Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it say not to in the manual but I'v logged over 3,000 miles on one of our fleet Cubes... It is used to pull an 800 lb trailer with up to 800 lbs of cargo. It is a 6 speed manual... Just had the Cube inspected and there is no remarkable wear or damage from pulling a trailer. I don't know about the integrity of the automatic CV transmission though. If you are going to use the DrawTite brand of hitch systems you will need to drill a 1" hole in the driver side frame rail... A 1" drill bit at Ace Hardware is $40...

Check out the photo...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_0423.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a company vehicle so I just drive the hell out of it. I just returned from my route (215 miles round trip) with the trailer and load combined weight of 1800 lbs. on the first leg and an empty trailer on the return leg. Most of the trip was 70 MPH highway speeds and the Cube did not seem to labor much at all. Although I was concerned about the cross winds the Cube performed well and the ride was smooth. javascript:void(0);
I will continue to post with any notable updates... Just a side note, this Cube is a replacement for a Jeep Cherokee that I drove for 8 years pulling the same size trailer. The Cube seems to handle the task with less effort.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Although the Cube manual (and other's) recommend not pulling a trailer, I'm sure it's because of the CVT tranny. I would absolutely not pull with a CVT. All vehicles I've seen so far that has a CVT as an option, recommend's not to pull a trailer. I think it's purely a CYA for the manufactures and they blanket all the cars with the CVT as an option, cause if they don't and put lets say a 1k towing capacity for the manuals. Those with a CVT will think why not me too, it's the same car.

But the Cube with a manual shouldn't be any different than any other similar sub-compact sized car. Most have a towing capacity of around 1k. - Dano

·
Registered
839 Posts
bunting1 said:
I have never been a fan of towing with a fwd vehicle.
Neither am I, but lots of people do it. - Dano

·
Registered
116 Posts
never knew before cubes are used by some as trailers too ???

·
Registered
142 Posts
hahahha you can probably find a front-damaged cube that's totalled and then cut off all bits in front of the A pillar, hook up a trailer nose and just tow that around.... LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think, it would be better if you will see the trailer's manual. As far as I know, the engine and transmission of a cube is not made for towing anything. It may affect the way it normally functions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tow dj equipment almost every weekend in a 4 x 8 trailer. The weight of the trailer is around 600 pounds, and the weight of the gear is around another 6-750. I make sure the rpms never really go past 3500, but it does suck gas like no other. But I just add the additional cost of gasoline to the bill for a wedding or sweet 16/private party.

I had everything checked out by the dealer and they do not see or feel any premature wear on the car as well so far. 25000 miles too for a year and a half

1 - 16 of 16 Posts