Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, may get a new 09 Cube SL in the next few days and just test drove it. When driving uphill on a suburban street with speed limit 45, the cube seemed not to want to downshift (shift) unless my foot was off the gas. I normally drive an 06 Murano but thought it might just be a small engine thing versus a CVT thing vs my Cube is faulty thing. :-\ Thanks, and I'll let you all know if we get it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is no downshift with a CVT transmission (continuous variable transmission).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what does that tell you, aside from my lack of car mechanics, that this is a normal thing because of its small engine? I was just wondering because I may buy the car this week and wanted to clear up whether something was wrong. Thanks.

·
2,084 Posts
Yes as said above, you will never hear the vehicle shift or surge either. When you learn the CVT you start off and the engine stays at about 2,500 RPM constant and the speedometer just keeps going up and up.

I have cruised at 80 plus MPH and the engine is doing the same as at 40 MPG, but the MPG goes up at higher speeds where other vehicles goes down at those speeds as the engine has hit and passed the power band.

I love the CVT but it is for cruising, for fun I love my 5 speed Fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts