Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok. Kinda of good news as it seems not something major. They have found out that a malfunction throttle body causes the surge & unresponsive to the gas pedal in the traffic light. They are waiting for parts & I'll report back when I get it back tonght.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's nothing to do with the gas. They said that it's the same engine as Versa and 90% of the gas here in Ontario has ethanol in it so they should have heard complaints long time ago (for those Versa(s) with higher mileage) if ethanol has any effect on the engine.
Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
So was it just a faulty part? something had to cause it to go bad right? I know in the USA the gas is bad and has caused many problems in smaller engines 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines, that's why I add the gas stabilizer. I do hope they (the dealer) has a explanation why that part went bad :sick: gald to hear your Cube is fixed though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They haven't taken the bad part out yet so I'm not told what was the cause, whether it's faulty part from the factory or not.
In our MINI community, 03 & early 04 MINIs had something called yoyo effect which was similar to this surge which was traced back also to the throttle body where the spring is not strong enough to fully close the butterfly. I don't have it in my late 04 but people are either replacing a custom throttle body to take advantage of bigger bore or just reinforce the spring by different methods.
I have asked them to save the bad part for me to have a look but not sure if they are willing to let me keep it though. We will see in a few hours. Will keep you posted.
Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back to the deal at 5pm to pick up the car. As I said they had replaced the throttle body because it threw a code (but forgot to ask which code though) & the service adviser said that they tested it and my car should be fine... Excited, got in the car, put in D & drove away. Indeed there was no surge and the throttle response was good.
Then ...... 5 mins later, two blocks away ...... the darn surge came back. It was minor at first and became very serious gradually. Another block away, stopped in the traffic light ... light turned green ...... stepping on the accelerator & no response until it went past halfway. The car finally moved and keep surging.
Another traffic light ahead ...... stopped the car. Left foot on brake (I'm always left-foot braking on automatic) & stepped on the gas pedal, the engine didn't even rev. up. It remained at around 780rpm even I pressed half way through. Light turned green ...... had to floor it to start the car.
Well, drove back to the dealer right away & got my loaner back home now :( :(

Just checked the work order and copied part of it in exact wordings for you guys,
Quoted "...... Replace throttle body and perform IAVL. On driving car again and stepping on accelerator lightly, RPM goes up 500 rpm momentarily and then back down. This may be the torque converter coming out of lockup and then going back in lockup. Please have customer monitor and let us know on Tuesday." end quoted (according to this, they were actually aware of the surge after replacing the TB)

They will not be checking my car tomorrow on Saturday since it is already fully booked. So I have to wait until Tuesday....... (Monday is holiday in Ontario and I believe it's holiday <Presidents' Day, isn't it?> in the States as well .

Hi Christine, how is your Cube doing now? Have you talked to the dealer yet? Just want to gather more information if possible.

Guys, enjoy your long weekend. I will report back as soon as I've heard from the dealer again.
Cheers

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Bummer Dude!

I have not yet had mine in, I need to but have been busy. Except for the surge the vehicle has been totally fine. Hearing your predicament I am less excited about it.

I need to get it in as my horn has not worked since the day after Christmas

·
Registered
46 Posts
So you just have the surge and don't have the problem like mine that have to floor it or press halfway to make the car moves from stop? Hope yours have a less of problem than mine.
Let us know if you have found out anything from the dealer please.
Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
You would think the dealer would of warned you about the issue and keep the car to fix it for good, WTF is wrong with dealers anyway??? how could they send someone home with a faulty car? IF it is the torque converter is bad replace it or fix it then give the car back to you. I remember reading somewhere the Versa had a problem like this about ayer or so ago, anyone remember reading about this......??? come on Nissan step up to the plate and fix this persons Cube.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hmmmm...... I think I have noticed that surge that yamamoto has... I def remember on more than one occasion, not often at all, when I would roll out into the intersection and the car would not accelerate until after a second and then my car just goes....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I am new to the forum but came here because I am experiencing exactly the same transmission surge problem with my Nissan Cube. I do have CVT and originally thought it was related to the CVT. I took it to the dealer and after them having it for 3 days they said they are going to replace the transmission. They talked back and fourth with Nissan and ultimately decided to replace the transmission. I have video of my problem showing the RPM jumping from 2000RPM to 3000RPM and will add the link when I get a chance to upload it.

My frustration with this is I bought this car (my first new car) to avoid the headaches of repairs and failing parts. I previously drove a Honda CR-V 1998 and it lasted me up until 200,000miles.

I have 15,000 on my Cube and I'm not happy. Should this be happening?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for posting. So they replaced the transmission in your Cube to fix the problem. How many kms/miles do you have in your new transmission yet? How's the car doing now?
Had been reading tons of information related to Nissan CVT for the past two days and the problem seems to related to the torque converter but no one is sure about that though.
I will wait and see what my dealer is going to say on Tuesday...
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, but have not had the repair done yet. They need to get the parts in first and seeing that it's the holiday weekend it will probably be sometime in the middle of the week. Meanwhile they sent me back with my car. I asked if I should be concerned for my safety and they said no it shouldn't cause anything major. But if it does get bad to call them. Hmph, I should've put up more of a fight but up until now this dealer/service department has shown me quality service so I wasn't quick to the gun. It is an annoying ride though when I have a 45 min. drive to and from work and 30min. of that is spent jerking foward every two seconds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same situation for me, 40-mins drive to work one way. The rev. goes up & down every minute or even more and it's so noticeable on the highway with higher speed. Do you have problem starting from dead stop on the traffic light? I have almost to floor it to start the car...
Well, at least they provided me a loaner but not something I would like to drive around :(
Can't wait to go back to the dealer on Tuesday.
Drive safe & report back if you don't mind when you hear from your dealer.
Enjoy the rest of the long weekend.
Cheers

p.s. want to add this piece of information --> the problem never occur when the car is cold. It's freezing in Ontario so it may take at least 5-10 mins before the problem shows up. I told the dealer about this and requested them to do an extended test drive rather than just driving around in their parking lot for a lap or two with cold engine...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't experience problems starting after a red light. I did get the chance to show the service manager the issue when he drove the car with me, so at least they saw the same problem. Also to note I have had a strange grinding/buzz noise when I start the engine after long rests of the car being off (I.e. starting in the morning or when leaving work). This other problem has been going on soon after I got the car and I have continually noted everytime I get an oil change. They never can hear the sound and incist its the ABS starting up. I tell them it sounds like grinding and something is getting damaged. Not sure if this has been related or not to this new problem. I think I have narrowed the grinding noise down to an A/C problem because it only happens if my A/C is on prior to starting the car (by a/c I also mean heat too.) Anyway sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So leaving work today I started the car and found I could barely leave the parking lot. Its an automatic but it fealt like the care wouldn't leave first gear. The more I pressed the gas the RPM went through the roof but wouldn't get past 20mph. I called the dealer (sales because service is closed on Sunday) and the manager was good to help me but can't get a rental on a Sunday. Lucky I have other rides and I don't have to work tomorrow. After a couple of restarts of the engine it seemed to be able to shift again. I drove to the dealer and I'm waiting to get picked up so my wife can then drive us to my surprise dinner. Reeeeeeaal romantic. Bah

21 - 40 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.