Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cars have a lot of window surface area. If you want your windows to be mistaken for being down follow these instructions.

What you'll need:
Squeegee
Sponge
Bucket of soapy(liquid dawn is really good) water
Windex or other tint safe window cleaner
Newspaper

Start by cleaning the bugs off the front windshield with the sponge and squeegee. Give each window a good washing with the soapy water.

Next make sure the windows are dry then spray liberally with your choice of window cleaner. Use a page of folded news paper to clean your windows until there are no more streaks. If the news paper gets soaked, get another page.

Repeat for each window inside and out.

Bizaamm!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Re: Window cleaning 101

i can vouch for the newspaper thing. it works great, plus we can all be eco friendly and recycle! and for the most part, in addition to no streaks, there is no lint! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, my dad owned a detail shop when I was younger. [Best Bubba Beauford Blue voice] "I know all there is to know about the detailing business."[/Best Bubba Beauford Blue voice]

More tips:

To detail all that plastic in the engine bay, first mix a capful of degreaser concentrate with water in a empty plastic spray bottle you can get at most stores. Spray the engine being careful around distributor and other electronics. Powerwash if possiable, if not then you'll have to elbow grease a sponge and toothbrush around everything. Then mix a cup of Armorall in with some water to dilute it in another spray bottle. Spray entire engine and let dry.

Laquer thinner works wonders on brake dust, stubborn bug innards, exhaust tips and even minor scrubs that left paint from another car. Now remember this IS paint thinner so be careful on painted surfaces.

Toothbrushes and q-tips are your friends.

It's not funny to honk the horn when people are detailing the engine.

NEVER Armor-all your steering wheel. I might have to drive it one day and I hate the feeling. Also never use tire shine on a motorcycle that someone plans on riding.

I'll post more as I remember. I never got the $15 a car my dad promised me so I've tried to block it out all these years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome tips!

I also used to use OOOO Steel Wool to clean hard to get bugs off the windows. Its so fine that it will never scratch the glass and you can just blow the dirt right off or use a terry cloth to wipe the dust off :)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Steel~Gray said:
Interesting... I've never heard of using newspaper before. I'll have to give that a try!
The newspaper works well (no streaks) because it has no grain to it, like a paper towel does.

Good tips, though there's no real need to be extra careful around the engine bay (except maybe the battery terminals)... the car is open underneath and plenty of water splashes up in there when you drive in the rain. And does the cube even have a distributor cap? Isn't the thing supposed to be direct ignition? I know my S2000 is... coils right on top of the plugs, makes for a smooth running vehicle.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Engine washing can mess up an older car. The seal of the spark plug boot can let in water to the plug well, as well as random things like an idler pulley taking in water where grease has leaked out over the years... or wire insulation that has cracked now lets in moisture and corrodes/shorts things. Not sure if brand new cars are as sensitive - probably not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As the original owner of a 14 year old RAV4, I gave it at least a once year cleaning at the car wash. I avoided direct spraying of the electrics, of course, but never really concentrated on anything for too long. This is what it looked like when I traded it in:

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you use dawn or paint thinner (which I don't recommend at all but to each their own) make sure to re-wax any paint area that it comes in contact with since both products will stripe any wax or sealant that is on the paint. Also make sure to keep those products off plastic trim since it will cause them to dry out and look old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts