Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a question and although I could ask the install shop I figured I would ask here first. I am looking to install the Viper Smart Start (iphone compatible alarm) to my Cube. My concern is with the smartkey technology that is built into the vehicle.

With this alarm it is required that one of the keys stays inside the vehicle at all times in a module to trick the Cube into turning on with the remote start.

So my question is wouldnt this make the vehicle vulnerable at all times since the smart key is always in the truck?

I really want remote start and think the smart start from viper is the perfect solution...but is my concern valid. Granted the alarm would go off, it is very well possible for anyone to walk up to the Cube and push the button to open it up and swipe what they want. Not to mention turn on the vehicle!

Any thoughts or feedback would be awesome.

Thanks

·
2,084 Posts
Well my first thought is the vehicle wont start unless you apply the break pedal and second your vehicle will not lock if the key is inside. I imagine you could over ride these features but would you really want to?

The convenience of one may make another more troublesome.

just my $0.02

Christine

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point...I guess I will have to make an actual visit to the shop and see what my options are b/c I dont want to lose the smart key functionality but as it gets colder the thought of remote start is starting to make me want it more.

We will see what they say

·
Registered
270 Posts
The smartkey range is incredibly short. Pointing out the features to someone in the drivers seat while I'm standing outside a foot or two away with the key fob in my pocket and the door open, the push start won't work for that person. I have to remove the fob from my pocket and move it closer to the driver. It's that sensitive. We discussed this in another thread and determined that a driver with a smartkey standing at the drivers door will not allow another person at the opposite or back door to unlock those doors; a nice safety feature.

IOW, if the primary fob for the auto-start is located far enough away from the doors yet close enough to the start button you "should" be OK. Your second fob would become your personal one to unlock the doors when you get to the Cube. You should be able to test my theory. I'd also suggest buying another fob and get it programmed by a dealer for your Cube as your backup in case of loss.

The brake set feature is easily over ridden (fooled) by the auto start electronics by tapping into the pressure switch wiring circuit.

Please tell us what you find out. I may want to get one next year before summer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...I am going tomorrow to get some questions answered by the installation shop so hopefully its good news.

It would seem that it would be odd that one could feasibly walk up to the Cube and open it and press the start button and drive off with it (after-market alarm going off and all) but still a potential concern with what I would like to get done to the vehicle.

Once I get more details I will post with what is told to me on this issue.

On a fun note I am getting my graphics installed tomorrow late afternoon!!! Can't wait to post pics! My cube is white and I am going to get black vinyl paint drips coming from the wrap-around window and the mock-up they sent me looks amazing...can't wait to post some pics.

·
2,084 Posts
fotomoto said:
We discussed this in another thread and determined that a driver with a smartkey standing at the drivers door will not allow another person at the opposite or back door to unlock those doors; a nice safety feature.
The problem here is that for this to work the doors have to be locked from the inside to function in this manner.

You cannot lock the vehicle from outside if a fob is inside. I will try this further and let you know what happens.

EDIT: To add this also allows you to be in the vehicle (with keyfob) and someone on the outside cannot gain access to you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ChristineK said:
You cannot lock the vehicle from outside if a fob is inside. I will try this further and let you know what happens.
Hmm, I've never tried to lock my keys in the car on purpose. ;D I'll have to try it.

Also, the OP says viper unit requires its own smart key so the driver may (will?) have an additional one on their person for lock/unlock. In my experience, multiple smart keys play well with each other and don't conflict.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So apparently there will be a Python model smart start on the market and the potential date for its release will be late to end of November.

With having the smartkey in the module in the Cube it will not allow anyone to unlock or drive off with the truck as I was concerned with. Apparently the technology from the alarm will override all this and make it not work for any potential thief.

Supposedly the Python will be about 20 bucks cheaper than the Viper but as we all know it is technically the same company so money saved is money earned I say.

The other reason I want to go this route is b/c (no offense to best buy) but I would much rather have this car audio shop install it than some kid at Best Buy. Problem with Best Buy is you might get lucky and get the great installer or you may get the mediocre kid installer...and granted yes there are plenty of great installers at Best Buy I would rather know for sure that my $900 alarm is being installed by a complete pro.

So as of now I will hopefully get a call in the next few weeks telling me to come in to get the alarm installed with the smartstart and 2 way alarm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You do not have to leave a key in the box for this car...You can you a different bypass...You can use the idata bypass be done with it....the smart start is high and kewl....I will stick to my $250 1/2 mile range alarm and remote start

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it looks like I have decided on the Python 991 alarm with remote start. Has an LCD panel to confirm all commands and will work from a mile away...they are also supposed to be coming out with their own iphone application soon enough so if I want to add that on I can do it in due time.

Installation date is this saturday so remote start here I come...plus it will be nice to have an advanced alarm for the eventual installation of my car audio equipment...woohoo for toys

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I now officially am alarmed and remote start ready. I had the Python 991 installed and so far so good. It has a 1 mile radius and with it being a two way communicator it confirms all my commands so I know if it is actually doing what it is supposed to be doing.

It works well with the SmartStart technology...I essentially start the car, disarm it and when I step into the vehicle I press the brake and I can drive off...no need to even use the start button! The key obviously must be in the vehicle and register otherwise once I touch the brake the Cube will turn off.

I will update this post if I find any quirks to it but otherwise so far so good.

Granted I opted for a higher end alarm however I am glad I did based on potential future projects as well as the peace of mind with its ability to confirm my commands.

Now just for Python to come out with the iPhone compatibility set-up and I will be wired!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts