Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a trailer hitch installed by Curt at a local U-Haul. It will be used for a bike rack system by Thule. I found this is one of the best set ups for carrying bikes long or short distance.

The rack can be found here http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i-receiver-hitch-p-2096.html I bought mine direct from U-Haul since they can order almost any brand, of course they put their name on it Curt makes them for U-haul.

I will post a photo with the rack on the hitch later at least you can see how it looks on a Cube.

Highly recommend having it installed by U-Haul or someone with the right tools and a ramp. Drilling is necessary on the frame to make two holes on each side larger for spacers for the hitch. The exhaust had to be removed to fit the hitch in properly.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I am glad you like it, that's a nice compliment coming from you. :)

They just had to lower the muffler to do the install. it took the guy almost 2 hours because of the drilling and tight fit.

Happy New Year! Tropical Cube

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hitch was $129. + labor... of $27.50 to install even though it took almost 2 hours. They just charged me for a 1/2 hour. They went by their normal rates and time to normally install most hitches. A local Nissan dealer quoted me $150. for the install (labor ONLY) over the phone, shows you what a rip off some dealers can be. I went with U-Haul since they are the leaders in hitches. It is a top of the line hitch and they make them for U-Haul among other MFG.s of hitches. You can get bike racks that fit the 1.25 inch hitch for $100. and up I highly suggest you get one that fits WITHOUT a adapter and one that uses a BOLT to attach the bike rack to the hitch instead of a pin. With the use of a bolt the rack has minimal play and the bikes will be secure, will take photos of the bike rack soon and post. It's been too cold lately to go out riding down in the low 40's, I know you guys up north have it worse with the snow and all, but this is Sunny Warm? :no: Florida.

·
Registered
194 Posts
that's awesome you got the installation for that much. I am still trying to figure out a way to put my tandem bike on regular bike hitch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well Uhaul wanted $180 for I ordered one off Ebay tax and shipping was $125.75. Figured the money saved will go towards the price of the hitch bike rack I need. ($89). Tropical Cube I noticed the checkerboard look beside your license plate. Sticker? vinyl? where'd you get it? I like it ALOT!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you got one off e-bay? are you going to do the install? it took the guy at U-Haul about 2 hours due to drilling in the frame and lowering the muffler,. The checkers are vinyl got them from Harris Decal online.

thanks for the compliment...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Trailer Hitch

I know it say not to in the manual but I'v logged over 3,000 miles on one of our fleet Cubes... It is used to pull an 800 lb trailer with up to 800 lbs of cargo. It is a 6 speed manual... Just had the Cube inspected and there is no remarkable wear or damage from pulling a trailer. I don't know about the integrity of the automatic CV transmission though. If you are going to use the DrawTite brand of hitch systems you will need to drill a 1" hole in the driver side frame rail... A 1" drill bit at Ace Hardware is $40...

Check out the photo...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_0423.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I'd love to get a hitch for my Cube. But I can't see paying $120+ on it just to use it for carrying bikes. If I have to tow anything bigger I'd use my Xterra.

So I'm thinking of other options.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts