Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first I have to concede and say you CAN change the filter without removing the belly pan, I did remove the 4 pop clips to make it easier but I did not remove the pan entirely.

My Cube has 7035 miles on it and I am doing my second oil change, all went fine. You may remember the magnet trick I did at the first oil change. I have results!

I thought the heat may have effected the magnetism as I had read elsewhere, wrong!

I do not recommend doing the following as it is a complete MESS! :(

OK what you are looking at is the filter cut away and the magnet still attached

This is a small magnet about the size of a quarter

Here is the other side of the cut away. See all the metal in the circle shape?

Some metal on the cut edges is visible so I am certain it did not contaminate the test, and there was so much oil to also stop contamination. The metal housing surface is so close to the filter the cuttings would have had to pass thru the media also.

I used the magnet to collect and clean all the shavings and clean the oil away. Some of the cuttings will be in this but it will not be a significant amount.

This is an 11X11 paper towel.

A level view so you can see how thick the material is

So I welcome your comments and opinions

Please do yourself a fovor and don't do this! It is a huge mess! :no:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for following up on the magnet add-on.

Are the shavings that thick or is it fine grit just clumped together?

If the shavings are that thick, I would assume the filter would have filtered them out.

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the shavings are extremely fine. So fine in fact that it just felt like oil in your fingers. I think it is clumped together after the carb cleaner to remove the oil and the water I rinsed it in. Dry like that it felt like powdered graphite.

Being so fine I can see why it would pass thru a filter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the question is: will the fine iron powder do any real damage to the engine if left to circulate in the oil?

We use pumice to polish metal to a shine; will the iron powder polish the cylinder walls, cam shaft, bearings, etc the same way pumice would? Is that a good thing?

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to say it must be a bad thing, any impurity would over time wear the engine, the polishing you mentioned over time will polish away real material.

Now after the oil change and posting this thread I realized a grave mistake! I changed the oil in the Cube and then on to the Fit (tomorrow) so I have oil and filter for both.

I tore off the little flap from the filter carton and wrote down the appropriate information on it. I went to stick it into the glovebox when I realized the numbers were different from the last filter changed (I put the filter for the FIT on the Cube! ) :eek:

I am freaking out at this point, I grab the other filter to compare and realize the new one in my hand and the old now chopped up are both for the Cube, (the Fits is on the cube) :-\

OK What to do? Its not leaking, I hand threaded it on and it went on OK, is one different, surly they must be! Can I even drive the Cube?

I drove to Wally Word to buy another filter for comparison in the Cube to see what would happen. Took some risk!

Well here it is. The Cube is a PH6607 the Fit TG7317 (The first 2 letters are for grade of filter or manufacturer, the last 4 numbers are for your fitment)

Both are stamped with 5U on the inside. You are seeing an optical illusion on diameter.

Both are the same diameter exactly, I was most concerned about the seal size.

OK now we can see the difference. Orange is for the Cube the Grey is Fit

I also looked at the TG6607 for the Cube wile at Wally World and it was still just as short. The Fits PH7317 is still just as tall!

Sooooo Why is the Cube lacking the extra filter medium? Should I continue to use the larger filter?

Test #1 Magnet Test: Check,Passed!
Test #2 Honda Fit Filter Test: TBD

I have more to add to this later for more reasons to continue this test, IE the FIT gets 7K per oil change.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 6607 is the same one I've used on several of my Honda motorcycles over the years. Its length is the same as the Honda OEM spec but many riders have used a longer version with no problems because...... well, you know longer is better. <grin> You should be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Christine,

I changed my oil yesterday and was wondering about just undoing the pop clips, but in the end took piece off. Next time I’ll give it a try and just remove the clips. I actually split the lip of one of the center pins (it was 30 degrees out), it still works but I wonder how easy it will be to remove next time. Anyone have any idea what replacements would cost? Or is there something better than these pop clips.

For our Titans its amazing how small the oil filter is considering the engine being an 8 cylinder and it holds almost 7 quarts of oil. I would say as long as you’re not going to be making ¼ mile runs at the track with your Cube wait until next time. On the other hand for piece of mind it’s not that much effort to swap it out. I ”think” if all you do is remove the filter you will not loose that much oil and you can buy a single quart to top it off with. I hope someone else can confirm this.

Neat to see the results of your magnet test. Are you sure the filter would not have collected the fine particles? I believe the direction of flow through the filter is from the outside in. So you caught the particles on your magnet before they had a chance to be filtered out.

Edit: Are the oil viscosities the same for the Cube and Fit?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Christine is an accidental genius, finding us a compatible oil filter! Thanks!

Wouldn't the metal that was captured by the magnet normally be caught in the filter media?

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil weight on the Fit is 5W-20 the Cube is 5W-30

I imagine the filter might capture these particles, but then again in this case it did not have to, freeing the filter to last longer and maybe perform better. I am not exactly sure, but I know I will get that commercial filter magnet know knowing this information. If this can extend the life of my engine for $30.00 its worth it. :yes:

Yup been driving it all over with no problems and not even a drip. I think I am going to ditch the stock and continue to use this filter in the future. Imagine going to Spiffy Lube and saying "Yeah uh instead of the stock 6607 please use 7317" They would argue with you, me more being some dumb lady.

AGCube I agree the filter on the Titan is tiny and ill located as the thing is completely line fed, it could have been mounted anywhere except there. :mad: Maybe to try and find a bigger on for the Titan too ???

·
Registered
929 Posts
This is good evidence to change your oil after the first 1k miles & not to beat on the motor too much on break-in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
BTW, if you don't want to put the button magnet on the filter, you can always buy the magnetic drain plug for about 10$ on eBay. Nissan plugs are the same, so you'll be ok. Filters are same thread and the gasket is the same. I have an oil cooler on my 240SX SR20DET, originally made for Honda and Acura engines. It's all the same! In fact the bigger filter that Sugarcube used would allow more (although minimally so) oil to be carried in your engine safely.

[fixed a typo, or 5 :(]

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Typos, gotta love em. I am spell challenged! :yes: Smart and Dumb all at the same time :yes:

I have used magnetic drain plugs but the total effective surface area is so small. Once the area is covered the effect is reduced. The magnet I am going to use is huge, about half the total size or surface area of the oil filter.

I saw it used on a bottle of water contaminated with iron. The water was black, once the magnet was applied and the bottle shaken the water was crystal clear.

They shook the bottle violently to dislodge particles to no avail.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sounds awesome... they also make magnets that are two half circles that go around the entire filter as well.

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am speaking of a popular manufacturer but I stay away from advertisement for an obvious reason.

I have seen the one you mentioned as well. I think after my button test, anything is better that leaving it to chance on the stock solution.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i agree. in the process, you also found us a little bit of a homebrew mod.

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love home brew and the added ability to protect our vehicles. To bad it was an accident. :roll:

I am still running the Honda Fit Filter and have had Zero Issues. Skip the stock and go rogue.

I am feeling a little Sarah Palin here ???

·
Registered
263 Posts
As long as you don't give up the governorship of nissancubelife.com for no apparent reason, that's fine with me. :yes:

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rubik said:
As long as you don't give up the governorship of nissancubelife.com for no apparent reason, that's fine with me. :yes:
I so never saw this except due to another post about an oil change I just posted the link and read this. How funny!

I quit! :p

Thanks Rubik ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts