Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pull up to the shop to get an estimate on some stuff I want to get painted on the Cube and when I go to open the rear door there is water all over the place.

It dripped all over the back paneling and then on top of the speaker box on the back.

I went through a high pressure car wash and this happened :no:

Anyone else have this issue? I don't believe I had this issue the last time however I also had the car wash dry it for me. Total bummer as I loved this car wash...I know I know I should wash by hand but I like the lazy way until the Spring and Summer time comes around.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Have not experienced this, but perhaps I waited a while after using the do-it-yourself power wash place. If I can remember, I will wash & open the door right away next time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I get the same thing every time I use a high pressure car wash....... I will going to the dealer next week for first oil change and see what they say.. will keep you posted if anything is done...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TropicalCube said:
I get the same thing every time I use a high pressure car wash....... I will going to the dealer next week for first oil change and see what they say.. will keep you posted if anything is done...
That would be awesome...it's a total downer if it is an actual seal issue...but hopefully it is a simple fix. Surely there are lots of us that use high pressure car washes but my bigger concern is the speaker + box I have that was soaked today after my wash :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think I've heard others mention that it tells you in the manual not to use the high pressure car washes. I always washed by hand so didn't experience this issue. I hope it's something that can be fixed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it only the rear door that has a problem ?

Surely that could only be a soft weatherstrip, or maybe a hinge or lock mechanism adjustment.

Shouldn't be a big hassle to get sorted out.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It says on any cube with a spoiler not to go through the wash. I went through one once and that was it. I got a liittle bit of water. I used to like using the self washes but I would never touch my car with the brush ever again! Hand washing is the best way to go. I think with the way the door opens, it is able to fflex a lot more. Grab the top right part of your door and you can move it pretty easily

·
Registered
671 Posts
Does anybody read their car manuals anymore? Or perhaps, did near enough anyone ever read their manuals? Speaking for myself, the first thing I do following purchase of anything is read the manual (I know, the original radical -- right?) Reading forums such as this, I get the distinct impression I'm next to the only one that actually applies their brain to any new ownership.

As already mentioned, high pressure automatic washing is explicitly warned against in the manual -- little surprise folks do it anyway, right :)! Seriously, if you don't care enough about your car to go to the minor trouble of reading the owner's manual, what do you really expect to happen? Either get responsible, or stay on a bicycle -- there's enough to go wrong there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TrevorS said:
Does anybody read their car manuals anymore? Or perhaps, did near enough anyone ever read their manuals? Speaking for myself, the first thing I do following purchase of anything is read the manual (I know, the original radical -- right?) Reading forums such as this, I get the distinct impression I'm next to the only one that actually applies their brain to any new ownership.

As already mentioned, high pressure automatic washing is explicitly warned against in the manual -- little surprise folks do it anyway, right :)! Seriously, if you don't care enough about your car to go to the minor trouble of reading the owner's manual, what do you really expect to happen? Either get responsible, or stay on a bicycle -- there's enough to go wrong there.
So what I am hearing you say is that those of us that do not read our manuals do not care about our vehicles? I must not care about a lot of things in my life then :roll:

Either way of all the things one should not have to worry about is a basic high pressure wash.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Chill man we ALL care about our Cubes otherwise we would not care about the water issue. SAure I read the manual but the door should not leak like this... gee just chill and remember we ALL care about our Cubes that is why we are on here. :yes:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sorry if I came down too strongly -- was just in that kind of mood I guess :(. But seriously, there is so much to know about modern vehicles, so many systems, operational details, potential quirks (including recognition and interpretation of the various indicators) -- I just don't understand why people can't be bothered to read the information put directly in their hands. Automobiles are probably by far the most expensive and technologically complex purchases we ever make. Oh, well!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fair enough Trevor.
If there is a leak for whatever reason, it's gotta be leaking somewhere.
Find that leak, then sort out a way to prevent it happening in future.

Replace/repack the weatherstrip, adjust the door (?), but the leak can be fixed once you know exactly where it is and why it's happening.

I don't believe you cant use a pressure washer on vehicles, but I do believe they must be used with a little common sense.

When you do an engine wash, you don't point the nozzle at the distributor do you, but you can still do an engine wash.

Slow down fellers and think about it. ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just a follow up thought to what Lance was just saying.

I don't know about you folks, but it's my impression that as the prices of economy cars drive downwards, panel fit tolerances are tending to relax and sealing mechanisms are tending to simplify (or even disappear). That can be doors, windows, hood! I'm suspecting that if we run a modern economy car through a pressure car wash, we'll be surprised to see where water ends up compared to low cost cars ten or more years older. I think that's why we've begun to see factory warnings about pressure washes.

Really doesn't affect me anyway, I always hand wash and wax. The automated operations can too easily leave grit, which then gets captured under their wax application. However, I do like pressure wash for the undercarraige after winter -- helps get rid of residual salt before corrosion starts :).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trevor, I'm inclined to think the other way.
It's not the lower car quality, it's the better washer quality.
Vehicles today are built with tighter tolerances than previously, and due to manufacturing practices, there is much better uniformity between vehicles.
I reckon the warnings are more due to the higher pressure used in the equipment in the wash bay, as well as the frequency that equipment is used.
When was the first time you used a commercial car wash/pressure washer on a car ?
5-10 yr ago ? they weren't all that good back then, you had to hunt around to find one.
Down here they've only been around for 10-12yrs.
Today, point it your leg, and you'll blow a hole in it.

My 2c worth again ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mostly use the high pressures during the winter months as I am without garage or without a spot in my community (condo living here) to wash my car by hand so I am stuck using a paid facility but at least now I know to be careful in the spring/summer to ease the handheld powerwash gun around the rear door.

I guess this was the last thing I thought to be concerned with but all in all it's not that big a deal...was just the initial shock of water on a very expensive speaker I have set up in the back. If it weren't for said speaker + vinyled box I would probably not be as concerned.

Can't wait for that warm weather to come!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
lance said:
Trevor, I'm inclined to think the other way.
It's not the lower car quality, it's the better washer quality.
Vehicles today are built with tighter tolerances than previously, and due to manufacturing practices, there is much better uniformity between vehicles.
I reckon the warnings are more due to the higher pressure used in the equipment in the wash bay, as well as the frequency that equipment is used.
When was the first time you used a commercial car wash/pressure washer on a car ?
5-10 yr ago ? they weren't all that good back then, you had to hunt around to find one.
Down here they've only been around for 10-12yrs.
Today, point it your leg, and you'll blow a hole in it.

My 2c worth again ;)
Could well be, dude! But I'm inclined to think my old Eclipse hood does a better job of keeping incidental water out of the engine compartment than my latest addition. Likewise, the window seals are tighter.

Q!Cube said:
I mostly use the high pressures during the winter months as I am without garage or without a spot in my community (condo living here) to wash my car by hand so I am stuck using a paid facility but at least now I know to be careful in the spring/summer to ease the handheld powerwash gun around the rear door.

I guess this was the last thing I thought to be concerned with but all in all it's not that big a deal...was just the initial shock of water on a very expensive speaker I have set up in the back. If it weren't for said speaker + vinyled box I would probably not be as concerned.

Can't wait for that warm weather to come!!!
A-men that bro :)!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I looked at the rubber seal around the rear door. It is a relatively soft and the door doesn't compress it much when it is closed.

I think the problem is related to the side-opening design. To get more pressure on the seal that runs along the roof area, Nissan would have had to design a door that closes left to right and then drops down a half inch to fully compress the seal. That design would be costly. So given the current design, it doesn't surprise me that high-pressure water can get around it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm sure you'll all seen those pictures and videos of cars being sprayed with high pessure water at the manufacturer's test facilities. That's what they're supposed to do to make sure we don't ruin our interiors and expensive speakers. Saying a car can't go through an automatic car wash is like saying you can't drive it in heavy rain.

There is nothing in the Cube manual warning against high pressure car washes. As a matter of fact, they say to beware of brushless car washes that might use acid in the water. If water is leaking into the car, and it is not submerged, that is a defect - a warranty item.

Speaking of water, why don't the U. S. Cubes get the washer level warning light that Canadian Cubes have?

Jerry

·
2,084 Posts
I am not a fan of the auto wash, I have never taken any of the current vehicles I own thru one.

However I do like the feature some have to wash the undercarriage. However the downside is your vehicles engine and parts are hot, thus adding cold water can have ill effects on metal not designed to cool so rapidly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts