Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here tried to install these? Just got thru fighting with the sticky tape, had it clamped in 5 different spots for like 30 minutes, couldn't get it to hold.. Had it stuck on to the rubber trim around the top of the window. bizarre thing is that if you take a good look at the trim, its like plastic on the sides and in the corners, but its like silicone rubber on the top. Thats the part that the 3M tape wouldn't stick to.. Any other VIP cubes here that have tried these?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm a ex-VIP Cube I guess. I'm sorry I don't have pics of how I did it, but I sold the curtains. I'll try to get a stick and pretend it's a rail and take pictures of that.

I used Belleza (needed that clean, no brand look), but they work the same way. I had to put the tape on the side of the rail instead of the top. Then I had to stick it onto the metal itself and ran it along the door. So my bends were very slight and only on one side. On the front, the tip of the rail just barely reached on the top of the door, so it was still visible from the inside.

On the back, the rail was pushed closer towards the front of the car so the rail tip couldn't be seen and was actually pressing against the rubber trim of the car. It leaves an indent on the rubber unfortunately. Also, the rear rails had to be bent slightly towards the window and ran just above the rubber. So only the corner of the rail had tape and only about 2 inches on both ends touched metal. The hook also went on the metal.

There is no way to stick it onto the rubber, at least I couldn't no matter what I did. Oh and to my misfortune, my tape to metal didn't last either. The tape ran the entire length of the rail, and stayed nicely in the front, but because there is less surface contact in the rear they fell off after about 2 weeks.

To fix the back, you can actually put tape along the entire rail and move it up a bit so that the entire rail touches metal and it can't be seen at all from inside the car unless from directly below it. It will basically stay between the metal and the rubber along the top of the door opening on the car. This can also be done on the front, BUT when opening the door it makes a weird sound and it doesn't open smoothly, it kinda suddenly pops open. It will also push in the rubber.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Thanks for this.. ended up putting the tape on the side of the metal curtain rails, and stuck it to the metal part of the doors like you said.. The bottom plastic rails stuck pretty well with the tape after lots of cleaning with alcohol. We think it came out great!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back up and give us a full view of the car from the side if you can :)

I like the look, and might put them on my car actually

·
Registered
268 Posts
Liquid_G said:
^^ Thanks for this.. ended up putting the tape on the side of the metal curtain rails, and stuck it to the metal part of the doors like you said.. The bottom plastic rails stuck pretty well with the tape after lots of cleaning with alcohol. We think it came out great!
Can you please take photos of this method you did? I'd like to see it since I'm a bit confused by it. Looking to do this soon as well.. Also where did your purchase your JP curtains?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought them from FizzAutoSports.com, they have a shop in the Chicago Burbs that had them. Good guys there.

I'll take some better pics tonight. That was just a "hey cool, post this on facebook" cellphone pic (lol).

·
Registered
148 Posts
buddy of mine told me this was on here.....mad props son.....looks bueno. MOAR PICS login off (*going back to work)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moar Pics as requested. Enjoy! Please try to ignore the hubcaps.. :( I think we may have wheels soon.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Here's how they are installed..
In this pic is the driver side door, normally the 3M tape is on the top of the rail, we took it off and put new tape on the side of the rail, and stuck it to the metal of the door.

Here you can see the imprint its making on the rubber molding on the car.

Only bad thing about doing it this way, it makes the door a little harder to close, and the top of the door sticks out just a wee bit.. Barely noticeable.

Bottom Rail for the front curtain. Stuck on with 3M Tape.

And the Tieback

Back door, done the same way. The Top Rails are metal, so you can bend them to curve around the window openings. Bottom rails are plastic.

Thanks again to TheGuy above for the suggestions on how to install them..
Any questions let me know!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you good sir. After careful consideration of your full length pictures, I couldn't go purchase them fast enough :)

Thank you very much for showing me a sweet new look for the box :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks great. Glad to have been of some help for this install. I look forward to what else you're going to do to this car. The farthest I got on my previous VIP-styled build was a drop (springs only, shouldve done coils from the beginning), curtains (all 5 doors, yes, even the trunk door), and neckpads. After the curtains fell off (on the freeway! embarrassing if anyone saw :-[) and I reconsidered it, I gave up on that build and moved onto a new one.

djbobbless said:
What size are the curtains btw?
I don't know about Liquid's curtains, but I'm pretty sure they're medium. I used medium and it just fits the Cube. Could probably do large, it will look a little loose, but it will extend to cover almost the entire window.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This morning I double checked the boxes I had, they are Small size actually. see pic

There's just enough stretch on them to make them look clean, but not too much that its pulling on the rails. Its perfect IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They look good I guess but what do they do? That center spot between the front and rear window is a bad blind spot for me when checking for oncoming cars. Great photos and have fun with your cube!

·
Registered
328 Posts
They do nothing really. I mean you can pull them out to block out the sun or the view into your car, but they're mainly for looks only. And yeah, that blind spot just gets bigger with curtains and distracting if you drive with your windows down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ yep been meaning to order one of those..

Just an update on these things.. the 3m tape on the bottom plastic rails didn't last very long for me. After 2 weeks the bottom rails on the front doors started peeling up..

I did some searching and found 3M VHB tape. #4952 is the product we used, for low surface energy surfaces (hard to stick to surface) It's been about 3 weeks and they been solid ever since..

·
Registered
328 Posts
meisrandy said:
Hey how much did you get the curtains for?

this is one of the cheapest site i found that sells JP stuff

http://autofashionstore.com/juprvipcu.html

is that price for just 1 curtain? so would i have to get 4? so that would be 480$? cause that seems way too much
You can get them from PG Motoring also.
http://www.pgmotoringusa.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1510

It's $112 a set. So a set/box is normally two curtains, two upper rails, two lower rails, and all the miscellaneous hooks and stoppers. I think it might come with some tape as well, but it usually sucks and you'll want to buy stronger, automotive grade tape at least. $120 from that site should be for a set or one box.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts