1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol to day i changed the oil.
i cheated to by using a lift.
at my buddy's shop.
i found this in the middle of the exhaust.

how come there is 2 cats and 2 mufflers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
50 state emissions? I heard somewhere there were 2 mufflers, but I didn't realize the extent (size, etc) they were talking about. I'm suprised the cars aren't constipated :eek: If you put a header, lowflow cat and muffler on them, they's probably FLY, huh? Then they'd probably flunk emissions testing or you would void the warranty. :roll:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Talk about overkill....................needs to be seen immediately by a mufflerologist for surgical removal of that cartestinal enlargement. :eek:
A car a$$ doctor.

At this point we need to hear from a Nissan tech so he or she can fill us in on the details. Anyone out there????????? ???

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well we gotta have some cool kind of sound. Too quiet is TOO quiet!!! And when I drive around with my head hanging out the driver's window going "plbt.......plbt.........plbt.......plbt......." my tongue gets really tired. Even funny boxes need a "cool" sound.
They're just more fun to drive if they make a little (not too much) noise. :yes: :yes:

·
2,084 Posts
OK here is my tiny bit of input.

The car gets great gas mileage so the restriction is not that bad. Restriction to some extent is good, as long as it is not to much. Without restriction you will burn your valves.

Those mufflers look over sized too so this probably reduces restriction wile still serving to perform. Kinda like putting a Borla on a Cube, it would breath right thru it. I am thinking I want to rot out some glass packs and run them cherry bombs, just kidding :p

Go for a straight tail pipe off headers and run leaded gas to protect the vales from the excess heat. :p
POP,POP,POP,POP,POP :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was thinking about a cherry bomb in DA middle and a straight pipe to the back i kinda like the wang dangle sound it makes

·
Registered
839 Posts
The main reason the CUBE (as most 4 bangers) seem to have over kill in the muffler (resonator) department is because 4 bangers are much harder to quiet down than 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Not so much of them being harder to quiet down as much as it is to make them audible without sounding like a fart can.

4 bangers have a tendency to have a higher pitched raspy exhaust note anytime you increase flow. Because of this, it’s real hard to get a nice smooth low tone with out the raspines, they also have a tendency to drone at normal cruising speeds.

When aftermarket vendors try to create a decent sounding exhaust system they have lots of challenges to overcome, it’s not just a simple matter of replacing the restrictive stock mufflers with better flowing ones and replacing the crappy pipes with mandrel bent pipe.

For the past 8 years I’ve dedicated myself to modifying sport compacts and a good sounding exhaust has always been an issue. My primary focus (no pun intended) was on the Ford Focus. After many trials and errors using almost every conceivable exhaust system made and several custom set ups, we found the best system in sound quality is the APEXi system. Unfortunately they don’t make an exhaust for the CUBE. Why….I dunno. - Dan

·
Registered
715 Posts
yeah APEXi makes some bad ass exhaust.....i wish they made one for the cube :roll:
somebody will have to talk japanese and tell them that this the next future drift car :D :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
none said:
Just say no to fart cans.
Amen, that's why I'm holding out. Although I do like the look of the Stillen, I'm waiting till I can hear one in person. I would prefer a full cat back as opposed to just an axle back. But I'm not building a race car anyway, so a nice looking and good sounding axle back will do it for me. - Dan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fart can no i say no.
A Kerker’s megaphone exhaust
no wait.
a tuba horn hanging out the back.
with a titanium skid pad .
look mom sparks lol thinking out loud sorry .

·
Registered
671 Posts
Starbuck said:
50 state emissions? I heard somewhere there were 2 mufflers, but I didn't realize the extent (size, etc) they were talking about. I'm suprised the cars aren't constipated :eek: If you put a header, lowflow cat and muffler on them, they's probably FLY, huh? Then they'd probably flunk emissions testing or you would void the warranty. :roll:
FWIW -- the 2nd Gen xB also has two of each. A small front precat followed by a center large combination cat and resonator, followed by a tail resonator. From reading, the small precat is responsible for cleaning emissions while the main cat is heating to normal efficiency. The first resonator is responsible for most of the muffling, whereas the second is more a matter of tone adjustment (or removal 8)).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I still think they over-complicated the plumbing. Could use a slightly larger diameter and elimate the first muffler.
Bet that's one expensive exhaust system under there. Probably costs 3 times as much as an aftermarket setup if you had to replace it for some reason. Do you think it could pass an emissions test after modding...........as long as you still included a cat converter in the setup?

·
Registered
78 Posts
pfft... 2 is nothing... my wrx has like millions of them :yes:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i talked to the stat inspector in Texas. as long as the cats are there. running no muffler with pipe all the way to the back. will pass

·
Registered
168 Posts
And would probably sound like ass too. Seems like a normal exhaust setup for a standard production car, nothing surprising.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts