Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. So excited to be in a cube - even if I'm experiencing my first issue here. I'm hoping someone else has had the same problem or has helped someone who has - it's weird and all the Googling I can do isn't coming up with the same issue. Or it's just not being described the way I'm seeing it play out.

My cube is a 2009, pretty sure it's one step up from the base model. It's not a Krom. I was fitting new roof racks (ski season is coming) today and had the doors open quite a bit. When I was done I went to start the cube and it wouldn't. I thought maybe it was the battery so I put my charger on it and charged it up until the charger readout said 100%. Still no go. So I started trying to figure out what was happening so I could search for solutions.

Power is good, key FOB works fine, spare FOB as well. When I hop in the cube, press the brake pedal and hit the start button the steering lock retracts, the dash lights up and that's about it. After a second or two the radio comes on and the "press brake" light comes back on. It appears to have gone to ACC mode after "trying to start" but failing to activate the starter. If I release the brake and just hit the button it "turns off" and I hear the steering gear relock the steering (and confirmed the steering does indeed lock).

Is this the symptom of the ESCL? Does the car still light the dash etc and then go to ACC mode or will the button not even wake the system up and 'try' to start the cube?

Brake lights work fine, shouldn't be the brake switch. I hope it's a known ESCL issue here....I can drive my truck but LOVE my cube and want to drive it! Thanks in advance for any wisdom and thank you for welcoming me into the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Good morning! Just an update. So I was wrong about the steering lock. It does indeed retract when I press the button, then the car does it's thing but doesn't start and then defaults to ACC mode (I'm assuming). The "press brake" light comes back on when the radio comes on - hence my assumption on ACC mode. Then when I "give up" and hit the button to leave it be and go back inside the steering gear locked things up (verified - the steering wheel does lock).

If the issue is the ESCL, will the car still light the dash etc and then go to ACC mode or will the button not even wake the system up and 'try' to start the cube? I'll edit the post above to remove the inaccurate info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like power isn't getting from the battery to the starter. It could be a dead battery, or it could be that the terminals aren't making good contact, which isn't uncommon. To clean the terminals, remove the negative terminal first and clean inside the clamp. Then clean the battery post. You can use sandpaper or a scraper of some kind, even a screwdriver. You can buy a tool specifically for that - a wire brush for both the clamp and the terminal.

Do the same with the positive terminal and then put the positive cable back on first and then the negative. I have some small "smart" trickle chargers to keep the batteries healthy. I see it's cold where you are, 3°C. Batteries don't like the cold.
Amazon.com : trickle chargers

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like power isn't getting from the battery to the starter. It could be a dead battery, or it could be that the terminals aren't making good contact, which isn't uncommon. To clean the terminals, remove the negative terminal first and clean inside the clamp. Then clean the battery post. You can use sandpaper or a scraper of some kind, even a screwdriver. You can buy a tool specifically for that - a wire brush for both the clamp and the terminal.

Do the same with the positive terminal and then put the positive cable back on first and then the negative. I have some small "smart" trickle chargers to keep the batteries healthy. I see it's cold where you are, 3°C. Batteries don't like the cold.

Good luck!
Hi you

Good luck!

Good luck!
hi I would check to see if power is getting to the starter go to the starter the small wire should have power when you try to start it the big wire should have power also , if you do then the starter is bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts