Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

Turned in 2006 Murano for a Bitter Chocolate Cube!

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
:)

Some would say its a "downgrade", but, I'm 47, a dad, and have 3 kids going into college...any CLUE why I have a CUBE now? My sons and I are very tall...we fit very comfortably in the Cube! I LOVE it!

I tell people I'm "Totally Cubular" now.

Regards,

Big

#2 ·
big_daddy_mpd said:

Some would say its a "downgrade", but, I'm 47, a dad, and have 3 kids going into college...any CLUE why I have a CUBE now? My sons and I are very tall...we fit very comfortably in the Cube! I LOVE it!

Regards,

Big
I wouldn't call it a downgrade, I call it simply moving into something more enjoyable. I went from a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab to the cube. Loved my Crew Cab but don't miss it a bit. Love my cube. I'm a 60 year old with no kids at home, just a wife, dogs, and cats. My cube is for me and suits me just fine. wife has her own car. - Dan

#4 ·
I love the clever names for BROWN! :D Ok Haters dont attack me, I don't hate the brown I am just commenting :p

I would not call this a downgrade either. Oddly the cube is well packed with features and safety for a sub 20K vehicle. Not all are sub 20K but the overwhelming are.

You can see vehicle well above this price bracket lacking in some of the toys in this car. This car amazes me, so does my Fit!

Both my pocket rides get attention in daily life.

One free with every happy meal.

#5 ·
Marilynfan said:
Welcome and nice colour choice! I have an Espresso Bean (Canadian version of Bitter Chocolate) cube myself.
Oddly enough my first choice was white, second brown, and last black. But when I was looking for an "S" with a manual the only one I could find anywhere in the southeast was a black one.....so I bought it. I really do love the brown although brown isn't one of my favorite colors (kinda reminds me of a turd). But the brown used on the cube is different, not turdy (is this a word) at all, it's actually quite charming and different. Although I ended up with black I have no regrets, thankfully I'm retired otherwise I wouldn't have the time for it's upkeep. It's a PITA but it sure is purty when it's clean. - Dan

#6 ·
When I posted a pic of my new Cube on Facebook, people asked me if it was "purple". So, Yeah, I agree, not your typical brown. As far as "features" in a sub-$20k vehicle, you're not kidding. I'm only 6 foot tall, but I have a long torso, and so do my 13 and 16 year old sons. We are IN HEAVEN with the headroom in this vehicle! When the wife heard the payment to "buy" the Cube...I nearly got lucky right then and there! LOL

Thanks for the welcome...BTW, I did get the design package, ditched the "shag rug dash do", but LOVE the carpets (very lush!) Also have cruise, climate control, iPod control on stereo, literally, everything I could need/want (literally, I snapped it up, because it had everything I wanted, and NOTHING I didn't). So, also, I wonder about putting a "hitch" on the back to hold one of those hitch platform/luggage racks! THAT should make long trips OK!

Regards,

Big

#7 ·
big_daddy_mpd said:

Regards,

Big
"Downgrade"? Sounds like a perception issue :(! To me, it sounds like freedom :)! Instead of choosing to compete with a bunch of appearance aspiring "others", you've gone with what not only makes sense to you, but also appeals to you! I'll bet that vehicle meets your needs very well, and also provides an enjoyable driving experience. Let those "others" eat their hearts out, you're beholden to yourself, not them :)!

#8 ·
Square1 said:
Marilynfan said:
Welcome and nice colour choice! I have an Espresso Bean (Canadian version of Bitter Chocolate) cube myself.
Oddly enough my first choice was white, second brown, and last black. But when I was looking for an "S" with a manual the only one I could find anywhere in the southeast was a black one.....so I bought it. I really do love the brown although brown isn't one of my favorite colors (kinda reminds me of a turd). But the brown used on the cube is different, not turdy (is this a word) at all, it's actually quite charming and different. Although I ended up with black I have no regrets, thankfully I'm retired otherwise I wouldn't have the time for it's upkeep. It's a PITA but it sure is purty when it's clean. - Dan
Black is lovely, nothing touches it :)!

#9 ·
big_daddy_mpd said:
So, also, I wonder about putting a "hitch" on the back to hold one of those hitch platform/luggage racks! THAT should make long trips OK!
There is a hitch kit available and the owners manual strongly advises against towing, but you are not talking about towing. That said I would want to see how the hitch kit mounts to feel comfortable doing this. I have the hitch carrier for my Titan and it is a nice thing to have. I haul my 6K generator on it and that bad boy is heavy. I would never ever think about doing that to the Cube. Hauling extra luggage on it though, maybe.

I have not really looked for the load range on the Cube, but for my Fit it is clearly stated not to exceed 800 pounds people and contents so I am sure the same is with the Cube. Simple math is 4X200 pound guys = 800, easy to meet that max in a hurry! Thank Goodness I am light :p

#11 ·
cube-in said:
a hitch kit would come in handy for a hitch bike rack .
i have not seen a Bitter Chocolate Cube! maby some day 2 white cube's and 2 blue cube's so far
At least you're seeing a few cubes, I have only seen one out on the road about two months ago and none since. - Dan

#12 ·
The past 2 days I have passed another brown cube on my way to work and on my way home. We seem to be on the same schedule...but he's not friendly - doesn't wave :(

Still a pretty rare sight around here to see any cube so seeing another brown one is cool.

#14 ·
Square1 said:
At least you're seeing a few cubes, I have only seen one out on the road about two months ago and none since. - Dan
Finally saw my very first on-the-road Cube last weekend :D! Well, not really, it was in a Lowe's parking lot, but it was definitely a Cube -- white! The owner had parked well back from the mob, which I can appreciate. Looked real nice :)!

#16 ·
I took a load of five [including myself] on a two hour trip to the mountains [from atlanta]. You are right. The car seems more stable with a heavy load. We were close to 900lbs of people, not counting about 100lbs of luggage in the back. Every one of us were over 6 feet tall too. I know the center seat in the back could not be comfortable on that long of a trip, but the slim guy in the middle said he was fine. We saw several people pointing, and commenting at us. Two cars actually rode along side of us for a while waving, and laughing. I don't know if it was the car, or if was the fact that we had so many people in there together. BTW, the gas mileage was not affected by the load. At least not by the cars computer...... 31 mpg. The main thing I wanted to emphasize was the ride was more stable with max capacity. ;D

#17 ·
welcome here , happy you finded this nice place !
yeah i wouldnt really call it a downgrade i will call it jumping into something new and diferent
look at me i went from an 2008 audi tt red fire color, to this cool little ride cube
the cube got me triple the sponsorships and a trip to sema last november while the audi only got my high mileage expenses lol! even a pair of small dingy carbon fiber paddle shifters where like $350 :roll: :roll:

#20 ·
Engine noise is more pronounced...but then again...4 vs 6 banger, 122 vs 260 hp, 32 mpg vs 22...it's all relevant. Surprisingly good "sweet spot" in the 3000 rpm range for the cube, torque-wise. This is more of a "tuner type car" than a luxury crossover...and I HATE the new Murano body style...they ruined it!

#21 ·
relicxdude said:
I took a load of five [including myself] on a two hour trip to the mountains [from atlanta]. You are right. The car seems more stable with a heavy load. We were close to 900lbs of people, not counting about 100lbs of luggage in the back. Every one of us were over 6 feet tall too. I know the center seat in the back could not be comfortable on that long of a trip, but the slim guy in the middle said he was fine. We saw several people pointing, and commenting at us. Two cars actually rode along side of us for a while waving, and laughing. I don't know if it was the car, or if was the fact that we had so many people in there together. BTW, the gas mileage was not affected by the load. At least not by the cars computer...... 31 mpg. The main thing I wanted to emphasize was the ride was more stable with max capacity. ;D
Thinking of load and stability. I used to help my Dad install carpet and so we'd frequently have a hefty roll of carpet in the back of a VW bus with rolls of heavy padding plus tools and boxes of wood tack-track. The wind couldn't touch us, but try that with a empty VW bus except for driver and passenger -- those things had a major reputation for catching the wind :)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.