Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the wheels I wanted for my Super Black. They are Enkei EDR9 15" matte black, and they look great. I will post some pics as soon as the weather clears.

I have 9000 miles on the cube so I told the techs that I wanted to rotate the tires. I was nervous that the tire machine would scuff the painted wheels, but they did a great job. I want to get some black touch up paint though to mask the stick on wheel weights, ;-).

They used new TPMS Service Packs, and the light has not come on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pics...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Nice, same wheels I am going to buy, but in 17's.. Should look sick, been drooling over them for about 2 months now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I replaced stock steel wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
HRWatson68 said:
Yes I replaced stock steel wheels.
so your TPMS sensors from the steel wheels fit the aluminum wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
looks awesome. glad you are not having issues with the tpms...sounds silly but thats one of my concerns with replacing the wheels on mine. i personally can't stand extra lights on in the dash area so good to see the new tpms worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been quite a while and I have no TPMS problems. And yes the same TPMS sensors from Nissan went from the steel to alloy wheels with only a $2.75 "rebuild" kit per wheel from the tire installer which consists of new seals and caps, well worth the money in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Q!Cube said:
looks awesome. glad you are not having issues with the tpms...sounds silly but thats one of my concerns with replacing the wheels on mine. i personally can't stand extra lights on in the dash area so good to see the new tpms worked.
The only problem you can expect from the TPMS sensors is if you don't have then installed on the new rims, not if you do. They are not some kind of VooDoo. They are just transmitters and they really don't care what kind of wheel they are mounted on or want kind of tire (unless something has been selected that physically prevents their proper installation). Whenever you purchase new rims, just have the TPMS sensors tranferred to the new rims and you'll be fine. Not a problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
TrevorS said:
The only problem you can expect from the TPMS sensors is if you don't have then installed on the new rims, not if you do. They are not some kind of VooDoo. They are just transmitters and they really don't care what kind of wheel they are mounted on or want kind of tire (unless something has been selected that physically prevents their proper installation). Whenever you purchase new rims, just have the TPMS sensors tranferred to the new rims and you'll be fine. Not a problem!
I've read several other forums and talked to tire installers. It seems that there ARE some TPMS sensors that aren't interchangable between a steel wheel and alloy's. From what I heard it's more of an issue with the alloy wheel than the sensor itself. I read somewhere on a wheel manufactures website (not xxr) that they said a sensor from a steel wheel will NOT work on their wheels and a strap system is required for the sensor. It's not that cut and dried. But the good news for me is that others have swapped their sensors from the Cube steelies to XXR alloys. - Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Square1 said:
I've read several other forums and talked to tire installers. It seems that there ARE some TPMS sensors that aren't interchangable between a steel wheel and alloy's. From what I heard it's more of an issue with the alloy wheel than the sensor itself. I read somewhere on a wheel manufactures website (not xxr) that they said a sensor from a steel wheel will NOT work on their wheels and a strap system is required for the sensor. It's not that cut and dried. But the good news for me is that others have swapped their sensors from the Cube steelies to XXR alloys. - Dan
Wow! I honestly wouldn't have expected that. I would expect the ferrous content of a steel wheel to be easily higher than an alloy, and so it's hard for me to imagine an alloy wheel being more of an issue for a TPMS sensor transmission than a steel wheel. Still, if that can be the case, then it can -- thanks! I guess the bottom line is to ask the rim manufacturer if there are any issues in transferring the OE TPMS sensors to their aftermarket rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Wow! I honestly wouldn't have expected that. I would expect the ferrous content of a steel wheel to be easily higher than an alloy, and so it's hard for me to imagine an alloy wheel being more of an issue for a TPMS sensor transmission than a steel wheel. Still, if that can be the case, then it can -- thanks! I guess the bottom line is to ask the rim manufacturer if there are any issues in transferring the OE TPMS sensors to their aftermarket rims.
[/quote]

Trevor, it isn't the signal transmission that's an issue. It's the mounting of the sensor. Some alloys are too thick at the hole for the tire valve (sensor in the case of TPMS) and the sensor won't seal properly. Another issue with alloy's is the area inside the wheel where the sensors would lay. On some alloy's where the tire valve hole is, it may not be contoured to allow the sensor to fit properly. - Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Square1 said:
Trevor, it isn't the signal transmission that's an issue. It's the mounting of the sensor. Some alloys are too thick at the hole for the tire valve (sensor in the case of TPMS) and the sensor won't seal properly. Another issue with alloy's is the area inside the wheel where the sensors would lay. On some alloy's where the tire valve hole is, it may not be contoured to allow the sensor to fit properly. - Dan
Ah, OK, it's a straight incompatibility problem, that I can appreciate. Again, it comes down to asking the rim manufacturer whether the rim is compatible with the TPMS sensor.

When I was looking for aftermarket rims, DiscountTireDirect.com and TireRack.com both indicated whether the rim was TPMS sensor compatible -- that's what I went by. I found it to be the rare case that a rim was incompatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
TrevorS said:
Ah, OK, it's a straight incompatiility probem, that I can appreciate. Again, it comes down to asking the rim manufacturer whether the rim is compatible with the TPMS sensor.

When I was looking for aftermarket rims, DiscountTireDirect.com and TireRack.com both indicated whether the rim was TPMS sensor compatible -- that's what I went by. I found it to be the rare case that a rim was incompatible.
Now that's some good info, Thanks - Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
the steel wheels tpms will work in Enkei GW8 they bolt right in
how ever the balanced is way off and mas amounts of weight's are needed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
cube-in said:
the steel wheels tpms will work in Enkei GW8 they bolt right in
how ever the balanced is way off and mas amounts of weight's are needed
Yes, that happened when I installed aftermarket TPMS (Orange) on my Eclipse' Enkei rims as well. That may be typical, I don't know.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
I wonder if moving the stock sensors to new wheels will effect the recall or how Nissan will deal with the recalled part.

Still there effected part but now on an aftermarket product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
ChristineK said:
I wonder if moving the stock sensors to new wheels will effect the recall or how Nissan will deal with the recalled part.

Still there effected part but now on an aftermarket product.
I'm sure Nissan won't touch them on aftermarket wheels (like for the nut recall). But it shouldn't be an issue anyway. When the tire dealer removes the TPMS from the stock wheels they're required to use a new installation kit when they reinstall them. The kit has a new seal, washer, valve stem, and nut.

No clue what the dealer would do on a warranty issue if the sensor went bad inside of an aftermarket wheel. - Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
.......ah crap.......

I've always had two sets of wheels, so I can switch between winter and summer tires, but forgot about the TPMS.

Even if I bought new transmitters, I'd need to "activate them" when switching tires with consult III (which I don't have), so it still means a trip to the dealer.

Damn......

Dang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Well, some of us don't bother with having sensors on the snow wheels. For me, they're on the car well under three months out of the year.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top