Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual and I am only averaging 30MPG (70%hiway, 30city). Looks like the Fiesta can do 35MPG (combined) apple to apple comparison.
I don't know if the shape of the Cube is causing this but the Versa MPG is not much better.

Now I wish Cube can improve in this area.

[Info got from edmunds.com]
The 0-60-mph sprint takes roughly 9.5 seconds ? about the same as a Honda Fit. Ford estimates the Fiesta's fuel economy at 30 mpg city/40 mpg highway for the automatic and 29/38 for the manual.

Curb Weight: 2578 lbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im getting 27-31, about 50/50 city highway with my manual. Could probably get better, but I love quick starts too much to go a whole tank without stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
657 Posts
eddeeeee said:
Im getting 27-31, about 50/50 city highway with my manual. Could probably get better, but I love quick starts too much to go a whole tank without stepping on the gas.
same here i always like to push my car everytime i get in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already did everything I could in the city (easy start and put in neutral to slow down).
But I have to admit I do 75mph most of the time on the hiway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was on I95 yesterday, and I was absolutley amazed a difference in MPG between 75 mph (average vehicle speed in 4 lane section) and 55 mph (speedlimit and average vehicle speed in 2-3 lane sections).

It really has me wondering how much $$$ I could save off of keeping in the slow lanes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Speaking for myself, I pretty much live in the right-most lane. Virtually everybody passes me, but I figure they can't complain too much because I'm usually all the way to the right (exception being the exit lanes). On the positive side, it tends to be calmer over there, there's rarely a problem getting to your exit, and the troopers have zero interest in you :)! On the negative side, it may take a couple minutes longer to arrive, it won't be as exciting a trip, and you're likely to feel more relaxed (or is that a positive?).

In any case, there is something to be said for driving at more moderate speeds, despite it not having the same thrill factor (OK by me :)).

·
2,084 Posts
Like said above the aerodynamics of this vehicle are equal to a cinder block.

The CVT gets really good gas milage actually, but the CVT give you a sluggish feel

·
Registered
179 Posts
As soon as it got cold my mpg went from 27 to 24 :sick: ? I'm not sure why. I might try putting my OE intake back on and see if it makes a diff. :-\ 8)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've averaged 29.54 for 2,174 miles with a CVT and lots of cruise control. I generally drive at the same speed as the rest of the traffic. I make sur ethe tires are at 33 psi. One thing I noticed with the CVT - coasting is not very good. We have an '02 Buick, and when I take my foot off the gas, it just keeps going -coasting. That has averaged about 27 mpg since we got it a few years ago.

I got this from cartalk.com: "Wind resistance increases dramatically with speed. That's why aerodynamics have become so important in the last 15 years, and why all of our cars now look like jelly beans. How much does it matter? Consider this: for every ten miles per hour you floor it, you lose as much as 15% in fuel economy."

At least the Cube uses regular, unlike the Smart, which has to use premium.

More from cartalk.com:
"Several things conspire to lower your mileage in cold weather. One is lower tire pressure. Even without any leaks, tire pressure drops about a pound for every 10-degree drop in temperature. So if you haven't checked the pressure since it was 80 degrees in the shade last summer, you may have lost enough tire pressure to seriously reduce your mileage."

"The other important change that occurs in the winter is that gasoline doesn't burn as well in cold temperatures. So you're not burning all of your gasoline completely. That means that some of it is being wasted in the cylinders, and that's hurting your mileage."

Jerry

·
Registered
929 Posts
I drive almost 100% city. I'm averaging about 27 in the winter. For me, this is a total WIN since my last car got about 12 city.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try avoiding fuel with ethanol in it and see if that helps a little. Lock the autopilot on 60. You'll still get there................. 8)

·
2,084 Posts
CubicKrom said:
As soon as it got cold my mpg went from 27 to 24 :sick: ? I'm not sure why. I might try putting my OE intake back on and see if it makes a diff. :-\ 8)
Gas is more fissionable when warn and the molecules expanded. When the engine and fuel are cold even less fissionable. I learned this with the Honda Fit, it gets way better milage during the summer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ChristineK said:
Gas is more fissionable when warm and the molecules expanded. When the engine and fuel are cold even less fissionable. I learned this with the Honda Fit, it gets way better milage during the summer.
jerryc41 said:
"The other important change that occurs in the winter is that gasoline doesn't burn as well in cold temperatures. So you're not burning all of your gasoline completely. That means that some of it is being wasted in the cylinders, and that's hurting your mileage."

Jerry
Another reason(s) to head south. :yes: 8)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gasoline manufacturers use a different blend for the warm months Vs the cold months. I've always wondered what verifyable affect that has on gas mileage. My impression is that my MPG takes roughly a step increase with warmer weather, and a step decrease with cold -- and that's going to the very same gas station each time. I've no idea whether that coincides with blend changes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i've been averaging a measly 26mpg with cvt in the cold weather (temps 12-40 degrees). i don't drive crazy in the city but i do average 75-80mph on the freeway. it shocks me whenever i see people averaging 32-34mpg on this board. are you guys driving 55mph for 5-6 hours straight? :roll:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts