Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be installing a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT head unit soon. The directions say to connect a wire from the nav unit to the car's speed sensor box. From the service manual, I see that it's under the dash. Have any of you made this connection?

I'm wondering why the unit needs this connection, since the system has an antenna, and it should know where it it is and how fast it is going. My portable Garmins do not connect to the speed sensor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe it helps the calculations to be more accurate? i wonder if it has anything to do with the stereo's ability to use auto-volume?

·
Registered
222 Posts
jerryc41 said:
I'll be installing a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT head unit soon. The directions say to connect a wire from the nav unit to the car's speed sensor box. From the service manual, I see that it's under the dash. Have any of you made this connection?

I'm wondering why the unit needs this connection, since the system has an antenna, and it should know where it it is and how fast it is going. My portable Garmins do not connect to the speed sensor.
The unit uses this connection in case the GPS signal is lost. That way it can still calculate the ETA until the antenna can find a signal again.

·
2,084 Posts
Also think about the stereos ability to raise the volume automatically to cover road noise at higher speeds. The head unit needs to know how fast you are going to know how much to raise/lower the volume.

·
Registered
161 Posts
jerryc...

On the back of the radio, on the 20 pin connecter (big flat one with two larger pins on the end), pin 18 is the speed signal. Should be on the right side looking at the connector part (wires away from you), and should be blue.

Note: Generally a very bad idea to short this wire out, as it comes from your instrument cluster, so some caution would be good.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
671 Posts
ChristineK said:
Also think about the stereos ability to raise the volume automatically to cover road noise at higher speeds. The head unit needs to know how fast you are going to know how much to raise/lower the volume.
Yes, indeed, the real reason!

·
Registered
157 Posts
if it can play dvd movies .
it will lock the video out.
only sound will play when moving.
if it can play movies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts