Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know what numbers you get from the trip computer after filled up tank.
I usually see number anywhere between 340-385 miles. but last night, After my salesman filled up my tank after he took my car out. It was set at 427 miles. Is this even possible?

so, My question here is, What numbers do you get?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't pay attention to this data - I've never been concerned with "miles per tank" in any car I've driven.

Shouldn't you be at the dealer, figuring out where your whine is coming from?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine usually reads about 380 or so after a fill up. - Dan

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've never really kept track. I wonder if the calculated number is based on the average mpg since the last fill up?

·
Registered
277 Posts
i think the gauge is stupid, when i get down to 2 bars of gas, it shows roughly 60 more miles to go and then eventually starts flashing blank lines. when i fill up, turns out i have a lot more gas than 60 miles worth. what good is a distance to empty if it wont go down to 1 or zero miles

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EzeE1o said:
i think the gauge is stupid, when i get down to 2 bars of gas, it shows roughly 60 more miles to go and then eventually starts flashing blank lines. when i fill up, turns out i have a lot more gas than 60 miles worth. what good is a distance to empty if it wont go down to 1 or zero miles
I also noticed that too and thought it wasn't too intelligent.

·
Registered
930 Posts
BentoBox said:
Chompsticks said:
mine is somewhere between 320 and 340
hm. this is really weird. I wonder what kinda gas they put on to get 427 miles.
It depends on what your gas milelage says. If you have a higher avg mpg reading it there will be a higher DTE reading. Also depends on how much you top off your tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
EzeE1o said:
Yep, I understand your frustration about the display’s accuracy. Like you, the first time I ran my tank fairly low the display started to flash and I thought, oh man I better get gas right now, filled it up only to find out I had almost 2 gallons remaining, that is if I really filled it up to where it holds exactly 13.25 gallons.

It must be really difficult to predict how many more miles you can drive with all the variables that can go into that calculation. I guess it is really only a prediction, like the weather forecast where I live anymore than a day ahead the prediction will change twice; I don’t envy their job. At least it seems to estimate on the conservative side so you normally end up with more remaining than you thought.

·
Registered
472 Posts
EzeE1o said:
i drove my car till there were NO bars left and i filled up with 11.87 gal
i believe it has a 12 gal tank?

·
Registered
472 Posts
wheni go to fill up the pump will stop, then let me fill it another gallon or two, u get that too?

·
Registered
156 Posts
insanely^3 said:
wheni go to fill up the pump will stop, then let me fill it another gallon or two, u get that too?
I never ever top off my tank. I keep real good records of my gas mileage. You simply cannot get consistent gas mileage readings if you top off your tank to a different level every time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
ewraven said:
insanely^3 said:
I never ever top off my tank. I keep real good records of my gas mileage. You simply cannot get consistent gas mileage readings if you top off your tank to a different level every time.
if i dont "top it off" the top bar wont light up
its more than just a top off like i said sometimes another 2 gallons or so

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is weird. The nozzle stops filling when the liquid rises to the end of it.

Read the following...

How does the automatic cutoff valve on a gasoline pump work? How is it able to shut off the gas before the nozzle has become immersed in the liquid? I don't see how the pump could be so sensitive to back pressure in the gasoline. — NG, Bloomsburg, PA ShareThis

As you suspect, the pump isn't able to detect the change in gasoline pressure that occurs when the fill level reaches the nozzle. Instead, the nozzle uses several hidden components to shut itself off when the tank is full. There is a small hole near the end of the nozzle that becomes blocked by the liquid gasoline as soon as the fill level reaches that hole. Blocking this hole with gasoline is what shuts off the valve. There is actually a thin tube inside the main gasoline delivery hose that operates this valve system. That tube runs from the hole in the nozzle to a vacuum pump inside the gasoline-pumping unit. While the pump is dispensing gasoline into a partially filled tank, air flows easily into the nozzle's hole and the pressure inside the thin tube remains close to atmospheric pressure. But when the level of gasoline rises high enough, it essentially blocks the hole and the pressure inside the thin tube drops. This pressure drop is what triggers the valve and stops the gasoline flow. Look for the hole near the end of the metal nozzle next time you fill your car with gasoline. In most cases, it's easy to see.

Also, for proof of this, just fill up a gas can sometime. The pump stops when the gas level rises to the end of the nozzle, it is very simple how it works.

I have been to one pump before that stopped before the tank was full and I had no choice but to top it off. But that pump was malfunctioning and is repaired now. Do you fillup at the same pump a lot?

·
Registered
582 Posts
It varies and has to do with temp and how fast you fill your tank. Always fill your tank slowly as at high from the pump gas is vaporizing out the vent and you actually end up with less gas in the tank then you pay for. I topped off my tank the other day and it read 283 miles. Later in the day it read 316. So, it is also related to your mph. I don't usually look at it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
ewraven said:
That is weird. The nozzle stops filling when the liquid rises to the end of it.

Read the following...

How does the automatic cutoff valve on a gasoline pump work? How is it able to shut off the gas before the nozzle has become immersed in the liquid? I don't see how the pump could be so sensitive to back pressure in the gasoline. — NG, Bloomsburg, PA ShareThis

As you suspect, the pump isn't able to detect the change in gasoline pressure that occurs when the fill level reaches the nozzle. Instead, the nozzle uses several hidden components to shut itself off when the tank is full. There is a small hole near the end of the nozzle that becomes blocked by the liquid gasoline as soon as the fill level reaches that hole. Blocking this hole with gasoline is what shuts off the valve. There is actually a thin tube inside the main gasoline delivery hose that operates this valve system. That tube runs from the hole in the nozzle to a vacuum pump inside the gasoline-pumping unit. While the pump is dispensing gasoline into a partially filled tank, air flows easily into the nozzle's hole and the pressure inside the thin tube remains close to atmospheric pressure. But when the level of gasoline rises high enough, it essentially blocks the hole and the pressure inside the thin tube drops. This pressure drop is what triggers the valve and stops the gasoline flow. Look for the hole near the end of the metal nozzle next time you fill your car with gasoline. In most cases, it's easy to see.

Also, for proof of this, just fill up a gas can sometime. The pump stops when the gas level rises to the end of the nozzle, it is very simple how it works.

I have been to one pump before that stopped before the tank was full and I had no choice but to top it off. But that pump was malfunctioning and is repaired now. Do you fillup at the same pump a lot?
i figured they worked somethimg like that, its not the same pump everytime, but it is normally the same gas station cuz its right next to my work

1 - 20 of 38 Posts