Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to purchase the megan racing lowering springs from Bean garage which it said to offer a 1.75-2.00 inch drop. Could anyone that has had these lowering springs installed on their cubes tell me how good they are? Can you feel a big difference when driving or when going over bumps? Anything else that I need to purchase along with the lowering springs?

Any help and tips would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would expect the car to feel very different. The center of gravity will be considerably lower and so the lean when cornering will be reduced. You may need to be a little careful when driving over speed bumps and driveway entrances/exits (plus railroad crossings and potholes), but that comes of having reduced clearance -- just takes a little care. I don't see you needing to purchase anything else in order to make this change. You just need to recognize that driving with limited Vs. typical undercarraige clearance requires a degree of attention to avoid contact with the underlying surface.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Trevor pretty much nailed it. Less ground is a concern, but the real issue is to not allow your struts to bottom out, it will kill them quickly if you do. At this point I don't think anyone makes a shorter strut and shock kit for the Cube. If driven properly your stock shocks and struts should service you well. And when they do go bad, maybe by then someone will have develepoed a nice set for lowered cubes. If not, you can always replace the dead stockers with higher quality after market units. - Dan

·
2,084 Posts
When looking to lower my Fit I did a lot of research and many said to stay away from Magan racing. Some had pics to back up claims too. The finish peels off and the rust in-sues, some reported an un-level lower/ IE different clearance between tire and fender.

I got Eibach lowering springs and the finish is still perfect but my left rear has a click to it I have never figured out!

Anyone know what this is? I thought something was loose but after inspection it is the spring itself. This bugs the crud out of me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ChristineK said:
When looking to lower my Fit I did a lot of research and many said to stay away from Magan racing. Some had pics to back up claims too. The finish peels off and the rust in-sues, some reported an un-level lower/ IE different clearance between tire and fender.

I got Eibach lowering springs and the finish is still perfect but my left rear has a click to it I have never figured out!

Anyone know what this is? I thought something was loose but after inspection it is the spring itself. This bugs the crud out of me.
The clicking is normal, I have heard this on a cars I have driven too with springs. Was it installed by a shop? Sounds weird, but make sure it is on the right way up and not upside down ;P

Also some spring companies make a coil to go around the spring along the top half of it to help with clicking noises, such as Tanabe pictured below

molejao43 said:
Hello,

I am looking to purchase the megan racing lowering springs from Bean garage which it said to offer a 1.75-2.00 inch drop. Could anyone that has had these lowering springs installed on their cubes tell me how good they are? Can you feel a big difference when driving or when going over bumps? Anything else that I need to purchase along with the lowering springs?

Any help and tips would be great.

Thanks
You won't need anything else on your Cube besides the springs to lower it. I always recommend an alignment after any car is lowered to ensure your tires won't go bald after a week. Eventually you may want to get replacement shocks if you notice your stock ones are going bad, like Square1 mentioned. Other than that, you don't need a camber kit or anything else.

You will def. notice a difference in the driving feel. It will be stiffer and you will feel the road a bit more.

A lot of people bash Megan Racing as being a "cheap" company, but keep in mind that most springs are made by the same manufacturer and labeled differently by the brands that sell them. I have had no complaints with the Megan springs sold to other Nissan Cube owners, but the decision is ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Like bean say's. Megan does get it's share of bashing. Several years ago they got bashed a lot and I think some of the current bashing stems from history and not current application.

With that said, if you read the Cube and Versa forums you'll find there are several people currently using Megan's without any problems. At their price I think it would be well worth while to give them a shot.

I plan to lower my Cube at some point and really want to use coilovers, but because of their cost I'm thinking of getting a set of Megan's as an intrim to get my Cube lowered while I save up for the much more expensive coilovers. - Dan

·
Registered
929 Posts
Do these springs eliminate some of the factory ride's bounciness? Sometimes the factory springs feel like cut springs... bounce bounce bounce.

·
2,084 Posts
Bean_Garage said:
The clicking is normal, I have heard this on a cars I have driven too with springs. Was it installed by a shop? Sounds weird, but make sure it is on the right way up and not upside down ;P

Also some spring companies make a coil to go around the spring along the top half of it to help with clicking noises
I installed these myself, they are directional and they are in fact right side up. The Eibach's come with a rubber tube slid over the coil like the pictured. I hate the noise and it if is normal would definitely keep me from lowering my cube on springs. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it. I am going to do some thinking over the weekend and see what I decide to do.

Thanks again

·
Registered
671 Posts
ChristineK said:

I installed Eibach Pro-Kit in both my cars and there are no clicks, but that might be because there are rubber pads above and below the springs. Don't know if the Fit also has them. The only thing I remember having to be especially careful about was to make sure the springs were rotated correctly so that the free end at the base of the coil was snugged in to its seat (the rubber pad resting between them).

·
2,084 Posts
Same here, mine has the pads and there is a notch in it for the end of the spring to sit in so you cant even mess that up.

I jacked up the car, pulled the wheel and inspected everything, all looks good, I pulled on the spring and pop, Thus I know it is the spring. I even moved the rubber tube up and down the coil to see if it changed and nothing changed. It is only the one wheel too

Bummed :-\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts