Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

Miles per Gallon so far?

140K views 246 replies 106 participants last post by  mandoman28 
#1 ·
What are new owners getting in terms of mpg? im mostly interested in what the 6sp manual gets in owners hands, but CVT owners answer too

thanks

#29 ·
crutnacker said:
I'm not a fan of left lane slow pokes either (I'm a right lane speed limit or better driver). The worst part is when they won't get over even though there is a long line of PO'ed drivers behind them.
I don't understand it either. The ones swerving all over the place think they have more important places to go and the speed limit or less drivers in the left lane think they're doing the right thing so they shouldn't have to move or be pushed. That's great for them but everyone else gets stuck in their messes. A little common courtesy would go so much farther at making the roads safer and more enjoyable.

So to answer your earlier question about locking the cruise at a lower speed. 70% of this last tank was done in the city in off peak times (little to no traffic) and 30% highway driving off peak. This time I was able to lock the cruise at 65mph on the wide part of the 60. When I filled up this morning I put 9.97 gallons in and trip calculator read 310.5miles driven. That's 31.14 for my normal driving at lower speeds. Not bad at all:) I can't believe I put 1300+ miles on my car in 2weeks. All these gas saving added up to more fishing up North and way more miles driven.

#30 ·
re-post from another section:

My cube is a 6-speed, and yeah shifting is really smooth. It feels almost like a sports shift to me.
The clutch is reeally short, so it would be easier for beginers. The reverse is a pain in the ass though, I'm getting used to it but still, ergh.

As far as MPG goes I think the rated 24/29 is bull corn! I've driven it aprox. 150 miles and it's still at 3/4 tank. it's 13 gallon so Ive prolly burned between 3-4 gallons, and A/C has been on half the time and it has mostly been Highway 55-70 MpH speed. So I think it's safe to say Im getting at least 35 MpG and prolly somewhere between that and 50 MpG.

Also you can switch(toggle) your trip meter to display fuel efficiency rate (instead) as you drive.

When I'm accellerating its in the 20s, foot lightly on the gas it averages 47MpG and coasting is 60 MpG.

LOVE the digital Fuel guage by the way I hate the old "sundial" type that usually gets flakey after a cold winter or if it gets too low at some point, I've been waiting for this in my auto for a looong time.

UPDATE! My current mileage is 225 and my fuel guage is halfway between 1/2 and 3/4 tank (10/16 "beads") A/C on most of the time, driving on the highway vast majority of the time.

#31 ·
09' Cube 1.8s CVT
Odometer: 1350
20% city / 80% Highway
Computer Reading: 30.8mpg
Actual: 29.97 mpg
Highway Speed 65-85mph
Conditions: Lots of hill climbing with altitude and temp changes. 10-20mph wind gusts.
No Cruise Control or long periods at a constant RPM.

This will probably be the last one I post here unless I break my record of 31. I'm consistently seeing 29mpg+ w/ normal driving and I'm pretty sure the engine is broken in.

#33 ·
i'm loving these updates! i'm particularly interested in commando's future reports since he has the 6-speed. by the way, i agree that a 6-speed cube would be very easy for a newbie to learn on :yes: but one thing i do prefer in my current car over the cube is shifting into reverse - pushing the shifter down and into the 1st gear position is less awkward than the weird little ring :p

#34 ·
I can tell you right now why they have done the weird little ring.

With the six speed, when downshifting from sixth gear to fifth gear, it used to be entirely too easy to go into reverse instead fifth gear. LOL=Crunch!!!

I had a six speed 2002 Sentra Spec V and did that several times on the highway.

#37 ·
EzeE1o said:
re: the 6sp + reverse, the reverse on an RSX-s is to the right of the 5-6 gate, but theres a lockout. so its possible to have 6spds without resorting to a ring / push down
I see. I did not realize that the reverse in the newer 6 speed shifters is up next to first gear. In my 2002 Spec V, reverse was next to sixth gear which made it so easy to go into reverse instead of sixth.

That ring doesn't make sense alright. I see that now.

#39 ·
Just finished a 637 mile trip through out Florida. We averaged 75-85 mpg on major highways and the trip computer seemed stuck at 27.5 mpg. When I stopped for gas, I did the manual calculation and we were averaging 24 mpgs. Not bad, considering our speed.

My conclusions after 2000 miles in under 3 weeks... is the Cube is better around town. But, not by much.

#40 ·
Just bought an SL (CVT) two days ago, and subsequently had to drive it 5 hours back home. The fact of the matter is that most vehicles now a days are designed to get about 350-400 miles for a single tank of gas (this is assuming you are driving on the highway at a relatively constant speed). As an example, I drove a MINI Cooper S before buying the cube and both could make the 5 hour trip on a single tank of gas, it just cost more to refill the tank.

If you are more concerned with the milage per gallon, I drove the trip constantly changing my speed (I'm still breaking it in) and averaged 29 mpg. Had about 1/8 a tank left when I got home. Conversely, the computer estimates I am averaging 35-40 mpg when I am delivering pizza around town.

#41 ·
Update: I've hit the 500 mark! My current reading is 507. I put 10.4 gallons of gas in, and it is now just under 3/4 tank (11/16 beads).

It is so cool how the thing tells you how many miles you have left in the tank when you get low.

I have the 16" wheels on there now. Got them on Friday and I think I average about 2mpg less than before.

#42 ·
1.8 S CVT, mine only has 300 miles on the odometer now. Mixed city/hwy driving fuel economy is 28 mpg.
Hwy cruising with no crazy accelerations: 33.3 mpg. If I am on the gas and doing above 80mph, the fuel economy on hwy goes down to 29.4 mpg.

Once the engine is fully broken in, the fuel economy should increase. I also am planning on getting some 17" with 215/45 R17 wheels, which unfortunately probably will be bad for fuel efficiency.

#45 ·
Okay, more about that 37mpg. The tank before that was overfilled, the pump nozzle thing had malfunctioned.

The tank that I filled up when the pump malfunctioned was like 21.3 mpg which is terrible but it was impossible to get a good calculation because I put too much gas in the car and did not know how much I used on that tank.

Then of course with the 37mpg tank, it basically started out with too much gas in the tank since each time I fill up; I let the tank fill till the nozzle stops by itself and don't put anymore after that for the sake of accuracy.

#47 ·
Update: 682 miles and back down to low again (2 beads). So yeah it's been a significant drop since I put the 16s on. Also I seem to have been hitting more traffic lately in my commute as well.

(682 - 50)/(13.2 - 1.6) + 10.4 = 632/22 = 28.72rep MPG Total ... ouch, I may wanna put the 15s back on, or get that K&N Air Filter.

Also I played with Cruise Control today, a personal first. It's wieeeerd (on a manual!) but overall used up more gas than normal.

#51 ·
got 29.5 mpg on my most recent fill-up. mostly city. mediocre numbers at best. but mpg wasn't the main reason why i got the cube. it's nice that it isn't gawd awful as far as mpg tho.

p.s. it'll get even worse as i go up in wheel/tire size (even with intake/exhaust mods). no worries. at least i have a cool ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.