Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of spraying the stock SL wheels a bronze/goldish color, something like this:

What is the popular opinion?

Am I crazy?

I have been locked indoors too much this winter...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like it...I was thinking I want to go gold or red but can't decide if I want to just paint the factories or go aftermarket.

All in all I say the look works.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Man you need to get outside more often, you have gone color blind due to the cold weather it seems.... BAD idea...... :no: sorry just my opinion is all nothing personal ....

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you are going to paint them I would recommend professional wheel painters, otherwise it will start to flake off after a few months. That usually costs at least $150 per wheel. I think finding a new set might be easier and better. I do dig the gold though! I wanted to paint my aftermarkets bronze, but I do not want to ruin an old scchool jdm tuner set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done this on my Subaru (Subaru people REALLY love gold wheels..) and it can be done very nicely without a professional paint shop but it takes time and patience.
Most people don't sand, prime and clear coat and that is why home painted wheels often look like total crap.
This is by memory, so take with a grain of salt.

Materials:
6-10 fine scuffing pads
3 cans white primer
4-5 cans of color
4 cans of automotive clearcoat
A pack of note cards

Time:
about 1 day

Beer:
about a 12 pack or 3 bottles of Chimay

Cost:
about $90 depending on type of beer.

Steps:
1. First you jack the car on stands and remove the wheels and clean them with degreaser and dry with a soft towel.
2. Scuff the wheel surface with a fine or medium grit scuffing pad to take on enough of the clear coat for the primer to take. Use note cards stuck in between the tire and the rim to mask the tires for painting.
3. Spray on a primer, (white primer helps the color 'pop') one or two light coats sand the primer lightly with a fine scuffing pad. Wipe off any dust. Wait about 45 minutes for primer to dry.
4. Paint the wheels with your gold paint. Many light coats is better then a few heavy ones. Wheel paint is best but I used walmart gold metallic spray paint with no issues.
5. Sand very lightly with fine paper to get a smooth surface. Check the wheels for an even coat and feel.
6. This is where most wheel paint jobs are screwed up. Spray on the clear coat using even light coats, use about a can per wheel so use as many coats as that provides. The clear coat is what will protect the paint from chipping or scraping off when tires are mounted etc. so don't scimp.
7. Remount wheels after everything is nice and dry
8. Look awesome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts