Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a new car, and I've decided on the cube. I love quirky little cars, and an asymmetrical box really appeals to me. I just need to decide on year/options
Anyway. my time frame is 1-4 months. I want it now, but I would also like to wait for the worst of winter to be over. I can't find an 2010 on the lot within 50 miles of me, so if I wanted one I would have to order it. I have a dealer willing to order me one, but I'm told the turn around time is 4 months, so I would need to make the decision now. At least I could get it decked out. The big question is... is it worth it to get the SL prefered package? I probably would be paying right around MSRP of $19,860 which seems a bit steep in comparison to the 09 models I can get.
it comes with...
Fog lights -
Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition
Premium AM/FM/CD audio system with 4.3” color display
USB connectivity (iPod®-compatible)
RearView Monitor
XM® Satellite Radio3 and six upgraded speakers
Rockford Fosgate 8" subwoofer and amplifier

is the upgraded stereo much better? or should I put one together DIY style.
where is the USB connector located, and how well does it work?

The push button ignition is neat, and so is the rear view monitor, but I can live without the fog lights and xm radio.

If I go with an 2010 S model and upgrade the stereo, do the stereo controls on the steering wheel become useless?

Is the Automatic Air Con worth it? or just a bit of fanciness I don't need?

I can get a 09 SL with the interior package for $16,739 or an 09 S for $15,712 (probably could haggle down a bit more) Are those good prices or average ones? Keep looking?

And why did the mileage go from 28/30 for the 09 to 27/31 for the 10? is it just a difference in EPA calculations?

I'll probably have another barrage of questions later... I get indecisive about what is worth the $$$ and what isn't.

·
Registered
410 Posts
welcome and good choice 8) i can't help you with pricing cause i am in canada, everything cost more here :roll:
but when the rest of the members wake up later you will have a lot of help ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as I know and don't quote me on this, But I do believe that there is no significant difference between the 09 and the 10, It all has to do with the package and the edition you buy . I have an 09 1.8 sl with all the possible beels and whistles Nissan could throw in the cube and walked out at a fairly decent price. Now i am saying that here in Louisiana they are having a year's end event i believe is Nissan's A to Z sale so it id knock a couple of grand off the 09 where it would do it for the 10 . at first i thought i would regret not getting the newest cube on the lot but I'm absolutely satisfied with my 09'. Just throwing my input at ya just so you don't think you got jipped for getting an 09' instead of a 10'. I know I'm just rambling on and on and on now lol! SORRY! well the best of luck on your cube shopping ... and by the way the 09 is giving me 29.3 mpg at this time. a lil city and hwy mixture.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input, I'm leaning towards the 2009 for price reasons anyway. The bells and whistles on the 2010 are nice, but probably not required. I was doing some internet shopping last night and realized I can get an 09 sl for around $15500, and then upgrade the stereo to get the two main features I want, bluetooth and usb connectivity. Only problem with the 09 is if I want a blue or green one I get to move up my timeline (oh darn). The wife / keeper of the checkbook likes the idea of cheaper and less features anyway. I think she is convinced on the sl, if for no other reason than she always asks if I turned the headlights on. ;D
Everyone is doing the Nissan Year end event up here, but the nationwide event doesn't include the cube :mad: I'm getting $500 back cause I graduated a year ago, so thats a small help I guess. It will pay for the new headunit at least! I just need to hope Rubik finishes his install before I'm ready to start :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
TTThomas said:
is the upgraded stereo much better? or should I put one together DIY style.
where is the USB connector located, and how well does it work?
The headunit is the most significant improvement of the audio system. You could definitely put together a better aftermarket system, but what you miss is the seamless integration with factory features such as Bluetooth.

The USB connector is located just above the cupholders where the propietary iPod interface for the 2009 models plugs into. I've only plugged in my iPhone, but it works very well.

I purchased a 2010 SL with Illuminated Kickplates and SL Preferred and Interior Designer Packages. I can say with absolute certainty that I prefer RearView Monitor over the sonar system.

The push button ignition is neat, and so is the rear view monitor, but I can live without the fog lights and xm radio.
Unfortunately, there's no way to separate those features from each other. But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

If I go with an 2010 S model and upgrade the stereo, do the stereo controls on the steering wheel become useless?
If you replace the headunit on a 2010 S, there are third-party companies that sell adapters that allow the steering wheel audio controls to still be retained. With that said, I have not yet found one that interfaces properly with the Cube.

Is the Automatic Air Con worth it? or just a bit of fanciness I don't need?
Automatic climate control is certainly a nice-to-have, especially in a car at this price point. It certainly isn't necessary though. The manual climate controls work just fine.

I can get a 09 SL with the interior package for $16,739 or an 09 S for $15,712 (probably could haggle down a bit more) Are those good prices or average ones? Keep looking?
Those prices are average. Just below MSRP, but certainly not the best you could do.

And why did the mileage go from 28/30 for the 09 to 27/31 for the 10? is it just a difference in EPA calculations?
I believe there was a change in the EPA calculation. Mechanically, the 2009 and 2010 models should be the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info schtebie! Really addressed alot of my concerns.

How well does the integrated bluetooth work? callers can hear you ok? and have you streamed music over the bluetooth? Does the USB charge your IPod as well?

The rear view is one of those wow factors for when I'm driving coworkers to the indian buffet for lunch, but beyond that I'm not sure how much I would use it. The upgraded headunit doesn't do dvds though, right? Anyone know if the sub woofer is easily upgradable? I really like that it is integrated into the door so I don't lose space, and I'm just interested in added depth to my music, not license plate rattling bump.

Thanks for the info on the prices. I've found some dealers that have a high quantity of 09 cubes that are offering better deals like $14900 for a S and $15500 for a SL. The dealers are out of state so I will have to handle my own registration, but not a big deal. I should be able to use them as bargaining points for my local dealer as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are into car audio or audio in general, you will diy. You can do it much better and for much less. You can keep your stock controls, just don't replace the headunit. Simply replace the door speakers with something like PG RSD 6.5" components (excellent speakers) and then get a sub and amp that fits your bill. Will be much cheaper and sounds much better

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
replacing the headunit is nessecary for me to get two main features, USB connectivity and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you looked at NissanUSA.com to see the difference between the 09 and 10 Cubes. My new 2010 is supposed to be here in about 2 weeks. It is an 1.8S, which now has the upgraded Head Unit the the 09 SL's had, it has Bluetooth, 6 speakers, leather wrapped steering wheel with audio and cruise controls on it, speed sensitive volume control, etc. For me I just paid the extra $327.00 between invoice on an 09 and a 2010. My cargo organizer, interior designer pkg and splash guards were all at invoice so it was a no brainer to get the 2010 S. My wife has the push button ignition in her Altima and its nice along with a few other goodies, but is the cost worth it to me, no. I also wanted the 6 speed and you can't get that with the SL. My 02. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bachelor in me wants the 6 speed, but I've had a manual for years, and my wife informs me it is time for her to be able to drive my car, and that means the CVT. anyway. manual is no fun in rush hour.
I think I'm going to wait a month at least, so I can see what comes from work this year end. Probably nothing, but who knows! 09's are cheap, but 10's have some really nice options. I've checked the nissan site several times to see the differences, I just have to decide if they are worth the $$$.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I HAVE TO ASK YOU THIS QUESTION. I was in the service with a guy names Thomas T Thompson III, I suppose there is no way you are him?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, sorry. I'm not that cool. I was just The Third Thomas on another messageboard (pre forum software w/ no user control). Been using the name for years now on forums.

·
2,084 Posts
TTThomas said:
replacing the headunit is nessecary for me to get two main features, USB connectivity and Bluetooth.
Interesting thread and nice to see the differences in our next gen cube.

For Bluetooth there is a microphone just above the drivers head built into the headliner, Not sure that is in the S Model or still will work if you go aftermarket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
TTThomas said:
How well does the integrated bluetooth work? callers can hear you ok? and have you streamed music over the bluetooth? Does the USB charge your IPod as well?
The integrated Bluetooth works fine in my experience. Callers can hear me -- no complaints there. I haven't tried streaming music over Bluetooth, however. And the USB connection does charge the iPod.

The rear view is one of those wow factors for when I'm driving coworkers to the indian buffet for lunch, but beyond that I'm not sure how much I would use it. The upgraded headunit doesn't do dvds though, right? Anyone know if the sub woofer is easily upgradable? I really like that it is integrated into the door so I don't lose space, and I'm just interested in added depth to my music, not license plate rattling bump.
RearView Monitor is very useful in my opinion. Rear visibility, at least in my experience, isn't as great as you'd think. The wow factor is just an added bonus.

The upgraded headunit can only read CDs. If you opt to upgrade the subwoofer, you will definitely have to replace more than just the speaker itself. The subwoofer specs are 80W RMS/120W Peak at .6 ohms. The enclosure is fairly shallow, so finding a replacement that will fit in the factory location is going to be VERY tough. Believe me, I tried. With that said, the subwoofer sound quality isn't too bad, especially with the 4.3" display audio headunit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My only two cents is in regards to the stereo. Essentially all the features you want can be had in an aftermarket system...if you can just save the money from the factory equipped Fosgate System and use it towards your aftermarket.

The Fosgate system is definitely nice however it just doesn't compare to anything that is of decent quality in the aftermarket world which obviously will cost you much more money but is always so worth it.

All the features you can get in the top of the line dealer installed stereo can be had in a great aftermarket headunit...you just need to know what is important to you and go with that headunit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand the features I want can be found in an aftermarket, but I wonder about the fit and finish. like for bluetooth... will I end up with some microphone stuck on my dash somewhere. and how well do aftermarket backup cameras work? how do they look mounted?

I'm sure I can get the usb hookup hidden, and I can interface w/ steering controls, but I've never done more than change out a head unit/stock speakers so I don't know if I can do the rest of an install, or have any idea how much it costs to have a setup installed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well the microphone can be mounted wherever you want it...mine will be mounted in the drivers-side pillar at the top which is hard to notice however I am not certain on the back-up cameras.

I know they now have the plain license plate frames that you can mount a rear view camera to which in my opinion is better than the 2010's rearview camera that sticks out of the rear door almost as if it has back acne...lol.

The double din I just had installed looks factory and seems to work well so far with the steering wheels controls and what not.

Good luck on your decision...in the end it will be the right one b/c once you get your hands on the Cube you will wanna just make her your own...that's the fun part :yes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, random thought.
09 w/ SL preferred package. Can I hook the microphone from stock headunit into an aftermarket unit? Either a direct connect or by cutting wires and soldering (soder?, sauder? how the hell is that word spelled???) the two together? Just throwing a thought out.

And everyone, I really appreciate all the help you have rendered. Excellent information/opinions from the forum!

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's a really good question...surely its possible. I will call my audio guy tomorrow and see if its something that can be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts