Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

Long Engine Crank Time Before Starting

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  6speedSS 
#1 ·
Last Saturday I experienced my first problem with my 2012 Cube. I owned it for 2 1/2 years and it has 46K miles. Usually when it only takes a second of cranking before it starts. On Saturday it cranked over for around 30 seconds and then finally started. I drove it about 4 miles and started it twice without issue. I used to own a 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6 and experienced this same issue and I fixed it by replacing the 2 Camshaft Position Sensors. The one on the front bank was easy to replace but the back one required more effort.

I knew this was the same issue on my cube. It didn't cause the check engine light to come on so other than the long cranking time there were no other symptoms once the engine started. I went to my local parts store (starts with an A rhymes with bone, not the Nissan Dealer) and picked up a new camshaft position sensor for $49.99 plus tax, minus my 10% veteran's discount. It only took me 20 minutes to replace. The only tools I needed were a 10mm socket, a short extension, a ratchet and a screw driver. To replace it requires removal of the engine cover (2, 10mm bolts), removal of the 1, 10mm bolt that attaches the sensor and removal of the connector from the sensor. The sensor is on the very top of the engine on the far right side (driver's side). There's a bracket that is somewhat in the way of getting the socket on the sensor bolt so I used the screw driver to pry it back. Once the sensor is replaced and the engine cover is back on, there is nothing left to do. I've started the engine well over 30 times since the repair and it starts within a second every time.

If you're a bit of a do it yourself type of person, I'd recommend doing this if you experience a long cranking start. I checked dealerships here in Phoenix and the camshaft position sensor goes for over $100. I'm sure if you let the dealer do the repair you'll probably leave $250 or more poorer.

I hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem. I didn't take pictures during the repair because I live in an apartment and I had to finish before management arrived for the day. They frown on car repairs other than changing a flat tire. I did take pictures of the bad sensor for identification purposes.

Receipt Font Material property Paper Rectangle

Camera accessory Gas Auto part Household hardware Metal

Rectangle Household hardware Cable Wire Font

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the post. Did the long start occur for every start of your car?

I am having an issue with a long start when the engine is warm. Cold start, no problem. Drive the car to work in the morning - no problem. Drive the car to lunch, a few hours later..long start problem. Long start meaning about 5 seconds. Drive back to work from lunch break, no problem (hot engine).

From what I can gather searching the web it may be a fuel vaporisation problem. I do not know what the solution is. Do you have any thoughts?

#5 ·
As an update, I've added 16K miles to my Cube since I replaced the camshaft position sensor. The long cranking time before start has never shown up again. When I had the issue it would always happen when the engine was at operating temperature and I had shut it off went to restart it shortly after. When an engine shutdown, there is no longer coolant flowing through it. This causes the engine temperature to rise to a level higher than the normal operating temperature when you shut it off. If left off long enough the temperature will drop below operating temperature. I believe a bad camshaft position sensor gets squirrely at the higher than normal operating temperature and recovers when the engine cools down.

#7 ·
Thanks for the update! My issues sounded more like the other guy in this thread, but that’s exactly what mines doing at normal operating temperature. It’s in the 100’s and super hot as it is. I just don’t want to start parts changing to figure it out. I put a new battery in key fob, got my new fuel pump today(free warranty) which I wanted to replace anyways due to faulty fuel level sensor. Kind of feels like a fuel pressure issue too and it was free so gonna replace it. I’ve found a CPS made by Delphi I got my eye on for $37 shipped. I usually only buy OEM Nissan parts, but heard lots of stories of aftermarket ones working great. Only other thing it could be is a fuel pressure regulator, which I can’t find any info on or even the actual part. It might not even have one haha! Anyways I do appreciate the reply and I know I’ll figure it out. Luckily I’m on vacation from work so I have a little time. Have a great day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.