Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

Too Much Oil!

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Square1 
#1 ·
So I picked up my Cube yesterday and drive home making a few extra stops on the way. I live a few hundred miles from the dealership. It was raining when I left the dealership so I didn’t check the oil level but this morning I pull out the dipstick and wipe it off stick it back in and look at the level. Well the oil is pretty clear and I have a hard time seeing just where the level is but it looks really high, so I clean it off and stick it back in and check again. To my amazement it’s really high, it’s at the bend level on the stick, way above the H mark. :eek:

So now I have driven almost 300 miles with the oil level above the high mark. Would you drain some out?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
1HoTCuBe said:
I am not sure if you took the measurement after the car was started or cold..but if started that is typical when measuring oil..
Good point, the measurement was taken with the engine off, the cube was on a level garage floor. The engine had not run for at least 3 hours.

#4 ·
If I understand what you're saying, the reading on a cold engine is up to the bend on the dipstick right? If that's the case it's a bit too high. It should be even higher after the engine reaches operating temp and the engine is given a few minutes to settle back to the oil pan. Although it's a bit high I don't think it's high enough to worry about. Check it again after the engine is warmed up to operating temp, let the oil settle for a few minutes first. Even if it's a bit high look at the oil on the dip stick. If it's nice and clear you should be OK. If it's frothy looking it's way too high and the crank is whipping it up like a milkshake....not good.

Running a bit high on oil shouldn't hurt anything as long as it isn't being whipped, it's common practice to run a half quart or so over when driving on a long trip with sustained highy speeds since a good bit of the oil is in motion lubricating all it's goodies and really won't have time to over fill the oil pan.

But keep in mind, a little over filled is OK, way overfilled will cause problems. Again, look for signs of whipping. - Dan

#6 ·
RTM, oil is checked on a warmed up engine. If still too high, then you have cause for concern. Too high of a level will let the crankshaft spin in oil in the crankcase. This will foam or froth the oil with air bubbles which can lead to a loss of oil pressure (pumping more air than oil).

If the difference between the holes on the dipstick correspond to one quart or liter, than I think that cold reading is about 1/2 a quart/liter too high. If still too high after warmup and you want to reduce it, I'd suggest removing and emptying the filter a time or two. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and just keep an eye on it for the next tank or two.

#7 ·
Update:

So I drained the oil, not including the filter. I did this after warming the engine as recommended in the manual. Manual says without filter the capacity is 4 qt. I measured what I got out, it was 4.75 qts. I put in 4 qts, ran engine, let it sit for 10 minutes, checked oil level, it was just smidge below the H mark. Somehow they had an extra .75 qts of oil in the engine. Shame on Nissan. :(

#9 ·
coolguy said:
for what it's worth, when my cube arrives, the first thing i'll do after getting it home is change the oil and put in a new filter -> http://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...san-oem-oil-filters-long-post-lotsa-pics.html
No offense, but that is a waste. Nissan would not put defective filters on their engines.

I have run Fram oil filters on almost every car I've owned. Japanese, domestic, exotic. On a Chevy Suburban I went about 90,000 miles using them with no issue (traded that vehicle). Just change your oil and filter consistently & you'll be fine...

#10 ·
none said:
No offense, but that is a waste. Nissan would not put defective filters on their engines.

I have run Fram oil filters on almost every car I've owned. Japanese, domestic, exotic. On a Chevy Suburban I went about 90,000 miles using them with no issue (traded that vehicle). Just change your oil and filter consistently & you'll be fine...
i'd rather be safe that sorry ;) good quality filters are only a few dollars more than frams, so i'd like to do an oil change right away. it's pretty cheap since we do it ourselves

#12 ·
I've been around for 60 years most of which has been spent on cars in one form or another. I also belong to many automotive related forums.

I've heard all the horror stories as to who's filters are better then who's and all the bad hype about Fram. Fram has been around for many many years and their filters have graced uncountable engines from OEM to over the counter. In all my years I have yet to come accross conclusive evidence of an engine failure caused by using a Fram oil filter. After all, if they were as bad as some say, they would have gone belly up a long time ago.

I myself have used Fram oil filters over the years with no negative impact.

Now with that said. I'm not here to push or support the use of Fram oil filters. Do I think they're the best filter on the market. Not hardley. I say they're sufficient for most daily driver applications for most people who have regular oil and filter changes like you should.

Over the years there have been many developement's and improvements made in oil filters. There are several in my opinion superior to what Fram offers. I personally like K&N, WIX, PureOne, to name a few, and when I do my oil changes I will use one or the other, my preference is K&N. Not because I think it's the best, but because I like the big 1" nut on the end making removal so much easier than others. - Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.