Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2010 White Pearl Cube SL yesterday and I'm loving every minute of it. I've been stockpiling parts for the last few months while I waited for my car to come in.

I don't have photos of the car just yet, but I will have some shortly. I'll take photos of the new headunit and backup camera for everyone who's wondering what it all looks like.

And so the fun begins -- I threw a few things on the Cube today:

I have more parts waiting to be installed, so stay tuned! 8)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh my! Cool! Looks like 3D distance guides in the camera, right? I was thinking of an aftermarket unit but this is too cool. Think I'll definitely stick with it. Decided on a Garmin GPS already - a built-in unit looks cool, but a separate unit has a lot of advantages such as pedestrian mode and a "find your car" feature. Saved hundreds too. Looks like I'm all set, just need to get some inventory in to choose from. Phone's not ringin'.

Congratz, major jealousy here!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Cool, I love the new unit. I wish it was available last year along with the push start and what not for the Krom. Is the back up camera really just hanging around the back door close to the emblem like that?????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chompsticks said:
Cool, I love the new unit. I wish it was available last year along with the push start and what not for the Krom. Is the back up camera really just hanging around the back door close to the emblem like that?????
The back up camera does look a little out of place because the housing for it does stick out some on the flat rear door. But even so, it doesn't bother me, especially since there really is no good place to mount it. The typical thought would be to tuck it in above the license plate, but then it would be mounted too low to be really useful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
armadillo said:
Oh my! Cool! Looks like 3D distance guides in the camera, right? I was thinking of an aftermarket unit but this is too cool. Think I'll definitely stick with it. Decided on a Garmin GPS already - a built-in unit looks cool, but a separate unit has a lot of advantages such as pedestrian mode and a "find your car" feature. Saved hundreds too. Looks like I'm all set, just need to get some inventory in to choose from. Phone's not ringin'.

Congratz, major jealousy here!
Correct, the colored lines are meant to be used to determine distance -- the reverse cam screen layout is identical to any other Nissan or Infiniti equipped with RearView Monitor. I decided to go the same route and have a TomTom for when I really need directions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1HoTCuBe: Thanks! I have wheels sitting around waiting to be mounted, but I won't have any pics until they're actually on the car. ;)

killercube said:
nice......digging the headunit......hope it reads mp3 cds unlike the POS i have.....
Good question...I'll test it when I get home from work today.

·
Registered
175 Posts
schtebie - is the screen display only, not a touch-screen? Looks like it. Also, is that the bumper at the bottom of the RearView (what a name) display? If so, that seems like wasted screen space - don't need to see the bumper except for the edge. Maybe it can be tilted up a bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
armadillo said:
schtebie - is the screen display only, not a touch-screen? Looks like it. Also, is that the bumper at the bottom of the RearView (what a name) display? If so, that seems like wasted screen space - don't need to see the bumper except for the edge. Maybe it can be tilted up a bit.
The display is screen only, it's not touchscreen. The RearView Monitor feed does show the bumper at the bottom. With the way the camera is mounted in the housing, it appears to be fixed at that angle and cannot not be adjusted.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow, I feel like an idiot now. I paid all this extra money for the upgraded stereo a few months ago, and this new one is so much better. Nice of them to let me know...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wonder if it could easily be swapped for the stock S head unit - other than the backup camera - not really wanting to drill that hole there... is the Bluetooth integrated into the head unit or is there an external mic somewhere?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gCube said:
I wonder if it could easily be swapped for the stock S head unit - other than the backup camera - not really wanting to drill that hole there... is the Bluetooth integrated into the head unit or is there an external mic somewhere?
The mic is in the headliner above the driver seat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
schtebie said:
The display is screen only, it's not touchscreen. The RearView Monitor feed does show the bumper at the bottom. With the way the camera is mounted in the housing, it appears to be fixed at that angle and cannot not be adjusted.
Oh, I dunno, a pair of Vise-Grips and a cold chisel could probably adjust it. :)

I asked cuz a dotted-line diagram (not photo) of the JDM unit showed a very narrow field of view downward, unlike my friend's Lexus SUV which looks more backwards so you could see traffic. But yours shows the garage door up to about the level of the cam, so I guess you can see backwards fairly well, right? If so, that's fine. I was just concerned about not being able to see but just a few feet behind the car. The Cube's seems better for parking and not running over your neighbor's kid.

Open the door and you could see to the left!

·
Registered
690 Posts
very nice! i wish there was a better way to mount the camera, totally looks like an afterthought. can't wait to see the external mods! keep it up, mang!

+1 on the Rays. you're so money!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
elDizzle_foShizzle said:
very nice! i wish there was a better way to mount the camera, totally looks like an afterthought. can't wait to see the external mods! keep it up, mang!
Thanks! I'm a big fan of your car...it looks awesome even on the stockers!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts