Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cube SL has nice sound, but I'm sure it could be better. I'll be installing a Pioneer AVIC-P910BT head unit when I get the other stuff I want to add (XM, camera, etc). I know that price alone is not a good indicator of sound quality, so I'm wondering if any of you have added speakers that you really like. Over the years, I have installed speakers that made no difference and speakers that have made a huge difference, so I tend to go by people's recommendations. I'm definitely not into running all new wire and capacitors and 1" thick window glass. I'd just like better sound for a reasonable price.

In the spring I'll be adding lots of Dynamat Xtreme. Have any of you removed the headliner?

Pioneer makes two backup cameras, and neither one is cheap. I got a nice-looking Audiovox backup alarm, but it sounds almost all the time the car is in reverse, so what good is it? That's why I want the camera. Do any of you have any experience with either of the Pioneer cameras?

I got my rear door handles replaced last week. They have to order them for each car so the color matches. The service guy didn't know why they were being replaced.

The little carpet on the dash is there for cuteness only. The owner's manual warns about putting anything on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of the main differences is in the deck and how much power it puts out to the speakers. Our SL decks I believe have a built in amp which more powerful than the one in the S deck(not sure if it has a weaker one, or one at all).

With my old car I got a very nice deck and it already made a HUGE difference in sound quality; that is where you should start. Get a good head unit, and buy speakers that can maximize it; not the other way around.

·
Registered
170 Posts
how is the process of collecting your audio equipment coming along?

once you install your headunit, you will definitely get better sound out of your current speakers however if you choose to install upgraded speakers in your doors it really depends on what you want to spend. brands I have had good luck with are Alpine Type X components, Diamond Audio Hex components, Polk Audio's SR series of components and now I am loving on my Focal 165 VR's.

Really it boils down to what you like soundwise and what you want to spend. A great system can be had for $1000 to $100,000.

As for now I would say my favorites are my current Focal 165 VR's and they were only $400 bucks and to me outperformed my Polk Audio's SR that set me back much more than that.

Im curious to see what you decide to do

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have all my components now - the head unit, XM box, rear camera, and iPod cable. It's 14 degrees outside and about the same in the garage, so I'm not going to do anything for a while. Romoving that cold plastic would be tough in this weather - tough on the fingers, too.

I'll hold off on the speakers for a while. Maybe in the spring, when I do the Dynamat I'll replace the speakers.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I feel your pain so I opted for it all to be done for me through a great shop...mostly due to my lack of patience lol. Can't wait for the spring time so I can actually get my own hands dirty so to speak.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Xpressionz said:
One of the main differences is in the deck and how much power it puts out to the speakers. Our SL decks I believe have a built in amp which more powerful than the one in the S deck(not sure if it has a weaker one, or one at all).

With my old car I got a very nice deck and it already made a HUGE difference in sound quality; that is where you should start. Get a good head unit, and buy speakers that can maximize it; not the other way around.
You guys keep talking about power, but power has limited impact on sound quality. You can take all the power you like and dump it into cheap speakers and your sound quality will still be junky. A decent head unit with modest power is capable of excellent quality sound with decent quality speakers. First step is to decide if you care about quality or volume (the ability to entertain the people across the street). If what you're looking for is just loud (as in who cares how it sounds), then step one is a hefty HU or better yet a separate amplifier. If you care about actally having good sound, then step one is the speakers.

Question: Are you after quality or loudness?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Xpressionz said:

and if you want even better sound, pick up a 4ch amp and amp ur speakers

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hate to disagree to with TrevorS about sound quality but like anything there are always 2 sides everything, It is pretty basic, speakers will only sound as good as the source you are putting to them, basically if you take a poor quality and also underpowered signal and send it to the best speakers available, the speakers will only reproduce what they are receiving for a signal. Now if you take a good quality, moderately powered signal and send it to the speakers then they will preform better for obvious reasons. My advice would be to change the head unit to the pioneer you have mentioned, I am very familiar with pioneer units and the eq functions and options really allow you to tweak the sound to your liking, see if the difference in sound quality is enough for you, if it is not quite up to par then I would recommend changing out the speakers next. Lastly if that still does not produce the quality you want then I would put a small/medium size amplifier on the speakers which will give you the best sound and plenty of volume. So basically it is a good, better and best aspect, head unit swap is good, head unit and speakers better, head unit, speakers and amplifier is best. Hope this helps, Rick

·
Registered
671 Posts
Cubeaholic said:
It is pretty basic, speakers will only sound as good as the source you are putting to them,
Actually, the resulting sound will be limited by the weakest performer of the two, In my experience, the weakest OE link is reliably the speakers. Upgrade the speakers and you will reach your next limitation -- which could be the HU or panel damping, or both.

·
Registered
46 Posts
we will have to agree to disagree, in my 16 years of being a car audio installer I have experienced more customers who were happy with the upgrade of a quality head unit, and very few were happy with the quality of the sound, I would suggest googling or researching it more, I just found numerous posts stating how your headunit is the beginning of the system, if you take crap and put it to your speakers then it will be crap, if you start with a great signal then it will make the existing speakers sound much better, like I said, this debate has gone on forever, some see if my way, some see it yours, I will be glad to debate this in length, as long as we stay on topic and do not bash each other, I feel it is a very informative subject. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've worked with high end home audio for over twenty years, the principles are the same when talking about sound quality. One always replaces the weakest link first -- that's standard practice in any discipline. The somewhat muffled/dull sound coming from the typical OE car speakers is the fault of the speakers themselves, not the head unit. If you disagree with that, then as you say, we agree to disagree.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed!! ( to disagree that is, LOL) Home audio and Car audio are two completely separate things, I am assuming you have a decent amount of experience in Car audio as well, seeing as you have taken up this debate with me, I too have worked in High end Home audio and also professional audio, In home and professional audio you do not start at an OEM level like a factory head unit or paper cone speakers, in reality you are comparing apples to oranges, I agree in changing the weak link first, and I am very surprised you think the product that produces the end result should be the first one changed, My belief is that the product that is depended on to send a high quality audio signal should be changed first, i.e.(changing a 7 watt rms car head unit to a 30 watt rms car head unit) I wish I had a better analogy of it, but basically the final sound can only be as good as the signal that is SENDING it, speakers cannot take a signal and make it change, as far as the distortion levels and amount of power being outputted, yes they can make it sound better, but only to a small degree, not like the amount that one gains from changing out a head unit in a vehicle. I agree that good speakers are a major key in having a quality sound system, BUT, what good are $250,000 speakers if you are sending them a signal from a cheap receiver/head unit with high distortion levels and also very limited power, speakers cannot take a signal and make it change, as far as the distortion levels and amount of power being outputted. Basically in a nutshell, In Mobile audio, the best sound upgrade between changing speakers or head unit is to change the head unit, As far as home audio, changing speakers would be the best, being you are starting with a quality signal, not one that was made in china for $3. This is MY OPINION only and I respect you for debating this with me, many times I try and debate things on forums and then it turns into a bashing match,
Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nothing to further discuss, nothing to debate. (As I've already said, I upgraded my own car audio setups -- step by step approach, using my ears as the arbiter, just as with home audio). The principles of sound quality are essentially the same, you follow the weakest link. As you said -- you disagree -- end of discussion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
in my base model the stock speakers are Blaupunkts . http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BLAUPUNKTS_120646.htm
make sure when you remove the head unit
that your power has been disconnected at least 5 min's.
or it will trip the air bag light and it will blink .
annoying really it is . as far as head units go .
if it has a folding face. make sure it dose not go down.
or it will crash into the dash.
i was going to put in a alpine.
but when you open the face.
to put in a cd /dvd in it.
dash crash would happen .
the door speakers have a spacer .
i cut that spacer off the stock one.
used it on my new speaker .
my set up http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?topic=1551.0

·
Registered
194 Posts
Over the holiday,I've updated my base model stereo. Replaced 2 speaker system with 4 Kicker component systems.
Added a Sony 4channel amp(60 watt rms/ch) but kept the OEM headunit.

The sound is pretty good (not near best) /loud compare to before. I kept the HU because I don't have aftermarket alarm so don't want people to know I have anything in the car.

Regarding to the earlier discussion on this thread (about HU vs speaker), I think you guys are all on the same boat. Is just matter of your communication. In the end, if you want total quality sound, you will need to replace things from head to toe. If you are on a budget, like myself, you can replace the weakest link(s) which I have to say is both thee OEM HU and speakers. The OEM HU will not be able to drive the Kicker speakers I have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts