Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've only have about 200 miles on mine now but the cvt seems smooth and steady. It is a little odd on take offs but I am getting used to it now. IT IS A 100% BETTER AUTO THAN KIA'S 4 SPEED in the Soul. That auto didn't know what to do some times it would lag in a gear then shift up very forcefully. Very very poor auto in that car. My 1958 Rambler had a better shifting auto!

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
It is extremely peppy on level roads, it flies to 60 and wants to be at 70. Just hills you need to lay into the fuel a bit more.

·
Registered
671 Posts
bluebonnet said:
Hello All,
Sorry (Christine, Yamamoto, et al) to hear that you are having surge problems.

I have had my new(2009 SL) Cube for 2 days now. Now you've got me worried. I'll be on the lookout for any weird behavior.

I wanted to ask the group about the throttle control as it pertains to the surge problem. Many cars today (including our Cubes, Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, etc.) use a "drive-by-wire" accelerator pedal. In other words, the pedal is essentially an electronic position switch whose position is transmitted electronically to control the fuel. Like any switch, noise or some other deleterious artifact, could corrupt the electronic position signal. (think of an old radio volume control knob that creates static whenever you adjust the volume).

I have read elsewhere some speculation that this type of interference may be contributing to the Toyota problem. The Cube surge sounds eerily similar. I know a thing or two about electronics and can imagine a scenario where radio frequency interference could (at least theoretically) upset the normal operation of some control electronics.

So, could erroneous (eg - false) accelerator pedal position signals create the surge behavior?

Also, I would suggest that anyone encountering the surge problem to note their geographic position (they may be near a cell phone tower, etc), and note whether their radio, cell phone, was being used.

Just food for thought.
So, if it's associated with RF interference and the throttle electronics, why does it tend to wait for 10K to appear and why does replacing the CVT appear to correct it?

You know what that speculation is worth? Nothing! (Same for Toyota!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
miata007 said:
I think there are 2 reasons car company increases the warranty.
1. give people confident that a product is reliable/all the bugs have been worked out. (ex. Hyundai is confident about theirs so give people 100K warranty).
2. there is a problem (ex. the TL/Odyssey transmission. There are people who replaced their tranny 3x)

As of the cube, I am not sure which is the reason. Time will tell if this (surge problem) becomes a issue.

I am quite sure the reason is to get people to purchase a CVT vehicle who may be worried about this "new" Technology. when I purchased a new Murano in 2004, I was very worried about the tranny as replacement was $6000 :eek: I therefore elected for the extended warranty upon purchase which cost me an extra $1500.

I also have experience with an Acra 3.2TL which I had in 2002. There were a few problems with the tranny so Honda sent everyone a letter saying they were going to double the warranty explaining the troubles were so few but they wanted to make everybody with this model to feel at ease. This is a copout to not do an appropriate recall and actually fix the problem IMHO. Definately not why Nissan increased the warranty. Only thing you will need to do is change the tranny oil at ??? miles which is not cheap but would be a requirement for warranty approval. I will ask my dealer what the cost of this oil change is but I seem to remember around $500 :eek:

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I am at 14K plus now and not one issue to report.

I would have to pull the paperwork to be sure but I think the Trans was $5K plus labor, and you know that wont be cheap either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like I have this same issue..

Just over 15K on the odo, and 1.5 years of ownership...

·
Registered
582 Posts
One year and one month 18,237 miles and no issues except a windshield that need reseatin at bottom.

Patrick

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
MDracer76 said:

Sorry to hear it, it was a pain. I have had zero issues since the new trans was installed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MDracer76 said:

How many times have you had the surging occur? Mine done it only once for about ten minutes, and that was several thousand miles ago. ...... Nothing even similar since that day. .....Go figure ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car has been doing it for three weeks. It surges at every speed now (used to just be between 55-65 mph).

It won't go in the morning. I have to restart the car to get it to go out of first gear.

It also make loud thunking sounds when I'm barely above idle speed.

I have an appointment with my dealership tomorrow to have it examined. I'm glad to hear that other people are having similar problems. I thought I did something to the car. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello jxk298,
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Let us know what they find.
If it is a CVT problem, please ask them for a detailed explaination of what went wrong with transmission. I have yet to hear what causes these surges. At 19k miles, I've only had it happen once, and that was over 10k miles ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine started at around 20,000. It was very sudden, and it got really bad very quickly. Hopefully the service department will actually have some answers for me, but I'm not very hopeful. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
105 Posts
wow am worry now i have 4000 k on my no issues but is this happend on 09 only or some body have this issues on 010 to?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think all the ones I've read about were 09s. A lot of them seem to start over 15,000 miles, so 10s probably won't see a problem for awhile, if there is one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How has everybody's transmission been holding up since their replacement?

I currently only have 1300 miles and.. I notice the surge.. but sadly it's always on my daily route to work near a bus station. It always happens there and IDK if something over there is causing a issue. Going to try a different route to work tomorrow and see if it's really something with that. I never have the issue on the weekends though. It's quite strange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The service department just called me about the Cube. They're replacing the transmission. They said they weren't even going to try any other repairs because they're aware that the problem is common. When I asked what caused it, they just said there's an internal problem in a lot of the transmissions that went into the 09 Cubes and they've been told to just replace them. Hopefully that will solve the problem! I'm looking forward to having the car drive like new again!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Car is going in to the service department tomorrow with only 1300 miles... I'm really ashamed that I'm already having problems within 2 months of ownership.

sigh..

121 - 140 of 165 Posts