Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just traded in my '08 Camry for a '10 Cube, steel grey 1.8S. I've never replaced factory wheels before so I'm hoping to get some guidance here on going from the 15" OEM steel wheels to some 17"s. I have been looking at http://www.rims-n-tires.com who have wheel/tire packages for the 2010 cube. They say they guarantee the wheels won't rub or screw up my odometer/speedometer. They also seem to be way cheaper than tirerack.com Has anyone done business with these guys before?

The wheels I was looking at are:

DUB Drone Black wheels
17x7.5, bolt pattern 4x114.3, offset 40, Black.
Package for 2010 Nissan Cube (OEM 195/60-15).

(thanks to carsrmylife1189 for posting his pics!)

or

ICW Kobe wheels
17x7.0, bolt pattern 4x114.3, offset 45, Gun Metal.

paired with

WestLake SV 308 tires
205/45ZR17 High Performance

Do those sizes seem right? By my math it seems like that combination would be way too big...I'd be going from 117mm to something like 140? What about the offset?

Finally, one last request. I really don't even know where to begin looking for wheels...so if there is some place you'd recommend I take my business or even a particular wheel that you think would look great with a steel grey cube, I'd love to see your suggestions.

Thank you very much!

Edit: I'm in the D/FW area if there's someone local who knows a local shop!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have some experience with aftermarket wheels... (used to work for a tuner shop and every car i've ever owned has had aftermarket wheels and tires). Those sizes seem pretty good to me. I'm confused about what you're measuring at 117mm and 140mm. Explain how you came to those measurements and hopefully we can explain where you're going right or wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the response. I thought that the stock tire size (195/60) meant that it was 117mm high. On a 15" wheel...so I figured if I'm adding two inches to the wheel diameter (upgrading to a 17" wheel") I'd need a wheel that was 117-50mm (two inches) which would be about 66 mm high. Those tires I thought were more like 90mm high...so the total diameter of the stock wheel+tier would be smaller than the aftermarket wheel+tire diameter.

I got these numbers from the tire size because I thought the 195/60 was a ratio. Let me guess...I got it all wrong :-[.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
195 is the width.. 195mm. the 60 is a percentage. so the sidewall is 60% of the width. Hopefully that clears up your math.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
15" wheel tire:
195 * .60 = 117mm

17" wheel tire:
205 * .45 = 92.25mm
So the 17" wheel tires have a 92.25mm high sidewall. let's add the two extra inches of diameter of the 17" wheel to that:

92.25 + 2" (50.8mm) = 143.05mm

Seems like that's too big...I figured it should equal 117mm.

Sorry...it looks like I need to be spoonfed :(. Where did I go wrong? Thanks again for helping me out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
195/60

195 = the tread width which is 195mm
60 = the sidewall height which is equal to 60% of the tread width

If you measured out 60% of the 195mm tread width, then turned it on its side, it would equal the height of the sidewall.

For example, let's say for simplicity sake, you have a tire that's 200/50-15. That tire would be 8 inches wide, or 200mm. If you take 50% of that width, that would be 4 inches, meaning your sidewall height is 4 inches. The higher that percentage, the taller the sidewall gets but the tread width remains the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response, Chops :). As far as I can tell, that's exactly what I've done. 60% of 195 is 117mm as shown below. What I can't figure out is why the two sizes don't match up. I don't want to buy the wrong sizes! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts