Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am debating on a headunit and can not decide if I want to do a double din or a great single din. My concern as of now is that I do not have a garage and live in a nice area but it also tends to get broken into based on our community's location.

I feel at least with the single din I can remove the face (although who really does this?) and with a single din it doesnt look quite as fancy where a double din kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

So on one hand I could get the double din and have dvd/nav/etc etc however all I really want is dvd as nav isnt something I am really interested in. The unit I am lookin at for a double din is the Kenwood Excelon DDX-814.

The single din is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. This does have built in bluetooth and the ability to use the original steering wheel controls and ipod hook up. I figure I can get an installation kit that has the pocket underneath the stereo where I would house the ipod.

The other benefit of a single din is it allows me to bump-up the quality of my new mids and highs and get the 3-way component set of Focal Polyglass.

Let me know what you think as this is a huge decision to start the groundwork to get my sound system together.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Please bring me up to speed on single/double "DIN". I don't know what that means. I would probably not replace a stereo system (as long as it's descent) in my own car. I never have anyway, so I'm not familiar with lots of the terms you young guys use. Any bit of clarification would be appreciated. JUST the basics......................nothing too technical. ??? :eek: :roll: :-[

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem...what we have in the Cube is a double din...takes up twice the space of a typical stereo that you see in most vehicles where a single din is the size of a typical stereo in a car.

I always say a double din is a fat stereo in the dash lol...typically seen as a touchscreen navigation dvd player in the dash.

And I am going to replace everything that is in the Cube...I have the 6 speaker with Rockford woofer but want to upgrade it all. I already own two amplifiers and a sub. Just need a new stereo and speakers for the front doors...plus all the other odds and ends that goes with it all = )

·
Registered
394 Posts
Damn.......................I'd be happy just to have the Rockford Fosgate When I buy a Cube !!!! Although............I gotta admit I'd like to have a built in Nav unit/stereo with a touch screen :yes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Serious question: how about upgrading your living status first?

Best thing I did when we were young newlyweds was get out of a "nice" apartment into a cheap rent home with a garage and a good landlord. It was only about $50 more at the time but so well worth it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went with a single din. I actually flipped the kit so the pocket is at the top(only do this if you are using a separate amp, it gets warm). It lines up across the dash with the gauges. Looks better imo. Anyhow I did the same thing, swapped out all the speakers and put the amps under the seats.

The double looks very nice too. I think when I get a new deck I'm going double(alarm is before this on the list though).

Oh and I do at least pop my faceplate off and throw it in the glove compartment, subtle security.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own my condo and have been here 3 years...its actually a really nice place thus the wonderful reasons that we get the idiots who come in to our community to steal.

That's the wonderful thing of living anywhere in the Chicagoland area...nice place is always blocks from the bad. So at this point really wouldn't want to move as I own my place.

On the brightside as a community we have been really great at deterring a lot of the morons who used to come around by working with the local law enforcement and really havent had any issues in about a year. But just like anywhere else...no matter how "nice" the area it is always vulnerable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of going single and having the pocket on top...do you have pics of your set-up? Sounds awesome since you thought about keeping all the components near eachother to make it more streamlined.

Yeah I am stoked b/c I have some Alpine PDX amps sitting in my bedroom and an Alpine Type X 12" sub ready to go. Just need to get the headunit and decide on the components although I really think I want some Focals.

Time will tell I suppose

·
Registered
929 Posts
Why bother replacing the stereo at all, with the risk of theft? The stock system is pretty good on it's own IMHO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
you guys are spoiled with all those nice sounds system.

I am still listening to my system with 2 speakers stereo sound of my base model Cube.
I thought about upgrading but also concern about theft. Don't want to put out more $$$ for a aftermarket alarm system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well and thats just it...I have always had systems in my vehicles but with regular single din stereo's I have never had an issue...but my buddies with doubles or in-dash monitors have been broken into (they dont live in the area). I guess all in all I shouldn't live in fear of it but like to take precautions. Thus why I am also spending 700 bucks on a top of the line two way alarm so if anyone does tamper with it not only will my alarm go off but my keyfob for the alarm will alert me as well. (Although the idea of running off a thief isn't always the brightest idea).

I think single din will be the way I go...I essentially want great sound but don't think I will miss the video as I have never gone that route with all the systems I have had.

Once I drop off the Cube for it's alarm on Saturday I will get more details and go from there...so we will see

·
Registered
108 Posts
GOt to give you a thumbs up on the FOCAL...At first I did not switch out the back door speakers and put a set of FOCALs up front and my wife(not crazy about audio) told me to just turn the back speakers off because they sounded like crap compared to the FOCAL...so you don't know how bad something is untill you replace it...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Fortunately I can get by without a ton of sound so for the most part a stock stereo will usually do. But I'm on the road a lot and need a GPS to find streets and addresses, but my retirement income doesn't support anything high end. So I thought I'd give a Chinese 2 din combination HU a shot. With all it's features it's about 1/4 the cost of a name brand unit (probably made in China anyway). So far I love it. - Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats a nice looking head unit...and at 1/4 the cost why not!? My only concern is I would need to see the preout volt as I would want at least 4v based on the amplifiers I am using.

Yeah the plan right now is to put the Focals in the front doors and just do away with the rears as they produce enough sound for the entire cabin.

The last time I was at the shop they were pushing the 3 way set although I wonder if I should do the Polyglass 3-way components or the 2 way K2 Powers. It's an upgrade in speaker for about the same as the 3-way but I know I will get a better full range with the 3 way set...I guess tomorrow when I drop off the Cube for the alarm I will see what they say...although I am curious to see what the install for the larger component set would be since they have to cut a hole in the door panels to make the 4" fit.

We will see...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like that headunit :)
I was going to to go with the 3 way but I have the FOCAL 165 KRX2 which runs my amp at 2 ohm stereo and it does the trick...Just curious...where do you live?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in aurora, il...and now that my cat just woke me up early...darn kitty! I am only hours from my new alarm...lol. Hate when I can't fall back to sleep.

and after more research last night...I found a double din dvd touchscreen by jvc that actually has the preout voltage I want and it has a removable screen!!! The reviews of it have been great so this is a new potential option for me.http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028477&pathId=133&page=1

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jasonbillups said:
Just asking(Im the FOCAL rep for Indiana)...Im using the JVC also http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028539&pathId=126&page=1 they do very well..
That is a very nice unit...I am contemplating this other model mostly b/c I really have no need for navigation...although it is a really nice add-on feature I have only touched my GPS twice in the 2 years I have owned it so I figured why not save the money.

Do you rep any part of IL at all? I am contemplating the Polyglass 3 way component set? Is this a good choice or should I consider another line in the Focal family? Keep in mind I would be using an Alpine PDX4.150.

Thanks for your advice and input

·
Registered
108 Posts
Being a rep I needed the Navi but the BT sucks on it...No I dont rep FOCAL in IL at all..the only 2 things I rep in IL is Scytek Electronics and Directus.
The 3 way polyglass comp is very nice and I sale a lot of them. You will be running 150w per channel so with that amount of power, I would use the K2 series(KRX2 or KRX3)...Don't get me wrong the polygalss will be fine but you are pushing the limits of power handling on them and with that kind of power it may be worth stepping up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's very good to know. I was even contemplating upping the ante so I could bridge the amp down and send 300 watts to each door...a bit of overkill but hey I have the power and I dont really see a need for speakers in the rear doors based on my experience especially with this nicer full sounding speaker set.

The dealer recommended I go with a 3way poly over a 2way K2 set...I know it will be more "full" but in your opinion should I just go 2way comp set and be done with it?

How much more sound will I get out of the poly3?

Plus I know if I want a 3 way set I dont think I want to invest in the K2 3 way...a little out of my price range. I figured a grand for a front component set would be my limit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts