Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has four of these, two were in prep, one was in the showroom, one for test driving.

My salesperson had not yet ridden in one so seemed to be enjoying it.

My random impressions:

As comfortable a ride as any of these small cars out there, with a great suspension that ate up a lot of the harsh bumps other cars don't.

Not enough road feel compared to what I'm used to, but not as floaty as other cars I've driven (Toyotas come to mind).

Acceleration was fine and didn't feel dangerous like some cars. The CVT mostly felt nice, but I sometimes felt like I was driving a car that was accidentally knocked out of drive into a lower gear.

Visibility kicks butt. Even with the obnoxious sticker in the window I didn't feel obstructed like many other cars. It was easy to back out from its place on the sidewalk of the dealership.

Center of rear seat (where I prefer my young daughter sit to be on the safe side) is a bit of a joke, with three seatbelt latches and about a half a foot of room.

Much quieter than I thought it would be, although my test drive was just a neighborhood spin, so my speeds were rather low.

I like the trip computer, but the tach and speedo are a bit overdone. Honda really knows how to do gauges right.

The rear cargo cover is a bit cheesy, about as good as a blanket.

The car could use a few more cubbies and storage compartments, as well as a hiding place for the iPod.

It was interesting to see the car is 100% Japanese, parts and all. WOnder if this bodes well for reliability.

I've been looking at cars this size, and I am considering the Fit, a boring Civic, and the Scions XD and XB and an Insight. I like the goofy look of this thing, but worry about the Nissan nameplate. I'm driving a 2000 Altima now that has been mostly okay, but Nissan seems to have slipped in recent years. Still it would be nice to have something really different in its first year.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i bought the car because it was 100% built in japan. suspension is too soft with lots of body roll in turns, but you're right...it's a decent compromise. my honda felt more like a driver's car---albeit more jarring, my toyotas felt like my grandmother's car...so this is a decent compromise. i normally don't get auto trannies, but since my wife doesn't drive stick...it pulls decently when you stomp of the pedal. again, this isn't even "sporty", but can be made to be with lots of aftermaket help. depends on what you want. the cool factor for me overrode a lot of its "shortcomings". maybe that'll change after i've had it for a handful of years. good luck with the car search!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be soft, but considering my current Altima can cure constipation when it hits a bump, it seemed nice.

This is a difficult decision. I wish the Cube had a little more utility and tech. It certainly feels more comfortable than either the Fit or Insight (the two that I'm most seriously considering) and offers more passenger comfort, but seems low tech in comparison to both (although why Honda does not offer an upgraded audio package, a certain money maker, is beyond me.)

I want something different, which makes the Insight and the Cube very appealing to me. If I knew that the Cube was going to get a consistent 30+ for everyone with CVT, it might sway my decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just wondering what other tech you're in need of?

The cube has blue tooth hands free, ipod connectivity, rear sonar detection, push start ignition and no need for keys, as well as upgraded sterio system. Do you mean things like Video displays? I love my tech, and I just duno what more I'd need or want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe slightly different tech. A better trip computer (with service minders and MPG graphs), a dash Navi (although the Nuvi setup might actually be nicer), and USB and Ipod integration instead of iPod only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah cool, I see what you mean. I was trying to think and I did think of the navi unit. I think that would be sweet as well. I guess it's something that could be upgraded later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Their is an accessory Garmin that looks like it is somehow integrated into the dash. I don't really need a navi for the most part, but one you could take with you might actually be appealing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nuwomb said:
I was just wondering what other tech you're in need of?

The cube has blue tooth hands free, ipod connectivity, rear sonar detection, push start ignition and no need for keys, as well as upgraded sterio system. Do you mean things like Video displays? I love my tech, and I just duno what more I'd need or want.
Most of what you mentioned isn't available unless you get the SL and even then its still optional. Also Nissan should be ashamed releasing the cube "s" with a Cd player that can't play MP3's. Its 2009 , $100 Walmart stereos have more tech than that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
crutnacker said:
Maybe slightly different tech. A better trip computer (with service minders and MPG graphs), a dash Navi (although the Nuvi setup might actually be nicer), and USB and Ipod integration instead of iPod only.
The trip comuter you seem to want sounds extremely high tech (remember this is not only a compact, but also designed to be inexpensive) and the SL and Krom models do have your typical aux input for all other MP3 models.

I actually overheard a Nissan dealer talking about how the dash navigation units are just not the fad anymore. What with all of the portable GPS units now (you can get a Garmin or TomTom for $100-$200) nobody really cares about it being in the dash, especially when the dealer charged twice that. Not to mention that you can move the portable unit between you vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts