Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the other day "Why did Nissan put in a square dome light in the middle of the round ripples?" Does anyone know? This is one of the first major mods I am going to do. Change it to a round dome. Searching now for the right dome light to fit there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why not put a square peg in a round hole? We drive boxes! Embrace that which is not meant to be understood... like the shag carpet on the dash...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My guess is that it's just a standard Nissan part they use across platforms. Same reason (I guess) that they put that TINY little mirror behind that enormous passenger side sun visor. It's so funny when someone pulls that down, and sees the teeny little mirror centered on that huge panel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but then I realize, if you look at the dome light it is more of a rectangle and looks like a mini cube is driving on your headliner. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL Well to me it was the perfect size stone dropped in the lake. LOL

But it is going to be round here real soon

I did notice the same thing about the visor thought it was just me. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
But it is going to be round here real soon
Are you modding yours? I'd love to know how it turns out, or what round light you're planning on using if so. That light, and the 3 'reading' lights in the front of the headliner are my only peeves about the interior. They just don't quite seem to fit with the rest of the car-- luckily they kind of fade into the background and you don't notice them. Maybe that was the intention.

Still- if you change yours, document how you did it and let us know how it turns out!

·
2,084 Posts
Well at least I was not the only one thinking that was dumb looking. I did replace the little light with LED and that was a huge improvement on output and heat. Did the map lights too. Do not know if I will change my dome but it is stupid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I felt the same way. Why square? If anyone changes it out let me know what you use so that I can try to do the same. I believe it would look a lot better round...duh :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought it would be cool to have the light look like a drop. Like when you drop a rock in water and you get that little bit of water come back up out of the water as it comes back together. I think it would go nice with the ripple theme. I hope you can envision what I am trying to spell out. It always is so clear in my head but so muddy on paper!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
grugly said:
I thought it would be cool to have the light look like a drop. Like when you drop a rock in water and you get that little bit of water come back up out of the water as it comes back together. I think it would go nice with the ripple theme. I hope you can envision what I am trying to spell out. It always is so clear in my head but so muddy on paper!!
My thought were exactly, a little round triangular clear point.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have my eyes on a round translucent plastic water drop that I would mount instead of the square dome. The catch (beside it being $20) is that the hole is probably square.

Can anyone confirm the shape of the hole in the liner?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Namssorg said:
My guess is that it's just a standard Nissan part they use across platforms. Same reason (I guess) that they put that TINY little mirror behind that enormous passenger side sun visor. It's so funny when someone pulls that down, and sees the teeny little mirror centered on that huge panel.
i think its funny when people go to look in the mirror on the HUGE visor and there isnt one, i guess thats just a non-feature on the base cube?

·
2,084 Posts
The SL does have the vanity mirror on both visors. They are a bit small for the large visor but average for most cars.

Googling for round lights I found these
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/50578/pn/dome-light-clear-4-round/erm/product_detail.jsp

http://www.hoffmanengineering.com/documentation/RoundDomeLight.pdf

I did find one on fleabay for $5.00 but its condition was questionable. The round is not easy to find. Most have chrome or black trim rings and such. Time to paint to match :yes:

·
Registered
929 Posts
It is something intended for the house, but can easily be used on the Cube. Still wanting to find out size & shape of the hole beneath the square dome fixture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts