Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To continue a discussion from the other thread:

insanely^3 said:
Oh and if I can ask you all one more thing about legit rims. Whats the legit and whats the knock off here: spoon sw88 or regamaster evo? :)
regamaster makes the wheels and its also branded as spoon from what i can tell...it would be like rays having a similar wheel branded as rays and as volk with different color options on each

·
Registered
100 Posts
Contrary to belief, I'm not disrespectful or offended by replicas discussion. Since I'm the only one who can not voice an opinion about fake wheels. Cubin middle said he doesn't see why people buy, I agreed 100% an get crap from damien666robin about competeing in a show. Nice!! Totally "off topic". Aparently my sentence rubs people the wrong way so I will say this again. As my signature says and as my personal philosphy.

Don't buy fakes, get the originals!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Eh I don't get into the whole fake vs. real discussions. Their are bigger things to worry about. If I can get a quality wheel that looks good and fits my requirements I'm going to buy it, no matter who makes it. If it is a show car, sure spend the money. If you have loads of cash and want to be able to jerk off to your wheels, sure buy the expensive ones. If you are like me and on a budget, and don't give a fuck what other people think, buy knock offs and keep not giving a f.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My thoughts. As long as the owner is happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

I hate camber being way out and don't get the point, some of you love it.
I hate wings or fart can mufflers and others like it.

I hate it means I won't install it on my car. You like it, by all means enjoy.

I'm buying wheels and tires from tirerack soon. Motegi wheels to be exact. Fakes? Real I don't care. I like them and they fit what I want.

Enjoy your ride as that's the point and all that matters.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my problem is that the replicas indirectly make the real ones more expensive and put stress on the "real" companies, because if someone can buy varrsteons or rotas for way cheaper than volks, rays (who makes volk) has to charge more for their wheels, which are forged in a state of the art foundry and factory and the product of tons of R&D dollars and hours...the "fakes" are cheaply cast and weigh more and aren't as strong...also, they're leaching off of the R&D costs of the "real" companies...it just seems dishonorable to me...i like to reward the companies that create their own designs and use the best methods possible to make my wheel...just me...i realize the cube isn't a sports car where you need high end wheels, but there are affordable options out there from great wheel companies that do their own R&D

·
Registered
212 Posts
So you only buy name brand prescriptions?

Just pointing out the fact that is the same concept.

Heck amps, radios, purses all of it are the same situation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jered said:
So you only buy name brand prescriptions?

Just pointing out the fact that is the same concept.

Heck amps, radios, purses all of it are the same situation.
i've never needed a prescription, but i get what you're saying...never bought a "fake" part for any car i've owned...when it comes to things that could be involved in my safety, i don't skimp...i don't agree with any of knockoff product out there really and haven't bought anything fake that i know of...if i want to buy my wife a coach purse, i'll save and buy it, not get a fake one...i just wait til i can afford the real thing

·
Registered
472 Posts
CubinMissile said:

insanely^3 said:
Oh and if I can ask you all one more thing about legit rims. Whats the legit and whats the knock off here: spoon sw88 or regamaster evo? :)
regamaster makes the wheels and its also branded as spoon from what i can tell...it would be like rays having a similar wheel branded as rays and as volk with different color options on each
Ok not gonna lie, this was a trick question, and for the most part your right. Desmonds is the company that manufactures both the evos and the s-dubs.

Oh and is a knock off still a knock off id its offered in different sized, offsets, and lug patterns and colors?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
insanely^3 said:
CubinMissile said:

insanely^3 said:
Ok not gonna lie, this was a trick question, and for the most part your right. Desmonds is the company that manufactures both the evos and the s-dubs.

Oh and is a knock off still a knock off id its offered in different sized, offsets, and lug patterns and colors?
i'd say my definition of a knockoff is anything that doesn't do its own R&D work...rota is probably the biggest offender out there imo

·
Registered
168 Posts
So rota just steals a wheel and starts producing copies of it. No testing no R&D?

There are no real original design for wheels anymore. Who are the knock offs and who are the originals anymore? There are plenty of rota wheels on cars that race with no problems, there are work wheels or volks that have broke. Knock offs don't raise the price of "real" companies wheels. "real" companies created replicas by charging so much.

There is a difference between buying (as you put it) replica/real wheels and real/knock off ebay BOV made in china. For the standard person just driving their car a wheel is a wheel is a wheel is a wheel. The person that races or is worried about every once of weight they can save is going to be worried about it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CubinMissile said:
freekwonder said:
So rota just steals a wheel and starts producing copies of it. No testing no R&D?
bingo...very limited work is done to get them produced
You have anything to back up your claims? I've seen this post before from an STI forum
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2722890-post28.html

There are to many people who hate rotas, just to hate them. Like it's the cool thing to do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Was talking to my local tire and wheel place and he said basically the same thing. Nothing wrong with reproduction rims and specifically the rota wheels.

I agree with him most damaged wheels are because of abuse, hitting curbs or large pot holes etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
freekwonder said:
CubinMissile said:
freekwonder said:
You have anything to back up your claims? I've seen this post before from an STI forum

There are to many people who hate rotas, just to hate them. Like it's the cool thing to do.
I know it seems like a lot, but rays, work, yokohama, etc do way more I'm sure...of course rota needs to test wheels to make sure they meet the standards and regulations of the law...my main problem is the blatant theft of designs...most people get wheels because of how they look, and rota shamelessly steals the design of nearly every volk wheel...I just can't respect them as a company...

·
Registered
168 Posts
CubinMissile said:
freekwonder said:
CubinMissile said:
freekwonder said:

I know it seems like a lot, but rays, work, yokohama, etc do way more I'm sure...of course rota needs to test wheels to make sure they meet the standards and regulations of the law...my main problem is the blatant theft of designs...most people get wheels because of how they look, and rota shamelessly steals the design of nearly every volk wheel...I just can't respect them as a company...
Every wheel company has borrowed/stolen/copied a design or a concept from another company. I understand where you are coming from. If I had the cash I guarantee I would have some Volk or Work wheels on my cube and my datsun (actually I'm saving for some works for my cube)but a LOT of people in the world don't have that option.

·
Registered
472 Posts
CubinMissile said:
insanely^3 said:
CubinMissile said:

insanely^3 said:

i'd say my definition of a knockoff is anything that doesn't do its own R&D work...rota is probably the biggest offender out there imo
But how do you know these companies dont do r&d? like previously stated, all companies to some degree have to test their products, not anyone off the street can throw sum liquid metal into a cast and call them rims and sell them on the market.

I personally stand nuetral in this debate, and i feel that no matter what is said here opinions will not alter.

Elitists will forever be elitists and people who wanna look good and save some money while doing will still do what they do best

·
Registered
302 Posts
i buy "fake" wheels to replace the steel stockers 'cause there cheap and look a lot better while rolling around slammed waiting for wheels to come from japan which i should've ordered next day air ;)

this debate is so old :( the end result is people buy what they like and purchase likewise due to beliefs

i bought my xxrs to iron out the fitment do some leg work to get us some camber plates just to find out that the fitment isnt as ideal as i would like, but i now know what the best width and offsets are without speding 3+k on wheels just to sell them for half the price and turn around and drop another 3k on the right offsets

my 2 cents

i personally will appreciate any well built, good looking car weather it has fake parts or a true jdm emblem where it has a 45* beveled edge and only a purist will ever know....and i prefer my rice steamed not fried

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't understand what purses have to do with wheels. People who use fake purses pretend they are the original/real thing.

Most car and wheel knowledgeable drivers know they aren't the original, so they don't pretend they are. I've yet to personally see drivers who pretend they are using the original/real wheel (although I've heard of some people putting Volk/Rays decals on Rota Grids :no:.)

I understand the R&D issue, but if this should be followed,
CubinMissile said:
then we're all knockoffs of him and no one should use any of 501's camber or fitment research/testing because it's his and he spent money to find stuff out that we would save because now we know what to not do. People benefit from other people, simple as that. The original companies still make money because they do it first, and because of loyalists who would buy their goods regardless of other options available. The knockoff companies do their own work, admittedly less, and make their own profits, which could be more or less. In the end though, if the big companies haven't done anything, then it may not bother them.

After all that, I'd like to say that I would totally rock some Rota's or XXR's as much as I would want to some Works, SSR's, Rays, Advans, BBS's, etc. Everyone should just buy what they want, like what they got, and not care if someone hates or dislikes their ride.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts