Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. So I've had my Cube for about a month now and finally decided to change out my bulbs for a new look. I bought some Polarg B1 Hybrids for my headlights, but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks before I buy any other ones.

So what kinds of bulbs would everyone else use? I was looking at SMD LED's, HID coversion kits, or high output halogens(e.g. Nokya, Luminics, PIAA, etc.)

Some questions I had,if anyone could answer them, are:
Are LED lights just really bright and for looks or do they improve visibility/sight distance(especially for headlights)?

What are the best high output halogens brands and should I consider buying higher wattage lights for more brightness?

Do heavy duty wire harnesses really let me use higher wattage bulbs without damaging anything?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm no lighting expert, but I have picked up a few things here and there.

As for halogen headlight bulbs, the rule seems to be the more you pay, the brighter the light and the shorter the life of the bulb. (This is from Sylvania.)

A lower color number (5000k range) translates into more useable light on the road.

As in all things, numbers don't mean everything. Construction counts for a lot. A 55w bulb from one company might not be as bright as a 35w from another. I know from what other people have done that using much higher wattage bulbs requires heavier wiring - depending on what is in the car already. Then you have to consider the heat output and your plastic headlight lens.

Car makers go to a lot of trouble making sure all components work right together, and even then they sometimes get it wrong (Look at Toyota's current problems.), so making modifications can be a trial and error process.

A word about HID conversion kits. Prices have been dropping like a rock. I have no idea how you would pick one brand over another. I installed two from the same company (vvme.com), and they are different in terms of high beams. On one car, there is just the HID bulb. To switch between high and low, there is a shield that moves up and down magnetically to direct the light. That works fine - fantastic light (4300k). On another car, there are two bulbd inside the glass: an HID and a halogen. The HID is fine - nice and bright. Switching to high beams brings the halogen on, and that's a disappointment. The ideal thing would be to figure how to get both bulbs lit at once for high beams, but I'm not about to get into that.

Let us know how this all works out, so you can help us decide what to do in the future.

Jerry

·
Registered
253 Posts
jerryc41 said:
On one car, there is just the HID bulb. To switch between high and low, there is a shield that moves up and down magnetically to direct the light. That works fine - fantastic light (4300k)
Jerry
This is the same type of HID's I have on my Cube, 55w, 4300k. They call them Bixenon. I got mine from Retro-Solutions. You're gonna pay more, but they're going to be better. I had cheap 35w, 8000k $50 eBay HID's on my other car, and they sucked. Normal halogens were brighter!

http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-173/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-CONVERSION/Detail

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow! Pricey.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts