Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one just want to say i love my cube kick ass lil car.

have a few ?'s for you

bulbs sizes for headlight fog lights and blinkers cuz i want to change them all

also im thinking bout going with hid in the headlights and fog lights. thinging bout going with the 12000k the purple ones. do you think the cops are going to bug me about that?

also where can i get all the bulbs hid's and blinkers

·
Registered
839 Posts
luke2334 said:
hello every one just want to say i love my cube kick ass lil car.

have a few ?'s for you

bulbs sizes for headlight fog lights and blinkers cuz i want to change them all

also im thinking bout going with hid in the headlights and fog lights. thinging bout going with the 12000k the purple ones. do you think the cops are going to bug me about that?

also where can i get all the bulbs hid's and blinkers
Luke, the Headlight bulbs are HB2, 9003, or H4, they're all interchangeable. Although there are slight differences in construction (internally) they will all work.

The signal bulbs are PY21W. You will often see them listed as 1156 and PY21W but they’re not the same. The 21’s have offset pins whereas the 1156 pins are directly across from each other.

As far as headlights go. HID’s look cool driving down the street from the front (if they don’t blind the other driver). But from my experience they are horrible used in a headlight fixture designed for Halogen bulbs. Although they are very bright the lenses cause a lot of light scatter.

As far as color goes, once you get above 5000 kelvins the lights get bluer (or purple), but the light output diminishes, the higher the Kelvin rating, the lower the light output. They may look bright to oncoming traffic but are actually putting out less light. Remember, the darker the color the worse they become in rain and fog.

There are several Halogen bulb choices up to about the 3900 kelvin range. These may not look as blue as HID’s but they to have a very slight blue hue. The light output is actually very bright and much safer because they are designed to be used in our halogen housings, without light scatter. It really depends on what you’re after. The coolness factor or safety. My personal preference is safety for both myself and oncoming traffic. - Dan

Reactions: Amanda Gaddis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey dan when you talk about safety what do you mean? will the head lights light on fire or something like that? also where is a good place to get bulbs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
what he means by safety is being able to see as well as being seen, correct me if im wrong dan -thomas

·
Registered
839 Posts
luke2334 said:
hey dan when you talk about safety what do you mean? will the head lights light on fire or something like that? also where is a good place to get bulbs.
Luke, when I talk about safety it's in terms of how well the lights work. HID's in a Halogen housing will scatter the light output. This could blind oncoming drivers and cause them to crash, maybe into the offending car (not good). The scattered beam will also impair your vision, especially in inclement weather.

Very blue or purple light output (over 5000k) appears to be bright, but the actual light output is diminished. Again causing it hard for you to see whats ahead, and much worse in inclement weather. Most HID's are less then 5000k.

Good bright Halogens are available from many sources like Osram, Phillips, CATZ, PIIA, etc. But don't put a higher watt bulb in there either, there's a good chance you'll fry your wiring unless you use a relay setup. 55/60 watt is stock.

In a HID headlight it isn't a blue tinted bulb that makes them appear blue. It's the filiment and gas inside the bulb that makes them look blue. To accomplish this effect in a Halogen bulb they have to tint the bulb glass reducing light output. But if you replace the stock bulb with a better Halogen you can almost have the HID look and at the same time better light output.

Osram Silverstars, PIIA's, and CATZ, are all good choices. HIR's are even better but they don't make them to fit the cube. - Dan

·
Registered
839 Posts
insanely^3 said:
what he means by safety is being able to see as well as being seen, correct me if im wrong dan -thomas
Right on Thomas with one simple addition. Being able to see and not blind oncoming drivers. - Dan

·
Registered
671 Posts
Generally speaking, the higher the degrees Kelvin, the higher the blue content of the light, and the less easy it is for the eyes to discriminate what is going on out there (the eyes work better at lower temps). Although super blue and ultra cool white may look real nifty, they're all bad news if your intent is to be able to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts