Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put an aftermarket shift knob on yet?
if so what size is needed?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea they do just pull off, only problem is how do i put a new one on? :p

·
Registered
657 Posts
are you guys sure you can just pull it off? someone said its a one time thing once it comes off you can never use it again? but im unsure im too scared to try on mine someone do it first and take pictures. =]

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think I mentioned this in another thread before............what about having top portion of the shifter threaded? IF that turns out to be possible...........be sure to catch the shavings so they don't get down into anthing including the carpet. What about a small, reputable machine shop. Ask around. That's what I'll be doing when the time comes for me 8)

·
Registered
263 Posts
The shift knob does indeed just pull off. The Factory Service Manual states that the knob must be discarded after removal, but I think that is CYA corporate BS. I popped mine back on after I took the console out for my stereo install, and popped it back on with no wobble.

Since we aren't threaded, we don't have any aftermarket knob options yet. I thing someone should make an adaptor. :yes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agreed................knob doesn't need to be discarded, just have to be ready in case it POSSIBLY comes off unexpectedly. There has to be a solution out there If nothing else, you could always JB-Weld the damn thing back on after proper surface preparation. Of course we will almost all (manual drivers) want replacement knobs. That's what guys do...............I had an 8-Ball on the Scion, but they made it easy because they threaded the shifter. However, Scion didn't have reverse lockout which needed to be pulled up. I don't know wether that has anything to do with the way they attached the knob or not :-\

·
Registered
715 Posts
not really there,s a lot of brands with shift knobs that come with adaptors for almost any kind you need
i think a good one is RAZO shift knob i had one not long ago and it came with adaptors of all kinds and for all cars
NRG comes with a couple only so that was an upside for NRG
i think the worse ones are momo or sparco because they only come with the most basic...you gotta have a hardware shop on your garage to make things work easy with the momo and sparco stuff

i had a momo on my g35 coupe the shift was like the cube just straight pop in and out so i had to figured a way to make the momo stay hard on place, shifting crazy on the streets can get very compromised with a wabely shift knob

·
Registered
657 Posts
soo all of you guys are saying...i can just pull it straight up really hard and it will come off? when i drive sometimes i like to just pull on it but it doesnt come off. and once it comes off its just like a hole? i just stick it back in? so when you buy a new knob like the nismo one theres a link up there somewhere. how would that stay on?

·
Registered
394 Posts
You could do some very precise drilling and a long set screw. There are ways if you're mechanically inclined or know someone who is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1 For Starbuck and Damian...Good info guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been working with a machine shop producing shift knobs and ebrake handles for the Smart car. I can see what we can put together. I know that when you do small run jobs with a machine shop you do not end up with pricing that is even similar to the China Man so let me know what price point you all can deal with and I can see if I can design and make a part to fit the bill in that range.

These 3 shifters with the push button sell for around $130 for the Smart (pictured below)

Dink

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got an idea that a machinist could probably pull off. PM me dink.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Rubik said:
The shift knob does indeed just pull off. The Factory Service Manual states that the knob must be discarded after removal, but I think that is CYA corporate BS. I popped mine back on after I took the console out for my stereo install, and popped it back on with no wobble.

Since we aren't threaded, we don't have any aftermarket knob options yet. I thing someone should make an adaptor. :yes:
FWIW -- There are aftermarket knobs available that attach with set screws -- at PepBoys for example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts