Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Cube since July of 2009 and I have repaired more windshield rock chips than I have ever had with any car. Are the rest of you having to repair chips in the windshield as often as me? Or am I just that unlucky, it seems if theres one pebble bouncing on the highway its going to hit me and cause a crack on my windshield, so I went out looking to see if theres anything I can buy, Ive seen some SUV's with a deflector type thing on the front, a tiny little visor as it would seem, they say it helps protect against windshield breaks, but so far its not offerred on the Cube, yea it makes cars look worse but it saves time with repairs, so I ran across a Cube Nose Mask but so far when I call they either dont answer or they dont know if it helps protect the windshield, most research says it helps protect the body from rock chips not the windshield, so can anyone shed any light or help point me in some direction?

fyi my Cube is black, just black, and its cooler than all the other colors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously none of you? Come on not one of you has your windshields looking like someone took a pellet gun to it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got a cracked windshield... but only after some idiot driving a Lexus SUV tried to park in my passenger seat.

Sorry you are having bad luck with rock chips/cracks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe most of you are in the city, slow driving and short driving, I spend most of my time coming and going from work on a highway, highway miles are way diff than city miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
By any chance, do you tend to follow other vehicles closely??? Especially trucks??? Just asking...............
In about 20+ years of freeway driving to and from work I only ever got a couple of chips. Got hit more than once though, but without damage. Windshield on my old car is peppered with tiny pockmarks from over the years and the glare is really bad in the sun. 8) Should be replaced.
A hood deflector will help some, but upright windshields are a magnet for flying rocks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes its unavoidable on a 2 lane highway, thing is I have a 2002 Impala and its not half as bad as my Cube, I have a 98 Ford and thats the best one of the three and the one ive had the longest, I did some googling and sure enough others are saying its a rock magnet and complaining about the rock chips, so I assume most of you are not getting up on the highway for long periods of time, cause I drive 30 min to work and 30 min home and its all highway. every other day I can hear something hitting my windshield

·
2,084 Posts
First the Impala has a well raked front windshield, so rocks impact the glass much differently. On the Cube the rake angle is very low so rock hit it straight on. On my Fit the windshield is so raked it would take a huge rock hit to get thru. Some cop's have reported direct bullet hits to the windshield with no effect. Deflection is an amazing thing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I know, but still something should of been sold or done to try and avoid such things, so im gonna spend every other week fixing rock chips cause Nissan couldnt forsee this or maybe they did and didnt really give a rats you know what, I know my posts have read a small amount of times, but I really expected more people to have the problem I am having, I think ill look for cube owners in my area and ask them if theyre having the problems I am having.

·
Registered
24 Posts
YES, first crack today at 14,000 miles - mostly freeway driving; big commute. Snowy and cold here in Indiana.
Going to get my no-deductable acrylic chip repair tomorrow. I'll let everyone know if they screw it up.
My kid commutes to college and yes, he does follow too closely on the freeway.

The next repair is out of his pocket - my insurance co only does one chip repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only 1? sheesh my insurance gives me unlimited rock chip repair.
Still even with that its time consuming to have to wait for them to fix it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Chompsticks said:
Steel~Gray said:
I got a cracked windshield... but only after some idiot driving a Lexus SUV tried to park in my passenger seat.
LOL nice! Did you get your cube all sorted out and looking new again?
Unfortunately, no... the body shop still has it. The 26th will be TWO MONTHS that I've been without my car. They really should have just totalled it and let me get a new one! The initial estimate was $8500 and that was before I found a bunch of other problems that required a new windshield and to have several panels of the car repainted, etc. It's been a nightmare!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the world of big flat windshields. The impact force is greater because the windshield is at such a steep angle. I had a Jeep Wrangler and very quickly learned this. Definitely no tail gating, my windshield was littered with chips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts