Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 really loud air horns, one for the Cube and one for the Fit from Santa :yes:

I was excited and went to install one in the Cube today. Someone said they had to remove the bumper, I did not. I removed the lower bib and raised the car 2 inche's to make it easier to fit under.

I benched tested the horn with a battery charger at 12V 6Amps and it works.

Had to pull the stock POS horn and adapter, two tin foil thin pieces of metal stacked together hold the horn in place. The new larger air horn fits in the stock location without the flimsy adapter. I tested the horn a few times during install and it worked fine. This horn clearly states it is a direct replacement for any factory horn without modification.

I reinstalled the lower bib and hit the road, pushed the steering wheel wile driving to hear the blast, two 1/2 second blasts back to back and it was nice. Then on the third nothing!

Pulled over to check the fuses, this is a joke on our vehicle, it does not match the diagram at all. The one labeled horn has no fuse even in it. The one in the fifth spot is labeled "push button start" yet I pulled it and stated the vehicle. There is nothing in the owners manual on fuse daigram either. I am hoping the horn is dead and not the steering wheel or something in the car. It worked and the wires are securley in place. I am surly hoping that a quick attachment of the old horn and it works, if not I am soooo in it up to here :no:

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just looked at the service manual and there is a section on just the horn. It too says a full removal of the front bumber is required. That is a bunch of work, and i can tell you also not needed. Looks like from the manual fuse is in location 35 ??? not mutch other help though. Guess it is back under the car.

Yippee :sick:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was so disappointed when I first heard my Cube’s horn.

I started to look at replacements and noticed how many amps some of them required. I thought if our horn is so tame it probably doesn’t draw too many amps and if I don’t install a relay with a fuse for a new horn the Cubes fuse will blow. With winter coming on I didn’t want to get into working on the Cube on really cold days. The high here tomorrow is only supposed to be 12 F with wind chills in the –15 to –20 F range.

I hope yours is just the fuse and you can replace that easily.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Christine, I hope all you find is a blown fuse. The Cube really does need a louder horn. As already mentioned, the stock cube horn probably has a pretty low amp draw, replacing it will probably require a larger fuse, but I think this can be done safely without having to add a relay unless the new horn has a really high amperage draw. Unlike adding something like higher amperage lights which usually do require a relay, the horn is only active for short bursts so a higher amp fuse should suffice. Keep us posted. - Dan

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a pull of the Bib and some reading, there are several circuits (Relays) between the steering wheel and horn.

I never found the fuse either, it is not in the fuse block.

I most likely blew the relay due to I was drawing to much power from it. I checked the new horn with the battery charger and it is fine, I did the same with the old horn, also good. I reinstalled the old horn and crossed my fingers.

No dice, I cannot find the wires past where they go behind the drivers headlight.

Soo wile getting my TPMS and rear door handles changed, I will get the horn fixed.
So the install will be the stock relay going to the included relay (stated not needed) to the new horn. I think I will wind up with new and old horn in the car due to the "chirp" wile locking the car, I am not sure the compressor will turn in that short burst.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Christine...

I'm not sure there is a fuse if you have the intelligent ignition.

The manual is confusing. If you just look at the horn section (hrn.pdf), it looks like the worlds simplest circuit, but I don't think the drawing there is correct. There is no interface shown to the computer.

If you look at PCS-4 you get a better view of the horn circuit and it shows it connected to the IPDM. The IPDM is how it does things like "chirp" when you lock doors, or sound when you press the panic button. It's in the engine compartment, near the battery. Note PG-92 shows several fuses in the IPDM box as well, but it's not at all clear if the horn fuse is in here.

It might be worth checking the horn relay. (Connector E5, from IPDM, terminal 34, red wire) It could have burned out the contacts in the relay. If you have power on the coil side when you press your horn, but nothing on the contacter side, the relay is dead. (SEC-115 describes some checks on this as well.)
If you don't have power on the coil side, then that's a bit sad.

If you blew up the IPDM ("Intelligent Power Distribution Module") then that's going to be very dissappointing, but I can't imagine that blew up. Probably the relay fried or fuse somewhere.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
839 Posts
WOW I totally missed it...LOL

You're actually installing an AIR horn, quite a bit different than a higher amperage electric horn. Yep, you'll most likely need the additional relay. Good luck and keep us posted. - Dan

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have always used a relay with air horns and never had a problem. Pretty much a given. They all came with relays.

I ran an 8 gauge wire (only because I already had it, don't need a wire that big) to the battery post with a fuse for maximum blast. they do pull a lot of current.

Anyone gotten the Nissan sports horn? How does it compare to an air horn?

·
Registered
671 Posts
ChristineK said:
I got 2 really loud air horns, one for the Cube and one for the Fit from Santa :yes:
Great idea -- it's a shame you ran into relay problems :(, though at least it helped you identify the source of the keyless entry "chirp" :)! Hope it all comes together quickly now.

The Fit will probably have the same limitation, so at least you're forewarned :)!

·
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is another install option for motorcycles, this is the install for you cubers wanting to go air horn. This option requires the use of the relay. How sad huh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts