Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out with the stocks lights but was very dim, then when hid's were popular I switched to those had them for a while I believe those cost me $70 and went thru 1 bulb change on those. Now I bought a set of led headlights from Amazon. I bought beamtech led headlights they had good reviews and the price was so good, only $40 out the door.

These are my observations on the advantages of the LED headlights

1. pure white light, like you see on BMW or high-end cars, (hids always had a bluish hue to them)

2. they run less hot than hids

3. The lights come on instantly no waiting few seconds to warm up like hids

4. Way smaller than hids, that ballast built into the LEDs vs having a separate ballast.

5. totally plug and play.

6. much brighter than hids and a crisp light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a set of Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0s they work very well. The cut off is sharp. The install is tricky. I'm still trying to sort out the boot on how to keep the water out. Pictures of low and high beams below. Straight from phone camera. Exposure's not locked. Only good for pattern reference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In New Zealand they rate LED headlights illegal unless the vehicle was sold with them, go figure i can't get it road legal for inspection unless I change from one to another b4 inspection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, bummer, do they perform the really detailed road worthiness inspections as well? I kind of view those as a good thing, people often drive vehicles that in my opinion are not road worthy and a danger to themselves and others. They're pretty easy to swap so not a huge loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes swap is the only way. They are also crazy on tints, they check all windows if they feel they are too dark. Testing stations don't do road tests its all in house using rollers etc but smaller approved garages road test. We also have limits on lowering, have to be 4" (100mm) off the road. Bear in mind we are a small country with lots of non city roads which tend to be neglected so aren't very smooth, asphalt is spot repaired so can be bumpy. On some city streets have use speed bumps to slow the hoons down. I owned a 2006 Cubic then a 2010 Cube, the 06 I gave to my g/daughter and just got back the 2010. I'm coming up 71yo, but still relish this task.
Regards Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is interesting. We have state by state laws on tint. Generally the police don't check you unless you're doing something dumb. I just always remember to roll my two fronts down and turn the dome light on. They only ever really have a problem if they can't see in. Put your hands where they can see them till they talk to you, make it bright and generally there's no issue.

4" is still pretty low, I think most paved road going cars are around 5.5" from the factory 1.5" is plenty to minimize the wheel gap without the ride going to total crap. From the guys that really like it low, from what I hear the way to go is air bags anyways so you can have both at the push of a button. There's people who say once you've gone with airbags you can't go back. Fortunately I'm not into that super low life.

I mysteriously came across a 2012 base model 6 speed with 23,600 last year when I was looking for a gig economy delivery car. I justified the modification as safety and being able to see house numbers. :) Sounds like you're really into these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts