Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that it is bad to let any Nissan get down to the "red zone" on gas before fill up, in the Cube's case, lower than 3 bars, because the fuel pumps heat up too much when the gas tank is low on gas and can crack (cheap materials). Anyone know anything about this? What is the best time to fill up the tank to keep your Cube's engine running like new and the fuel system clean? Also, what gas do you guys use? I have been using Mobil only, and I have had my Cube for a month now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Hmm I've never heard that. But I personally don't fill up until I drive around 30 miles after there are 0 bars left. And I have had no problems. So that's pretty much very empty. I have 19k miles and only use Shell regular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
ekershner said:
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
I think Shell is superior to all other gasolines. Chevron is a close second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NicLX470 said:
ekershner said:
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
I think Shell is superior to all other gasolines. Chevron is a close second.
Hmm. Good to know. I will make the switch. Heard people get better gas mileage with their gas too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably best to burn out this tank then before I make the switch? I don't know much about these kind of things...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
asako33 said:
ekershner said:
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/family-money/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/?zone=intromessage


they're all the same to me...i go to costco...it's the cheapest where I live...
The gas is the same-it comes from the same supplier, but I heard that Shell uses an addictive that cleans out your fuel tank and prevents build up and sluge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
ekershner said:
asako33 said:
ekershner said:
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/family-money/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/?zone=intromessage


they're all the same to me...i go to costco...it's the cheapest where I live...
The gas is the same-it comes from the same supplier, but I heard that Shell uses an addictive that cleans out your fuel tank and prevents build up and sluge.
Correct. Shell is a top tier gasoline. It's all about the additives to keep your engine and all other parts the gas touches in the cleanest condition. The gasolines best for your car is a top tier gasoline.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NicLX470 said:
ekershner said:
asako33 said:
ekershner said:
I have heard a lot of people using Shell over Mobil. Is it better? If so, I will make the switch. It is cheaper anyways, at least in my area. I always thought Mobil was better.
http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/family-money/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/?zone=intromessage

Good to know. Thanks! I'll make the switch for my next fill up.
they're all the same to me...i go to costco...it's the cheapest where I live...
The gas is the same-it comes from the same supplier, but I heard that Shell uses an addictive that cleans out your fuel tank and prevents build up and sluge.
Correct. Shell is a top tier gasoline. It's all about the additives to keep your engine and all other parts the gas touches in the cleanest condition. The gasolines best for your car is a top tier gasoline.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
asako33 said:
or you could just buy the additives from your local auto parts store (pretty cheap too)....
True, but Shell gas is actually cheaper than Mobil gas in my area, so I would be paying extra for the addictive and using Mobil gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
gas is incredibly expensive where i live...so i go for the cheapest which is costco...I am aware of the additives so usually once every few fill ups i fill up with shell...I live in a rural place so there aren't very many brands to choose from: costco, chevron, shell and 76...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Something to consider too......the lighter your car is the better mpg you'll get. Letting your car run around town on only 1/2 a tank, refilling more often (not filling the tank) will provide better long term gas mileage. How much better? I have no idea, but the science is sound.

Of course when $$ change $.20 up and $.02 down on any given day throws all the science out the window in terms of $$ savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
dadto5 said:
Something to consider too......the lighter your car is the better mpg you'll get. Letting your car run around town on only 1/2 a tank, refilling more often (not filling the tank) will provide better long term gas mileage. How much better? I have no idea, but the science is sound.

Of course when $$ change $.20 up and $.02 down on any given day throws all the science out the window in terms of $$ savings.
I think that's stupid. You might as well fill your tank full for the extra 5 gallons/ 32lbs of gas. 32lbs won't make that much of a difference except for the fact that you will not have to fill up twice as often.

You can take your rear seat out if you never use it though. That will save at least 100lbs.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top