Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say I have been looking for a new car for over two years now. I have a Nissan Altima I got for a song in 2001. It's been an okay car but some annoying breakages (including having my brakes completely fail while driving) had me saying "no more Nissan". We're a Honda family, so I've been looking hard at the Fit and the new Insight, as well as another boring Civic (I loved both models I owned, but have always wanted something that is a bit more stylish/dorky) and have also thought about Scions. The new XB is nice inside, but poor mileage and exterior styling don't excite me like the previous generation.

I figured I'd be in an Insight or Fit. But after looking at the Cube, I'm drawn to it. So I have some questions for those who have one:

1. What did you consider before the Cube?
2. Why did you purchase the Cube?
3. Is the cargo space behind the seats enough for a grocery run and the rest of our needs (this is my biggest concern right now)
4. Is the lack of a flat loading floor an issue?
5. What kind of MPG are you getting and with what type of driving (are you a hypermiler, a speed demon, etc.) I drive speed limit or a bit above out of habit (my car tends to feel like it is coming apart at 65+).
6. Does Nissan's mixed reliability record bother you?
7. If you have the upgraded stereo, how does it compare to others you've heard in the same class?
8. What do others think of your purchase?
9. What do you like most?
10. What do you like least?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I previously owned an 06 Scion Xb, which I absolutely loved. I bought a pearl white SL w/ prefered package.

1. What did you consider before the Cube? 09 Scion Xb (not in love with new styling, poor MPG), KIA Soul (It's a KIA), Honda Fit (TOO BORING!)

2. Why did you purchase the Cube? The cube has similarstyling and MPG to my 06 Xb, but it has better features (stereo, bluetooth, backup sensors etc.) and alot better safety features (6 airbags) because my 5 yr old daughter rides with me alot.

3. Is the cargo space behind the seats enough for a grocery run and the rest of our needs (this is my biggest concern right now) The deep well behind the back seat is very nice, much bigger than my Xb and I never had an issue with it.

4. Is the lack of a flat loading floor an issue? It has not been an issue yet, but I could forsee this as a minor issue in the future, but you could buy the cargo box that would make the floor flat.

5. What kind of MPG are you getting and with what type of driving (are you a hypermiler, a speed demon, etc.) I drive speed limit or a bit above out of habit (my car tends to feel like it is coming apart at 65+). I have 2500 miles on my cube and I have consistently gotten the advertised 28-30 MPG sometimes a little better, I am averaging 31 on the current tank. The trip computer that show avg MPG really makes me pay attention to how I am driving and my MPGs are steadily improving.

6. Does Nissan's mixed reliability record bother you? I have owned 2 nissan pickups in the past and never had the slightest issue, so I am not concerned.

7. If you have the upgraded stereo, how does it compare to others you've heard in the same class? The upgraded stereo is nice, better balanced than the bazooka tube in my Xb and the sub is in the door and not in the cargo area like my Xb.

8. What do others think of your purchase? Everybody seems to like it, if not they at least acknowledge it is different and like the space it has for a small car.

9. What do you like most? Love the bluetooth phone and IPOD connectivity

10. What do you like least? I don't think my golf clubs will fit across the cargo area, they would in my Xb, I think the Cube is narrower. Also my daughter does not really fit in the center of the backseat, but w/ the curtain airbags I am not as worried. The doors also seem alot thicker which is a good thing.

Overall, I really like it. I really wanted a nicer version of my Xb, which I feel like I got, I was really disappointed with the changes they made to the current Xb.

·
193 Posts

I was looking at the Kia Soul, Smart Car, Scion xB, & Suzuki SX4

I liked the look of it, that's what drew me to it. Then I saw the Moss Green color and knew it was the color for me. Yeah I like odd color cars that most people don't like! :)

3. Is the cargo space behind the seats enough for a grocery run and the rest of our needs (this is my biggest concern right now)

I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I've made runs to the grocery store and Menard's and had plenty of room for what I needed.

I have the cargo box in my Cube, so I do have a flat floor in mine.

5. What kind of MPG are you getting and with what type of driving (are you a hypermiler, a speed demon, etc.) I drive speed limit or a bit above out of habit (my car tends to feel like it is coming apart at 65+).

I've done mostly city driving and got about 27mpg on my first tank.

I never had a Nissan before, and I never researched the reliability of their vehicles, so I can't comment.

7. If you have the upgraded stereo, how does it compare to others you've heard in the same class?

My best friend bought a Kia Soul and has a similar stereo and I like the Soul's upgraded stereo better, only because the display shows more details than the Cube's. The Cube's show all details, but you have to manually change the display setting to see all of the detail. I like the Fosgate speakers, they are really nice!

Extremely happy with it!

I like all of the tech stuff that came with mine, bluetooth, keyless start, backup sensors, movable/reclinable back seat, and styling of the Cube itself.

Jury is still out on this one, I really like the Cube, if something bugs me about it, I will post up on it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I purchased a black Cube Sl last week. Here are my answers:

I figured I'd be in an Insight or Fit. But after looking at the Cube, I'm drawn to it. So I have some questions for those who have one:

1. What did you consider before the Cube? (nothing just traded in my xTerra and got a great deal)
2. Why did you purchase the Cube? (I thought it looked like a slightly melted London cab, I've grown to like it)
3. Is the cargo space behind the seats enough for a grocery run and the rest of our needs ( I have no problem here, I've ordered the cargo insert.)
4. Is the lack of a flat loading floor an issue? (see above)
5. What kind of MPG are you getting and with what type of driving (are you a hypermiler, a speed demon, etc.) I drive speed limit or a bit above out of habit (I changed to synthetic oil the next day and I am right at 28+ average on two tanks).
6. Does Nissan's mixed reliability record bother you? (No, never have had a problem with three Nissan's)
7. If you have the upgraded stereo, how does it compare to others you've heard in the same class? (Great and the iPod connection is off the hook).
8. What do others think of your purchase? (When I part around town people actually take pictures of it with their cell phones).
9. What do you like most? (It has a bunch of features inside/roomy/fun to drive/VCT transmission)
10. What do you like least? (power steering is so refined does not have that tire to road contact feel)

Patrick

·
Registered
17 Posts
my wife and i were looking at a quest minivan, cr-v, and a honda fit. we were going to go big car but I needed a car that could get better mileage. while looking at the quest i noticed the krom cube. took it for a test drive and bought it. guess it was a impulse buy. i love it!!

·
Registered
50 Posts

I considered every car under 25K, my GF on the other hand had eyes only for the Cube.

see above, I like to stay a happy boyfriend.

Plenty, I can get enough food for 3 adults and 3 puppies.

No, I have the tool box then to level out the back dip if I wanted to use it but I dont.

Got a lead foot on the hwy and I am getting 26.4mpg

Better then Ford, am I right :D

I put in a new stereo, the base one kinda sucked.

In person I get noting but ohhs and ahhs, online people can be assholes and say it is ugly.

The interior, looks like you are under water.

where the hell is the other arm rest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts