Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

Video on changing spark plugs on 2009-2014 cube

16K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  hondo1 
#1 · (Edited)
Those of you who have not changed the spark plugs on the Nissan cube wanted to give some tips. Change at around 100k to 120K

1. use OEM Denso FXE20HR11 iridium spark plugs (Denso is the OEM brand Nissan used for the cube years 2009-2014) Found them on eBay for 4 for $13

2. The spark plug gap standard gap is ( .043), limit (0.55)

3. While your changing plugs go ahead and change the o rings on the upper manifold and the throttle body O ring. Got both as a set from Autozone for $18

4. According to Denso, the iridium plugs are good for 120K miles, I changed mine at 100900 the plugs still looked decent but I felt I was losing some gas mileage. so I changed it today.

5. Nissan cube doesn't use spark plug wires if you didn't know, they use Ignition Coil Boot, can get a set of 4 NGK brand for about $31 on eBay. After a 100K miles mine still looked really good so no need to change it.

6. It is about a 2-hour job unless you're a really fast and good mechanic, the spark plugs are hidden under the upper manifold. you also have to detach the throttle body and the intake or airbox whichever you have, I have a Takeda intake. Lots of screws to remove and few hoses to detach

7. It's really a pain in the ass, not like a simple Toyota just remove the engine cover and the spark plugs are right there, Nissan made it really difficult for a newbie to change the plugs on the cube.

8. In the US if you take it to a mechanic they will charge $200 to $300 for the work if you bring the plugs.

All cubes 2009-2014 are the same engine in the US
I hope that this helps some people since many cubes should be hitting 100k or more by now and will need spark plugs changed.
Also here is a video. I did not make the video please thank the youtube that did.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to let you know guys I changed the original plugs ay 100900 it could have gone another 20k possibly from looking at the plugs, What I did notice were a better throttle response and improved gas mileage. My mileage had been going down a few miles as my car approached 100k.

#10 ·
Ya the dealer will kill you changing the plugs in terms of price, I had my friend do it who is very mechanically inclined and it took less than an hour to do the job. If you got the tools and patients and watch the videos carefully it can be done. Dont forget to change the oring on the manifold like the video talked about. That can be bought or ordered on autozone for under $10.

I remember dealer wanted to charge me $800 for changing the lower control arms this was pre pandemic so imagine what they charge now. I bought the control arm and took it to a mechanic and had it done for little over $200 that includes the cost of parts. Im sure itll be more now with inflation.

#5 ·
Great video! Wish I had this video as a reference before I tried this a couple of years ago! It's a pain! You mentioned something about Nissan using a specific coolant. I looked at mine and it wasn't blue like Honda. It was green. I called the dealer and they said I could top it off with any multipurpose coolant. Am I missing something?

#8 ·
be careful. I bought off eBay what looked like Nissan. Box even said Nissan on it but after a year I got a check engine light, misfire cylinder 2. I read somewhere what ebay and Amazon has counterfeit auto parts. So I decided to get them from the dealership. I compared the two plugs and there were differences. Then I went to my auto store and bought the same Denso model number and that matched the dealer one. I’m not a spark plug expert but all I can say is the Denso from the Dealer and auto parts store were different than that ebay one. It’s been over a year now with the new plugs and no SEL light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.