Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I e-mailed my dealer this morning and sent them the link to the recall information, it will be interesting to see how they handle this situation. Again I fee this should apply to ALL Cubes out there on the road. :yes:

Le me know what YOU are going to do about this, let it go if your not in a COLD state or get it fixed by your dealer at NO charge.

·
2,084 Posts
It is only the 21 states! How can they do this?

Like I said in the other thread, I am reporting a move to those 21 states.

Thanks for the link Tropical

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spoke with Nissan Canada in the last hour. No recall as of yet for Canadian Cubes. Sent the link to my dealer, requesting a response via e-mail. We will see what they have to say.
According to Nissan Canada Customer Service, production standards are different between the US and Canadian markets. I find this possible, given that the recall affects so called "cold weather" States only. I will wait and see what my dealership has to say, if anything. I have printed a copy of the recall notice, and will tuck it away with my paperwork. God forbid anything should happen but, if it does, I have a very good lawyer.

I do agree that all US vehicles should be taken care of, though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just told by my dealer NOT all tire sensor nuts are bad, Nissan used inferior nuts on some of the Cubes made in Japan. Your dealer can check to see if your tire sensor nuts are the inferior ones used by checking your VIN number, my tire sensor nuts are the good ones after all. I can only suggest to each of you to call your dealer and have them check your VIN number to see if there are any recalls with your vehicle. the only problem with mine is the door handle on the back right side is bad (it is a defective handle that breaks easily) according to my dealer checking the VIN number against any recalls. WOW I'm impressed with my dealer once again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Checked with my dealer today. Said they needed to replace all nuts on sensor and both rear door handles. Not sure how you change the outside door handles without taking off both door panels to get to them. Sounds like a mess to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just checked with my dealer as well and sure enough - TPMS nuts are under recall, door handles and the sticker for the book. Scheduled for Sat the 21st and all will be happy... Work week is jammed next week and they had to order the handle(s)... but still good service from the dealer (didn't even need my VIN, just my name) - oh and the servie writer isn't too shabby either...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Montana, Wyoming, and (Eastern) Washington and Oregon aren't cold weather States??? I guess -58F isn't cold enough for them!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Today while confirming appointment for having the rear door handles changed, dealer informed me that Nissan Canada has now changed its mind and will be replacing the TPMS bolts. This after they said it was not going to be necessary. Mine was part of the first shipment to Canada so it could be they are basing the recall by VIN numbers, later deliveries may be free of the defective bolts. These wheels (with the TPMS) are soon coming off and being replaced by steelies with snows before the snow starts to fly. The replacement bolts will stay nice and salt free in the garage.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing to think about when you replace your wheels for winter use without the TPMS your warning light will stay on all the time, someone even mentioned something about a buzzer staying on, not sure if the Cube has the buzzer too. When I changed my wheels to after market wheels I had them put the sensors on the new wheels to avoid any warning lights or buzzers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When my TPMS light came on (for actually low pressure) - no buzzer... Now, not to say that if the light isn't on for an extended period of time it may not begin to prod you with the buzz - mine was only for a short ride home at which time I topped off...

·
2,084 Posts
The Cube does not have a buzzer, the Nissan Titan does and it is annoying, I even went so far as to find its fuse and disable it. No luck.

The buzzer continues until you inflate the tire, on cold mornings it can be a bummer too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My baby is getting done on the 28th. Snesor nuts, and handles. Anybody know how the handles are getting done, what the problem is? Mine seem fine, but I'll take a free fix . . .

·
Registered
119 Posts
ChristineK said:
The Cube does not have a buzzer, the Nissan Titan does and it is annoying, I even went so far as to find its fuse and disable it. No luck.

The buzzer continues until you inflate the tire, on cold mornings it can be a bummer too.
My 2006 Titan does not have a buzzer. Each winter I routinely switch to tires with deeper tread on rims without TPMS, my light comes on and stays on for 4 months before I switch back to my summer tires on rims with the TPMS. I guess I'm surprised if Nissan placed a buzzer in some Titans that they didn't put one in the Cube, but I'm really glad they didn't. That would really be annoying. At some point in the future I plan on getting winter tires on dedicated rims for my Cube and I doubt I'll spend the extra money to put TPMS in their rims. I’m pretty anal about checking my tire pressure.

·
Registered
671 Posts
gardener said:
These wheels (with the TPMS) are soon coming off and being replaced by steelies with snows before the snow starts to fly. The replacement bolts will stay nice and salt free in the garage.
That was my approach as well, I moved the TPMS sensors to my summer rims and left the factory steels and snow tires with standard valve stems. So for a couple or so months of the year my TPMS alert may come on, but I think I can handle the stress :)!

·
Registered
29 Posts
TropicalCube said:
One thing to think about when you replace your wheels for winter use without the TPMS your warning light will stay on all the time, someone even mentioned something about a buzzer staying on, not sure if the Cube has the buzzer too. When I changed my wheels to after market wheels I had them put the sensors on the new wheels to avoid any warning lights or buzzers.
I just went through this yesterday (Dec 2nd). Beyond the desire to keep the good wheels out of the salt, I got new winter wheels to avoid the cost and hassle of removing tires and rebalancing wheels and possibly damaging something twice a year. So I didn't move the sensors.

My dealer tells me the sensors are about $100 each and the car is programmed to match the sensors so you would have to spend $400 and reprogram the car twice a year if you had sensors on both sets of wheels. Thankfully there is no buzzer on the cube! I asked if there was any way to disable the light. Yes there is. Apply a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

Someone needs to come up with a reasonable solution for this problem for some future version of the tire pressure monitoring system.

·
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
zinker said:
My dealer tells me the sensors are about $100 each and the car is programmed to match the sensors so you would have to spend $400 and reprogram the car twice a year if you had sensors on both sets of wheels. Thankfully there is no buzzer on the cube! I asked if there was any way to disable the light. Yes there is. Apply a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

Someone needs to come up with a reasonable solution for this problem for some future version of the tire pressure monitoring system.
Guess I don't get the concern over having the light turn on during the winter months -- it could even be seen as a benefit since it'll help prompt the owner to return to summer tires as early as possible ;D. (Thereby saving the snows from unnecessary wear and tear.) Also, the more sensors you buy, the more sensor batteries you'll have to pay to be replaced when the old ones eventually go. One set per car is enough as far as I'm concerned :(!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts