Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I still wonder if the problem is actually the transmission? :-\
Today I talked with a very skilled, and experienced Honda mechanic. He also worked for years in customer service at Honda [not Nissan]. He said when Honda first came out with their CVT's that they had some problems with them. He said they also increased their warranty on the CVT from 36k to 100k miles to help relieve worries. When I explained the problem to him, he said it sounds more like a TPS [throttle position sensor] problem than a transmission problem. I still wonder [even though they have replaced a few transmissions], if it is just that. I also asked him if it were possible for a TPS to act up, and then start working properly again for over a year without another incident whatsoever.
He said yes it is possible [not likely, but possible].
I know service technicians don't appreciate people telling them how to do their job, but if you can find a way to subtly request them to check the TPS thoruoghly, then go for it :yes:
Either way Djbobbless, I hope everything works out for the best for you :yes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
After a 5 hour wait at Nissan, there was a code showing from the transmission P0705. I believe which is the transmission control module or gear selector what not. I suppose the car is confused at a idle and will not respond. Unfortunately, they cleared the code and told me to drive it and see if it comes back. I have a bad feeling about this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are stranded 600 miles from home because of this issue. I had noticed a small surge once or twice prior to this but it got REALLY bad most of the way through the trip and the CVT went completely out near the end. Pushed on the gas and it rolled us into the highway and stopped. Quite scary. Had it towed to the local dealer who first ordered a valve body assembly. That did not fix it so now we are waiting on a new CVT. CVT is coming in a few days after we NEED to be home so we are trying to figure out how to get home.

If you've noticed any surge do NOT take your Cube on a long trip. You may be stranded and Nissan has not been helpful in getting us home.

·
Registered
105 Posts
how crazy what year is u cube? i have a 010 and thank god no issues i got 7000k milles on it and i drive it like crazy i take it to the track and got on the free way and do 120 130 so i drive it like stolen lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have an 09 with 21k miles. We bought it the week they were released. We've been telling everyone how much we love it. But this has been a pretty miserable week.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If this CVT issue has been only with the 09's so far, then Nissan should just issue a recall on all 09's, and put an end to all the worries over being a victim of CVT syndrom. That would be very costly for Nissan to do. So then .... why don't they just make it a priority to find out what small component in the CVT is the "weak link" that is causing the problem. Then just issue a recall for that part of the CVT. The warranty is just a parts and labor deal, but your time and peace of mind is worth something too. I have not had the CVT problem again in almost 15k miles, but every time I hear about it again, it makes me want to know where the problem is originating in the transmission? Does Nissan even know? :no: :-\ :yes: :sick:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I at least wish Nissan would send out symptoms to watch for. I noticed a small surge after a long road trip but I figured it was some bad gas or something. I did not think it would cause such a problem when taking another trip. If Nissan had sent out the symptoms to watch for and the average milage that users are having problems we would have taken it to the dealership or taken a different car on our trip.

It was not until we started having major problems that we searched and found this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on coming back from vacation when mine started. 19k miles on the odometer. 12 hours left to drive home. Felt like riding in a boat. It wasn't fun but it made it the 12 hours back just fine. It's at the shop now. Hope to get it back soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow guys just reading the experiences us cube owners have with the CVT is getting me concerned. I have my 10' SL model w/ CVT since late Jan. so far I have 7900 miles on it and I have only had one funky thing that happens to me because of the way I step on the pedal.

I don't get a transmission surge while cruising, but I do get a "jolt" or surge like im trying to learn how to drive a manual and engage in 1st gear when I am about to accelerate out of a rolling stop or complete stop.

I believe it is just the slow response from the drive by wire and my bad habit of tapping on the gas pedal quickly and then letting go and then applying onto the pedal gradually.

I'm just worried my CVT is gonna go out even with the warranty, I hate the dealer run arounds that they give you.

I remember when my family went thru the crisis with the 2001 Honda Odyssey Transmissions. God! I went to the dealer 3 times before they ordered a new transmission for me and the van was in the shop for 2 weeks (this all happened before the service bulletin was announced for the faulty transmission).

·
Registered
315 Posts
DTK, you have to bear in mind that this thread will contain pretty much just the bad news... there's thousands of people with cubes out there who never have (and most likely never will) experienced the transmission problems described in this thread. This being said, if it does happen to you, take video of the tachometer when it happens. Go in to the dealer armed with that. It took my dealership exactly 5 minutes to determine a new tranny was needed. And from the initial phone call to having my cube back with a new transmission in it was all of 36 hours. I really cannot complain about any of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had 32,500 miles on the cube. Only once did I notice that the car hiccuped a little going up a steep hill more than a year ago, but it's been perfect since then.

I sold the car the day before yesterday (moving to Germany). The buyer had the dealer inspect the car, even - it was perfect!

The buyer called me yesterday to ask if they missed something, because the car wouldn't move. He said that it was running and in gear, but then wouldn't move at all!

I hoped that maybe the dealer just left the dipstick/whatever out of the CVT... I don't really wanna sell someone a car that lasts only one day...

Got another call today, they had it towed to a different Nissan dealer. The CVT went out, no surging, just dead. But he said that they're going to fix it under warranty in a few days, and they'll provide a rental car. The buyer also said that the dealer told him it was a common problem.

At least they're getting a rental car, in case this happens to any of you at higher mileage, they might be doing a better job with customer service now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey everyone.

Well I just rolled 2,100 miles on my 10 SL with the CVT and no problems yet. However like others have stated this thread has me concerned, and on guard which I will admit I hate. My last car a 1996 Ford Contour was a good car until the end. At 157,000 I just worried every day when I got in her to go to work, or on the 25 mile trip to my friends house on the weekends that she would not get me home that day. That was always in the back of my mind.

Well after the timing belt failed I said screw it and went out and bought the first brand new car I have ever owned my CUBE. Now reading these posts and doing more searching on the net I have discovered that Nissan seems to be having CVT problems across the entire line up. I can link several pages of stuff regarding several nissan models all CVT equipped. Complaints are the same Surging and sometimes no go at all people step on gas and nothing. If I could do this over again I would have gotten the manual tranny.

The suck thing Is I went with this auto which is the first auto I have ever owned. I have always drove manuals. Now I am to be honest kicking my self for buying it and do not trust my car anymore even though I have no symptoms of surge or anything car runs and drives like it did the day I bought it. I still do not trust it and I feel from the things I have read that we have all been bamboozled by Nissan and will all probably have our CVT's replaced at some point in our CUBES life.

It is sad that I am like this and cannot get over bad press but I liked my CUBE up until about 1 week ago when I started researching CVT. And it sounds like Nissan is horrid at customer service and Murano owners are probably the most angry bunch of CVT owners hands down. The Versa is known for CVT problems in its past few years. Altima owners same deal same problems, Juke owners reported same problems, And now us. It also seems Nissan is being hush hush about this issue and has increased the warranty on the CVT just to make you think it is a good piece of hardware and they stand behind it which is good. But having my car in the shop for weeks on end sure is not cool at all. I just think as far as Japan goes maybe Nissan has become what GM and Dodge were back in the late 80's and early 90's building some junk god I hope not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly my cube has joined the ranks of those getting a new transmission. I'm at 51k miles. At around 40k the transmission slipped a few times at highway speed, but then it stopped doing it just before I took it in. Last week during a road trip it slipped again and the rpm started fluctuating at highway speed. Took it to the dealership and they found a code stored in the transmission for a slip and then found metal shavings in the pan. The new tranny is on the way and they paid for my rental while the cube is down so I gotta give them a big thumbs up for their service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So...here's the thing that gets me. My wife and I have just rolled over 55,000kms on our '10 Cube, and we've BOTH noticed a decided lag every so often from a standstill. It doesn't happen all the time, and it only happens when the car is moving at under 15km/h. When it does happen, we can mash on the gas pedal all we like, but that little cube ain't gonna do so much as crawl along for 5-10 seconds before it finally decides "okay, it's time to move now". Our dealership is doing NOTHING about it. Every time we've been in the vicinity of the dealer when the issue arises (luckily it's not too far from our home), their service guys aren't working and "there isn't anyone else available who is qualified to diagnose such problems". When I've spoken with the service department on the phone, they seem utterly bewildered that I'm having issues. When I mention this forum and NICO, they immediately dismiss it because, after all, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. They told me point blank that there haven't been any CVT related issues in Canada with the cube. Also, according to our dealership, just because you guys (Americans) have been having problems it doesn't mean that they occur in Canada. That last part, I suppose, is obvious. I mean, c'mon...that huge invisible barrier between our countries not only shields us meek little Canadians from fair shipping costs, it also negates mechanical issues from cars manufactured in neither of our homelands!

So, for me to get a service guy in there with his little diagnostic laptop, they're gonna charge me $160. Abso-freakin'-lutely wonderful.

/rant

I'm just happy to see so many of you guys getting this dealt with relatively fairly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
ESP said:
So...here's the thing that gets me. My wife and I have just rolled over 55,000kms on our '10 Cube, and we've BOTH noticed a decided lag every so often from a standstill. It doesn't happen all the time, and it only happens when the car is moving at under 15km/h. When it does happen, we can mash on the gas pedal all we like, but that little cube ain't gonna do so much as crawl along for 5-10 seconds before it finally decides "okay, it's time to move now". Our dealership is doing NOTHING about it. Every time we've been in the vicinity of the dealer when the issue arises (luckily it's not too far from our home), their service guys aren't working and "there isn't anyone else available who is qualified to diagnose such problems". When I've spoken with the service department on the phone, they seem utterly bewildered that I'm having issues. When I mention this forum and NICO, they immediately dismiss it because, after all, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. They told me point blank that there haven't been any CVT related issues in Canada with the cube. Also, according to our dealership, just because you guys (Americans) have been having problems it doesn't mean that they occur in Canada. That last part, I suppose, is obvious. I mean, c'mon...that huge invisible barrier between our countries not only shields us meek little Canadians from fair shipping costs, it also negates mechanical issues from cars manufactured in neither of our homelands!

So, for me to get a service guy in there with his little diagnostic laptop, they're gonna charge me $160. Abso-freakin'-lutely wonderful.

/rant

I'm just happy to see so many of you guys getting this dealt with relatively fairly.
a member here had his cvt replaced......... lives here in Vancouver, B.C.
have your people call our people !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having the same problems. One a recent trip I accidentally drove over a 5in elevated median and heard some scraping. But the surging didn't start until about two weeks later. My husband told Nissan about the incident and they automatically blamed the median for the problem. They stated by replacing all the tires the issue would be resolved. $700 later - no dice.

After reading all these comments I know I'm not crazy, there is an issue with my car! I love my cube, its got 60,000 miles and we've never had a problem. Its a 2010 and all I'm sayin is these Nissan service people are idiots. We have an appointment on Monday and lord love a duck, they better fix it the right way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just thought I'd update.. Dealer says they took it for a long drive and finally noticed the surging. They said there were no codes being thrown from the ECU but the transmission computer was showing a code, something to do with the Primary Speed sensor. They are going to replace that and see what happens. Supposed to hear more tomorrow.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts