Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all, owner of a 2009 Nissan Cube Krom here.

So my Service Engine Soon light went on, and I had it diagnosed by a Dobb's Tire place. The code is P0463, which means I may need a fuel level sending unit. The replacement price, as quoted by the online site RepairPal, would be between $764-$1144. Ouch. The site then goes on to say this:

Can I drive with a fuel level sending unit problem?

The vehicle can be driven without the fuel gauge. Most people use the trip meter and fill up the gas tank every time they reach their preferred (sic) mileage.

So obviously I would prefer not to spend maybe $1000 on this repair. But how do I use the trip meter instead of a fuel gauge to figure out if I need gas?

BTW - the fuel gauge has acted up only twice, in as many days, way last November, when it suddenly read as if the car didn't have any gas. When I restarted the car, the gauge read fine. No problems since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can always fill your tank, and reset your trip odometer and then run it dry and make note of how far you were able to get on the tank (probably not too advisable- bad for the fuel pump) Best to just make a guesstimate on a half tank. If you know your tank takes so many gallons after a fill, reset your trip to zero, then after some driving fill up the tank again and you'll get a rough idea of how many miles/gallon your getting or ltr/100kms.
My 2009 cube has never accurately read a full tank (purchased used 4 years ago)- always has been an eighth of a tank short. I'd know that comfortably I'd get around 580kms/ tank if the odometer read more than that I'd fill up. Never did let it get beyond the last quarter.
Hope that information helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the NEW FUEL PUMP MODULE ASSEMBLY FOR 2009-2014 NISSAN CUBE 1.8L 170409EG0C from eBay. I paid $63 last year. Access the top of the tank through a cover under the back seat. Easy job. 1 to 2 hours depending on your skill level. My gas gauge works great now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you don't want to dish out money for the unit, just fill up every single time you hit about 200 Miles if you want to be super safe. I think 250 Miles should be OK, but really depends on your driving habit. At the same time, you can get the red gasoline plastic can from a gas station just in case if you get stranded. On a motorcycle, you really don't have a fuel gauge and have to calculate from the time the gas light comes up. It's almost the same thing but you are resetting the trip odometer at the time of fill up. Then drive 200 - 250 miles depending on how comfortable you are. Fill up once you reach that miles. You'll get use to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts