Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just paid $60 for oil change using synthetic oil Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. According to them, my vehicle runs better on synthetic. I don't see any mention of synthetic oil in the owner's manual though. Is synthetic oil even necessary?

They said it's good for 6k miles so it's like 2 oil changes for $30.
Is this is a good price or did i get had?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
No offense but you got had.. Our cars are not required to run on synthetic oil. It'll do just fine on regular oil. Although synthetic won't hurt our cars either. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, bad on me then. At least I can go 6000 miles until the next one. :-[ I'm going to feel really stupid if you say that it's possible to use regular oil to go 6000 miles. :D

Any harm in going back to regular oil after using synthetic oil?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No problem going back if you want. Synthetic oil does not break down as fast, so you can go longer between changes if you want.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The warranty requires oil changes every 3750 miles synthetic or not.

·
Registered
839 Posts
tomcj2 said:
The warranty requires oil changes every 3750 miles synthetic or not.
Not true.

The premium maintenance schedule is every 3,750 or 3 months whichever comes first, Schedule 1 is the same, Schedule 2 is every 7,500 or 6 months whichever comes first..

If you read the note at the bottom of page 7 you will see that it states:

Premium Maintenance is a Nissan-recommended option; however, owners need not perform such maintenance in order to maintain the warranties which come with their Nissan.

These schedules are recommended.....not required.

Of course, they would like you to follow the 3,750 mile interval simply because it's money in their pockets.

The 3,750 mile interval is normally the severe service interval which most of us don't fall into.

Most folks can follow the schedule 2 recommendation and do just fine.

As far as Synthetic lubricants go, it's a proven fact that they are superior to fossil lubricants and will offer more protection. But either fossil or synthetics will do the job if you don't over extend the oil change intervals, you can stretch it a bit with either and more so with synthetics.

Even if you go beyond the recommended oil change intervals Nissan would play hell trying to void your warranty.

I change my oil and filter at 5,000 miles (or there about) intervals and perform ALL my own maintenance....period.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Synthetic oil is and always will beat dino oil hands down.
Not having the fight so this is all I'm saying about it.

I personally have ran valvoline full synthetic since 2200 miles (just when I finally had it changed out) not to mention valvoline gives a 300,000 mile engine warranty if you follow their strict oil change policy. I change my synthetic oil between 3750 and 4000 miles ( 4000 is the max allowed for valvolines warranty). Since my dealer does free oil changes for life, its all of $16 to upgrade to the good stuff. Can't beat the price imo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to sell automotive chemicals for a living, the good synthetics are either Amsoil or redline. They both test out crazy good on a bearing wear test, but extended drain intervals are fine. Amsoil rates their oils for 25k miles, redline is about half that. I change my filter at 10k and dump the oil at 20k. I have done many hundreds of thousands of miles like that and the inside of the engine is always immaculate clean. My Subaru (just sold it) had 110k on it and ran like new. One valve was 1thpu out at 80k mikes, and probably will go to 200k that way.

Every other synthetic is a bit less expensive in the raw materials they use and cannot as far. Also, the dealer cannot void your warranty unless you have a lubrication related failure and they can show excessive wear.

My buddies turbo Subaru blew (at 100 mph going up the the coastal mountains, pulling a camping trailer) with 12k on the oil. Amsoil. Dealer said it was the oils fault and to pony up for it, I said pull 2 samples of that oil and hand me one to be sent out for testing. He then said warranty would cover it... The oil will still pass viscosity and lubricity tests easily at that mileage, contamination is the only problem. They make. Nice dual bypass filter option and then they rate the oil for 100k miles. Not a typo.

I will only run synthetic oil. I have seen what pensoil changed every 3k miles does to engines, it's ugly. The seals wear out, carbon builds up in giant piles like someone dumped coal chunks in you valve covers, things wear out...

My .02, your opinion may be different and I'm ok with that. Just not in MY engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
will i use mobil 2 full synthetic and k&n oil filter from day1 i got 14000k on it and i change my every 3000k just to keep it fresh all the time bcuz i have a lot a mods on it

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Having synthetic oil ain't a bad choice especially on winters. On cold weather, the mineral oil get more thick and might not get in every parts of the engine to assume a good lubrification. While synthetic oil, it's gonna be less affected by cold weather than mineral one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes u right but i live and az so is crazy hot most of the time

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
azcube said:
yes u right but i live and az so is crazy hot most of the time
You should run a little thicker weight oil.

·
Registered
686 Posts
RIXterra said:
You should run a little thicker weight oil.

Why???
The engine will not be hotter than that allowed by the coolant, approximately 200 degrees F. The ambient temperature is always much less.

I can see running thinner oil if you live in a very cold area, and drive very short distances.

Nissan recommends only 1 viscosity of oil in their owners manual, 5W30.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes if you stock!!! but am not i run 10/40 from day 1

·
Registered
686 Posts
azcube said:
yes if you stock!!! but am not i run 10/40 from day 1
I understand that the top of the engine will not be properly lubricated if the oil is too viscous.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes i khow but i got The Cvt so am allways high rmp so the oil gets ther and and running Nos to

·
Registered
686 Posts
azcube said:
yes i khow but i got The Cvt so am allways high rmp so the oil gets ther and and running Nos to
Would you please enter your responses in English so I can understand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
will i quess you dont khow nothing about cars You khow whats NOs,CVT

·
Registered
105 Posts
if u dont understand please dont read it am here to help people not to get in a piss fight with people am a tech for nissan here and az so i khow what am talking about

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok, what i believe azcube is saying is that- he/she has a cvt trans, which means he runs at higher rpms due to the nature of the transmission, and i'm guess nos, is the "fast and furious" way of saying he/she is running nitrous oxide(which i don't fully understand on a box shaped vehicle, should of bought a aerodynamic vehicle instead in my opinion) (which isn't worth much)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts