rut, just turn the DVC off, right? As for the associated winter stuff, Nissan has always had decent heating systems, and I have used my defrost settings a couple of times for the front window with no issues. It's hip to be square, so go buy one already . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Milo - thanks for replying. :)

I'm originally from Hamilton, but have been living/working in Waterloo for close to 4 years now, and the snowfalls are disgusting. There's so much of it.

I'm pretty confident about going with the Cube because of the stability and traction control...is that what you are referring to as DVC? I just don't want Winter to roll around and to realize I made a mistake.

Overall - features and price-wise - the Cube is where I'm at. I am going back into my local dealership on Tuesday to get the numbers down.

Where did you get yours? Any pics? :D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Welcome to NCL Filthycute, nice name choice too :p

The cube has only been on the market since May 09 so no-one can know for certain, but agreed with above it would apper to be a stable box :D

People in markets elsewhere with previous versions could fill us in more accurately.

Hey, you get yours and tell us how it works out this winter and we will all know :yes:

Nice to have you here Filtycute
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
It's not DVC but rather VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control). If you live in areas with months worth of treacherous snow and ice conditions why would you consider anything but a vehicle with AWD (All Wheel Drive)? If you really want a Cube (or Soul), I suppose you could always use chains or buy studded winter tires. But for me personally (and my family's safety), I would only buy a 4WD or AWD vehicle if we resided in an area prone to heavy snowfall. Maybe you can make the Rav4 your winter ride and the Cube your summer ride? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
No IceCube here. :no: When the white fly's I'll be in my F-350 Super Duty 4x4. :yes: 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
whtbst said:
It's not DVC but rather VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control). If you live in areas with months worth of treacherous snow and ice conditions why would you consider anything but a vehicle with AWD (All Wheel Drive)? If you really want a Cube (or Soul), I suppose you could always use chains or buy studded winter tires. But for me personally (and my family's safety), I would only buy a 4WD or AWD vehicle if we resided in an area prone to heavy snowfall. Maybe you can make the Rav4 your winter ride and the Cube your summer ride? :)
He is in what Ontarians call the snow belt, but the amounts of snow are more than managable by a competent driver w/o AWD (or 4WD). We get large amounts of snow in short amounts of time, but it settles quickly, and Waterloo is a good sized city with lots of plows. I think his concern (and mine) is what happens before the plows get finished, and I see no real worries on the horizon. As for chains, they are not legal for use on Ontario roads. I'm not sure about studded tires, though.

Seriously, folks, around these parts (we're only an hour apart), all most people need for the winter is a good set of snows. My wife had a Stylus (Isuzu) years back, and that thing was death in the snow. Best car we've owned for handling in dry weather, but any amount of snow, and that thing was done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I love my Cube but driving it in the snow..i dont know about that one. I think AWD vehicle would be best for your situation. Keep the RAV4 for winter and the Cube for summer if you can keep both rides.
Good Luck! I hope you get a Cube!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone -

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Oh, and I'm a "she". :p

My beloved RAV4 is now 8 years old, but has only 147 clicks and no major (or minor) problems going on. So I'm considering keeping it as my Winter car, while buying the Cube for the other 3 months of the year. har har.

Milo, the snow is manageable around here, yes...once the roads are plowed. But in my 4 years living here, I have to say, the City isn't that quick to send plows out after a major storm. In Hamilton, it's cleared before you're up for work in the morning. Here? You're slogging TO work in it. Hence my nervousness.

I hate Waterloo.

I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to get some numbers and try and come to a decision. I spent a few hours yesterday washing my RAV, inside and out, and suddenly felt bad about wanting to replace it.

Do you guys have opinions about the value of driving a car into the ground?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ChristineK said:
Welcome to NCL Filthycute, nice name choice too :p

The cube has only been on the market since May 09 so no-one can know for certain, but agreed with above it would apper to be a stable box :D

People in markets elsewhere with previous versions could fill us in more accurately.

Hey, you get yours and tell us how it works out this winter and we will all know :yes:

Nice to have you here Filtycute
Thanks, Christine! I got my name from the Prince song, Raspberry Beret. "You're filthy cute and, baby, you know it." :p

I can't find much on how the Cube handles in Winter from foreign markets. I was hoping Nissan would have some info on it, but they just assure me it'll be fantastic in the snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
hi from b.c. hope you buy your cube, and keep your rav for the winter, i just gave up my 20 year old mazda :sick: i miss her, she got me through everything .... but i got a new baby now, platinum s hope she wiil last 20 years :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
filthycute said:
Hi everyone -

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Oh, and I'm a "she". :p

My beloved RAV4 is now 8 years old, but has only 147 clicks and no major (or minor) problems going on. So I'm considering keeping it as my Winter car, while buying the Cube for the other 3 months of the year. har har.

Milo, the snow is manageable around here, yes...once the roads are plowed. But in my 4 years living here, I have to say, the City isn't that quick to send plows out after a major storm. In Hamilton, it's cleared before you're up for work in the morning. Here? You're slogging TO work in it. Hence my nervousness.

I hate Waterloo.

I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to get some numbers and try and come to a decision. I spent a few hours yesterday washing my RAV, inside and out, and suddenly felt bad about wanting to replace it.

Do you guys have opinions about the value of driving a car into the ground?

i honestly only believe in driving a car "into the ground" You will never get your moneys worth out of a well driven car. Even with no problems... its almost a better value to keep it once you own it. My mom did it with our 95 nissan maxima (bought in 94 a year early) we had it for 14 years and finally just sold it to my uncle for 6k because it was still in such great condition inside and out. We only sold it cause the cops in this area had an issue with me...and followed my car daily. :sick:
hope everythings works out for you! Cubelove.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
ericalynnecarson said:
i honestly only believe in driving a car "into the ground" You will never get your moneys worth out of a well driven car. Even with no problems... its almost a better value to keep it once you own it. My mom did it with our 95 nissan maxima (bought in 94 a year early) we had it for 14 years and finally just sold it to my uncle for 6k because it was still in such great condition inside and out. We only sold it cause the cops in this area had an issue with me...and followed my car daily. :sick:
hope everythings works out for you! Cubelove.
You sold a 95 year model car for 6K? Wow you deserve an awesome score award for that deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
none said:
Does AWD really make a difference in winter? Can't defy the laws of physics... rubber does not grip ice.
a lot of it depends on the weight of the car and other aspects (suspension, brakes, everything really). but an AWD car will be much easier to handle in the snow! on ice, well, not so much, but i'd still feel safer with AWD because when the car does get purchase on the road, it'll be easier to regain control. or so i imagine :roll:

my bf has a subaru sti with AWD and it's a mean sucker in the snow once it has its nice sticky snow tires on :) we will be driving it primarily in the winter, though the cube will come out on non-blizzardy days.

filthycube, since you already have an AWD car and plan on using it this winter anyway, why not wait until next spring to get a cube? that way you can read about everyone else's experiences and use those to help you make your decision. keep in mind, though, that most decent new AWD cars cost a lot more than the cube and get worse MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Filthycute, if you can afford to carry both vehicles, why not do it? The added confidence of having the AWD in winter weather will automatically make you safer. Timid drivers are accidents waiting to occur. For the record, AWD is better than 4WD. I always drive my vehicles until they fall apart, sometimes literally. Once it's off the lot you will never get your $$$ out of a car, unless it turns into a "classic", AND you babied it, AND it has no flaws, etc.

In short, DRIVE IT 'TIL IT DROPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Meh . . .once the engine heats up, it will all melt. First corner it all sloshes to the side and soaks some poor bastard on the sidewalk. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I cannot wait for that! Fun Fun Fun. Not for the guy on the sidewalk, but hey we have to have our simple pleasures. I don't have a train horn...... Yet.....
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Milo said:
Meh . . .once the engine heats up, it will all melt. First corner it all sloshes to the side and soaks some poor bastard on the sidewalk. :eek:
You are bad, that poor basterd will be me, with my luck :( :D

The horn is mine for the cell phone people in my area :yes:
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top