Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local dealer yesterday before I left work, and they have ONE in, a black Cube SL w/ Interior design package & another option which I forget. Sticker price was $17,300. Drove it for a few miles, really liked it, except the window sill seemed super high to me, but maybe I just needed to adjust my seat.

I didn't get it out on a highway, but I didn't notice the noiseyness that online reviews have mentioned. Sitting in the drivers seat though, the windshield looks enormous.

The dealer told me that there are only 10 Cubes in the entire region and they're only getting that 1 this month, and 2 next month. If that's true or he was trying to get me to buy on the spot, I can't be certain. I can tell you that the other Nissan Dealer in my area doesn't have any in. He said "they're at mercy of Nissan and only get what the send us." and that you won't be able to put in orders for specific cars until mid summer, which kind of stinks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got drive one this afternoon steel grey, 1.8 Sl ith SL prefered pkj $19,500.00 Nice supple suspension, Compared to a 2nd gen Xb this car is dead quiet! Went through some "S" turns , while there is some body sway , it cornered confidently (at the risk of scaring my salesman.) You should try going over railroad tracks -- you barely feel them! The seats are WONDERFUL soft and supportive. the insides felt bigger than anticipated.
Orders for specific cars begin in June for an August arrival. Beware the dreaded dealer markup - don't buy from those turkeys. in closing , the Rockford Fosgate sub is nice , but for you kids wanting to shake the Cul-de Sac it may be a bit wimpy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My boyfriend and I test drove a Cube today. Before I say anything else, I'd like you to know that I drive a tuned VW Corrado SLC and my boyfriend drives an '08 STI hatchback. We are used to sporty, quick cars.

The dealer only had two - a white base model with the floor mat package and a dark grey Krom. The Krom had apparently already been sold despite having just arrived at the dealership, but the base model was available for test driving - good for me because I want one (well, a 1.8S) with a manual transmission.

In person, it looked quite nice and not as small as I had imagined. The doors felt solid but lightweight (compared to the honkers on my car anyway), and the white paint looked gorgeous. It had a slightly pearly sheen, almost sparkly up close - that will be my second choice if I can't get a blue one for whatever reason. The base interior was pretty nice looking, and the seats were VERY comfortable. It felt so spacious that it was hard to believe I was in such a little car! The cargo area was also not as small as I thought it would be, although the cargo organizer would be an excellent addition to make the door frame flush with the flattened seats.

Being 5'7" tall, I felt right at home in the driver's seat. The pedals were spaced nicely and my feet and legs were comfortable, and the steering wheel was at just the right position for me (I didn't spend much time fiddling with the seats, but it was easy to move them forward/back). Visibility was fantastic, of course, but I didn't drive it enough to get a fair impression of that. I am curious about how it fares at night, because one review mentioned that light glare can be pretty significant on the windshield.

The Cube was incredibly quiet, and compared to my car the ride was smooth as could be...but that might not say -too- much because road noise in my Corrado is tremendous, plus it's not very comfortable ;o) The transmission felt wonderful to me, soft and not "grabby" at all, which makes the car very easy to drive. This is great for folks like me who just want to be at ease while driving, but people who want a more exciting ride will likely find it boring.

Despite the fact that this car is, in general, significantly slower than my and my boyfriend's cars, it was pleasantly peppy and I didn't feel nervous merging into traffic. It would certainly take some getting used to, but it didn't appear to have any trouble climbing hills or getting up to highway speed. I didn't think it was very loud even on the highway, but do take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm used to a bumpy, loud car!

The steering also felt very soft, which I was initially uncomfortable with, but I quickly found that it was actually reasonably responsive. As for the turning radius, I did a u-turn at an intersection with no difficulties. I have no complaints about the brakes - they were neither squishy nor stiff.

Overall, I was impressed. It seems ideal for what I'm looking for in a car - great visibility, comfortable and easy to drive, quiet, unique. One thing that concerns me, however, is the reliability...but at least parts and labor would be far more reasonable than for a Corrado. I'm still not completely set on purchasing one and will wait at least 2 or 3 months before making a decision; I'd first like to get a better idea of its safety specs, the Cube/Versa's reliability as well as some opinions by Cube owners.

If I could sum the Cube up in a single word, it would be...soft. Soft clutch, soft steering, soft seats, soft (curvy) interior and (rounded) exterior.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's awesome! Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to swing by my local Sheehy dealer and see if they are getting one to test drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
coolguy said:
My boyfriend and I test drove a Cube today. Before I say anything else, I'd like you to know that I drive a tuned VW Corrado SLC and my boyfriend drives an '08 STI hatchback. We are used to sporty, quick cars.

The dealer only had two - a white base model with the floor mat package and a dark grey Krom. The Krom had apparently already been sold despite having just arrived at the dealership, but the base model was available for test driving - good for me because I want one (well, a 1.8S) with a manual transmission.

In person, it looked quite nice and not as small as I had imagined. The doors felt solid but lightweight (compared to the honkers on my car anyway), and the white paint looked gorgeous. It had a slightly pearly sheen, almost sparkly up close - that will be my second choice if I can't get a blue one for whatever reason. The base interior was pretty nice looking, and the seats were VERY comfortable. It felt so spacious that it was hard to believe I was in such a little car! The cargo area was also not as small as I thought it would be, although the cargo organizer would be an excellent addition to make the door frame flush with the flattened seats.

Being 5'7" tall, I felt right at home in the driver's seat. The pedals were spaced nicely and my feet and legs were comfortable, and the steering wheel was at just the right position for me (I didn't spend much time fiddling with the seats, but it was easy to move them forward/back). Visibility was fantastic, of course, but I didn't drive it enough to get a fair impression of that. I am curious about how it fares at night, because one review mentioned that light glare can be pretty significant on the windshield.

The Cube was incredibly quiet, and compared to my car the ride was smooth as could be...but that might not say -too- much because road noise in my Corrado is tremendous, plus it's not very comfortable ;o) The transmission felt wonderful to me, soft and not "grabby" at all, which makes the car very easy to drive. This is great for folks like me who just want to be at ease while driving, but people who want a more exciting ride will likely find it boring.

Despite the fact that this car is, in general, significantly slower than my and my boyfriend's cars, it was pleasantly peppy and I didn't feel nervous merging into traffic. It would certainly take some getting used to, but it didn't appear to have any trouble climbing hills or getting up to highway speed. I didn't think it was very loud even on the highway, but do take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm used to a bumpy, loud car!

The steering also felt very soft, which I was initially uncomfortable with, but I quickly found that it was actually reasonably responsive. As for the turning radius, I did a u-turn at an intersection with no difficulties. I have no complaints about the brakes - they were neither squishy nor stiff.

Overall, I was impressed. It seems ideal for what I'm looking for in a car - great visibility, comfortable and easy to drive, quiet, unique. One thing that concerns me, however, is the reliability...but at least parts and labor would be far more reasonable than for a Corrado. I'm still not completely set on purchasing one and will wait at least 2 or 3 months before making a decision; I'd first like to get a better idea of its safety specs, the Cube/Versa's reliability as well as some opinions by Cube owners.

If I could sum the Cube up in a single word, it would be...soft. Soft clutch, soft steering, soft seats, soft (curvy) interior and (rounded) exterior.
Great first drive impressions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :yes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello Cubies! ;D I just joined and this is my first post.

I test drove an SL with the preferred package and stickered around $19.5k USD. I didn't even know this car existed before yesterday. I've been car shopping for about 2 months and have test driven a couple of Prius'es (Pri?), Civic Hybrid, Pontiac Vibe, and yesterday a Nissan Rogue. It was after testing the Rogue that I first saw the Cube......... and laffed my you know what off. "They can't be serious can they?" I asked the salesman and he replied "You should drive it". So I did.

WOW! What a surprise: from opening the door and peering inside, to the push button start (pkg), to the amazing headroom, to the styling, to the versatile back seat that moves, to the comfortable seats, to the nice instrumentation. I took it on the exact same route as the rogue for a comparison. It rode just as well but was a tad louder around the a-pillers as it was a very windy day (30+mph) and pushed both vehicles around on the head wind leg on the highway section. Both are leagues better than my trusty since new 96 toyota Rav4 I'm looking to finally retire.

I was so impressed with the test drive that I asked the salesman to drive it around the block so I could check out the back seat. He wanted to drive it more too as he's thinking about trading in his sentra! ;) So, he took the long way back along some of the same rough roads I had used. I felt more bumps this time as my hips are basically right over the rear wheels as it was set back for the most leg room but it wasn't bad just more noticeable. Also, I'm 5'10" and could still fit with the rear seat fully forward while the drivers seat was still set for my height.

Power is adequate. My Rav, although with a larger 2.0 engine, is rated about the same hp but gets less fuel economy (22ish city) so I'm used to it. When I feel "the need for speed", I go two wheels. 8)

Overall, I'm very impressed with the Cube. I had decided on the civic hybrid as it was the best fit and feel for me but it got dropped from the race when I found that the rear seats couldn't be lowered for pass through from the trunk due to battery storage. I often carry large items so hatchbacks or wagons are best for me. The Prius was #2 on my list but the price and slight small car feel were keeping it from being perfect but it was still looking like the best all around design/features for me.

Until I drove the Cube...... :yes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
cool guy, maybe get his and her license plates next time around

·
Registered
15 Posts
After reading online reviews about the handling and the road noise, I was amazed to find them almost completely inaccurate. There is hardly any noise when in idle. For a moment, I asked myself if the car was even turned on. Furthermore, even on the highway going 70mph, there is hardly any road noise. In fact, I owuld go as far to say minimal. I think the slide adjuster on the seat is louder than the car's engine. As for the handling, and this is why I say 'almost completely inaccurate' because it is a little soft in the handling. But with the 4 coil suspension, it makes it a joy to ride in. At one point, my kiddos told me they felt like they were floating. Hubby found an aftermarket suspension setup and a after market sway bar to help with the handling if it bothers anyone, but I like it the way it is!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Enjoy your new cube, meechleigh :0) I think most reviews were commenting on the road noise when on the highway, especially when it was windy. However, I did not consider it to be noisy at all (but like I said, I'm used to a noisy car), and it was whisper quiet at idle...even when turning on.

The handling was MUCH softer than I am used to, but I certainly wouldn't consider it undrivable. I might look into the aftermarket parts though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
On our poor underfunded roads here in California, a soft suspension is a good thing! HWY99 and HWY 5 can really displace your dental work! ::)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also just test drove a SL model. I am 6'4" and fit really well in the drivers seat. I thought it rode very nice also and had decent get up and go. I only wish it was a little bit longer though so have more trunk space. The cube I drove had the extra option of the drop in rear divider cubby. I really would not want that because it takes up too much space. With the cubby out the trunk space is really pretty deep and could fit quite a bit of luggage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
coolguy said:
That's great to hear, fotomoto :0) Be sure to keep us posted about what you finally decide on!
OK, I decided........

Tonight, I pulled the trigger on a red SL with the Preferred package. ;D Intro coming in the appropriate forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going to purchase a Honda Fit until I test drove one. The ride was bumpy and I sat too low in the seat. I'm only 4' 11" so seat height is very important. Plus the Fit felt cramped inside, currently I'm driving a Toyota Previa minivan so I am used to a lot of room.

I never knew the Cube existed until I saw one in the parking lot of a local mall, so I went online and read everything I could find on the Cube. The reviews were mixed and it was rated 13th in small affordable cars, the Honda Fit was ranked #1, so that didn't give me a lot of confidence. Then I read the reviews on this forum from actual people who test drove and purchased the Cube and found them mostly positive. So this morning, I went over to Nissan and test drove a Cube SL. It was a much smoother ride than the Fit, plus there was a height adjustment on the seat, it was nice seeing clearly over the steering wheel. :D To top it off, it was very spacious inside. I put a small down payment on the one I test drove. I'm going through the Cash for Clunkers program and have to wait until July 24th for when the program will be implemented before I can complete the purchase.

I can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
929 Posts
The Cube is as quiet as my friend's Lexus at idle :) However, I do notice a lot of wind noise at 50+ MPH. Perhaps it is only due to the contrast of extreme quiet at idle... anything else is perceived as noisy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts